Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-12-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
I am by no means a mechanic so maybe the terms might be wrong but this is the jist:

Question in regards to carburetors...my old 1986 PCM 351 Ford Winsor motor had an edlebrock carb on it...was giving me major issues, so we replaced it with a marine Holley 4160(I think that model)...and having trouble tuning it...basically it was pouring gas into the intake and making the boat flood and studder and die...we noticed a couple o-rings and thought jets and needles might be set wrong...so went for a carb rebuild...worked fine in the shop that night...no gas pouring in...came back to it in the morning to finish the spring tuneup and adjust and run compression...but started pouring gas again...back to the flooding problem...wondering if anyone has any ideas or even suggestions on what to look for? I have it at a marine mechanic and he has had it apart 3+times...just doesn't make sense...

Ideas??? Could it have to do with the fuel pump (mechanical one) putting too much pressure?

Thanks for any help...Nick
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
Nick
let me start by saying that I am not a carb guy or a mechanic in any way.....but I have built a few hotrods in my day...

I can't really diagnose your problem, but I am sure that someone here will have the answer you are looking for

It's been my experience that you are the type of guy that likes to always tinker with and adjust how your engine runs....get a Holly....they are fantastic carbs

but

if you are the type of guy that wants to set it up once and forget it....get anything but a Holly

having said that, I agree with your pressure comment
make sure that the supply line is in good shape and that it connects well with the carb

good luck
I know this didn't help.......
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-12-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
Sound like the Float is set too high. Nothing wrong with either model, choose one and get it rebuilt, installed and tuned by a pro.

Where did you "notice a couple of Orings" as the Needle & Seat are attached to the Float, and along with the jets are internal components located in the Bowl(s).

If a carb is rebuilt correctly, installed and set up correctly, any carb should be a set it and forget it, I've done hundreds.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
ha!
that's what I meant to say
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-12-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
yup yup. thats right.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-12-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
thanks...

actually the marina is doing the whole setup...I bought the Holley for the reason the bowls sit on the front to back...where the edlebrock had side floats which gave a hell of a time setting...and we always had a studder problem...so everyone uses Holleys so figured I would try it too...but the mechanic there was the one that told me about the orings...due to gas leaking out the side of the carb where that small connecting tube connects up the bowls and also that gas was dumping into the intake and studdering when he was trying to tune it...so he wanted to just make sure and threw a carb kit in it...but he said he adjusted everything several times and still dumps gas...I did some google search and hoping it will be the fuel pump issue...but he is going to try and check it out tomorrow...thanks for any ideas...and even comments...
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-12-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
I have the same motor and the one thing i would absolutely recommend is changing the fuel filter/water separator if you haven't already. Doing that relieved a lot of the problems that i thought were carb/fuel pump related. Good luck
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-12-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
really? I will give that a try...that is easy...I was also wondering if bad gas would do it...I stabilized it but we are stumped.

thanks
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-12-2008, 10:43 PM Reply   
I was convinced I was having carb problems and turned out it was the FF/WS. Your right it's easy and cheap. Mine was bogging down hard above half throttle. When i took of the FF/WS and poured it out it looked like diet coke. I put a new one on went out to the Delta and it ran perfect. Got home took off the FF/WS and poured some out and it was clear. I will change it every 50-100 hours now. I hope you have the same luck.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-13-2008, 5:09 AM Reply   
Always a good Idea to change the w/f sep filter on a regular basis, but fuel overflowing from the bowl into the venturi, points to a float/needle & seat problem. Also not good to have fuel leaking from the transfer tube.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
Nick,

Had the same sort of issue with my HOlley 4160. The problem for me was the gasket between the metering block and the rear (stern) bowl. The ones that came with the rebuild kit did not properly fit. Either Holley changed the design of all their 4160, or the marine version is different.

My friend, the gear-head, was able to find the correct metering block gasket online somewhere... you may want to ask your mechanic about this. I wish I had a link for you, I tried looking. If this turns out to be the issue, email me and I'll go look at the part box out in my garage :-)