Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
I know this is not a jet-ski info website, but everybody seems to know a little bit ab. everything so I thought why not. This thread is not for myself, but for a buddy. He's got a '99 Kawasaki STX 1100 in GREAT condition. The things got less than 200hrs, trailer, cover, no dings, cracks ect. real nice jet ski. Well hes now bought a lake house and moved in last summer, and is trying to buy a nice older wake boat. Of course he wants to sell the ski first to get some money for a down payment, or he's thinking of trading it in if he finds a boat at a dealer.

Does anyone know whatthis model year/jet-ski worth? I booked it on NADA and it came to a low retail of $3200 and a high retail of $3600, and I'm pretty sure that's what the banks go by for value, ect. I told him to ask around $3,800 and negotiate from there. He's deciding whether he should sell this out-right, or trade it in to a dealer? I'm trying to convince him to sell it himself and use the cash for a down payment so his payment will be lower. I just wanted to get you guys' opinions on this, any further info is appreciated.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
Tell your friend to check craigslist, boattrader and maybe pwctoday.com. To see whats out there. Do a search around that model year, 98-00.

this will give him a good idea as to what other guys are asking in his area.

As far a trading it in, it just depends on what the dealer is willing to do, if anything.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-18-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
IMO, if he can only get $3k for it and it's in great condition why not just keep it...the guy just bought a lake hosue, does $3k really make that much of a diff.
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-18-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
One advantage to trading in the ski is not having to pay the sales tax on the traded in amount. So for example, if you traded in the ski for $3500, and bought a boat for $20000. You would pay $1155 (7% tax) in sales tax if you traded it in, versus $1400 if you did not trade it in.

So, if you can get more than $265 over what the dealer is offering, then you should sell it yourself.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
Sam,
I hear ya..but in this case yea that 3k does make a diff. We're a younger crowd and he's got minimal income. The lake we ride is not really a jet-ski lake, he used to take trips to the ozarks a lot so actually did what jet skis are supposed to do, rather then go out at 7pm on a Wed. night and turn up butter, like most of them seem to do. Regardless, he's decided to sell to save money, we all are. Good call Clay, that seems like a good direction to go, thanks.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
Trading probably will not fetch low retail. Of course the dealer can work the numbers to make it look like you got a good trade, but most know about that game. Better list it quick though if he wants to sell or trade. PWCs tend to be more seasonal than boats.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Clay, what state do you live in? I know in AZ they did trades and no tax on used like you describe, but in CA you pay sales tax no matter what. New , used, trade, you pay pay pay. Oh, and its 8.75% in my county.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
He probably looked up NE sales tax, we're at 7%.