Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-29-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
Coming down 99. I see 2 routes.

In Manteca take highway 120 then down La Grange to Fleming Meadows.

In Modesto take highway 132 then up La Grange to Fleming Meadows.

According to google maps the highway 132 route is one mile shorter nut 15 minutes longer?

We did this about 4 years ago and I can't remember which way we went. So any advice we would be great.

We will also be shore camping and any advice on where to head would be nice as well. The only stipulation being we want to stay at the lower end of the lake near the dam for the fireworks show on Saturday.

We have only been to this lake once back in 2006 and shore camped and enjoyed it. We stayed right around the North Bay by what according to their map is called mine Island. Not bad but it did get a bit crowded. Would like a little more privacy if possible.

Thanks
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-29-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Take 120. The 132 route through modesto has a ton of stop and go.
I know nothing about the shore camping setups there.
Have fun - the lake is FULL.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-29-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
call Lon
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-29-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
120 for sure will be the fastest route. The only downfall is that it'll drop you at the opposite end of the lake from the fireworks show. Not a problem if you camp somewhere in the middle by the waterfall.

We used to go every year for the fireworks. The craziness happens in the few minutes after the fireworks end. IMO it's way easier to just bring some food/drinks and hang on the boat for an extra hour or so until all the idiots doing 30mph in the pitch black get away from where you're at.

Have fun, be safe. I love that place.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-30-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
Another vote for the 120 route vs 132. There is a turn off 120 for both the east and west shore launches, so you can hit either end from 120. We were there on Monday (great day). Talked to a guy when we were leaving.....he had his weed wacker in the boat. He was down near the fireworks area, and had picked out his shore camp spot, weed-wacked the area, set up two tents, some ropes to designate his area, and put his buoy in the water. He is now all set up for this weekend.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-30-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
I like in Manteca and Don Pedro is the only lake I really go to. Fleaming Medows and Blue Oaks camp grounds.

I take hwy 120 and make a right on La Grange and left onto Bonds Flat Road.

The county paved La Grange Rd, its an easy drive now.....
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2010, 11:08 PM Reply   
The lake is full. Good luck with shore camping.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-01-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
120 it is. Thanks for the help
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-02-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
120 was a fairly easy route. Unfortunately we found a tree lurking just under the surface of the water as we looking for a camping spot. Rudder, Prop, and Strut all done. Quick holiday trip. 2 1/2hrs to lake, 2 hrs on lake, 2 1/2 hrs home.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-02-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
Yeah I remembered a question on this site recently about debris in Don Pedro and everyone saying not to worry about it.

I just got back yesterday from a 5 day houseboat trip. Debris could certainly be worse but I saw several prop killers each day and lots big enough to take some gel coat with em.

One of the days I was gassing up at the Marina I was chit chatting with the guy and they had lost two props that day already. One on a rental boat and the other on a houseboat maintenance boat.

Normally, on these trips we ride until true dark. Not this trip which for sure cut down our evening ride time but I wasn't taking a chance on the trip being cut short. We staying in railroad to long one night and idled back to the houseboat since it was to dark to go at speed and be sure we wouldn't hit a prop killer.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-04-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Just got back and it was bad on the lake. We were there two weekends ago and only saw a few floaters. The lake has filled though and is not at the top of the spillway. I guess the couple feet of water in the past couple weeks has got everything off the shore. When it drops it will clean up as stuff gets left on shore with the dropping water.
We were coming back through the canyon towards Moccasin after the fireworks and it was like a mine field in the pitch black!