Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-30-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
I'll admit I haven't done a ton of research on this topic (although I have a few ideas on what I'm looking for), but I was hoping someone could make a couple of recommendations on a good quality head unit.

Here are my necessary specs for this CD player:

- halfway decent onboard wattage
I'm running plenty of power with external amps, but I still have the bow speakers operating off the head unit, so I'd like them to sound halfway decent.

- high voltage pre-outs, aux out, remote out, and sub out
I'm looking for 2 (or more?) pre-outs, a remote out that I can use for my wired remotes, an aux out for my 1/8" connection for the iPod, and a sub output that will allow for sub level adjustment from the head unit.

- quality CD player - it's on a boat so it would be nice if it didn't skip when we hit the d-up

- Bells and Whistles - I realize that with multiple pre-outs and an adjustable sub out come the bells and whistles, but I'm not too overly concerned with color changes. I would, however, like to have an adjustable EQ or some sort of sound shaping technology.

Thanks for your input.

(Message edited by tparider on July 30, 2006)

(Message edited by tparider on July 30, 2006)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-30-2006, 10:54 PM Reply   
oh yeah, and if I could control the iPod directly from the head unit instead of from the iPod itself, that would be killer.

thanks again
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-30-2006, 11:52 PM Reply   
I bought this from Crutchfield. I think it has all the things you are looking for. Check out the specs:

Upload
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-31-2006, 12:29 AM Reply   
thanks for the suggestion. I found it online for $169 - sound about right?

How has it performed lately with regard to skipping? Can you control your iPod from the head unit directly?
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-31-2006, 6:05 AM Reply   
I have had great luck with Pioneer. They are bulletproof. Mine has been extremely reliable, doesn't skip, sounds great, and has all the features you mentioned. My particular one is a DEH-7700, but they have many that would do the job.
Old    walt            07-31-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
I'll second the Pioneer.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-31-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
Pioneer Premier deh-p480mp, ebay.

(Message edited by ttuclint on July 31, 2006)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-31-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
I'll 3rd the pioneer.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-31-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
I have run 2 Pioneers in the past, but descided to go with an Alpine this time and am very happy with it. It is the 9857 it controls the Ipod much better. I am going to put the same Alpine on my next boat. Check out www.alpine-usa.com

(Message edited by oaf on July 31, 2006)
Old    swass            07-31-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
Based on my limited experience, I'd recommend staying away from Kenwood. I have a Kenwood head unit in my truck. It's a steaming pile of poo. It overheats, it skips, and as an added bonus it recently started making a very loud, annoying "ticking" sound.
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-31-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
Alpine is the best been using them for 20 yrs
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-31-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
I don't think Alpine has a marine hard wired remote?
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-31-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
I'll second the steaminess of the Kenwoods.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-31-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
My stock kenwood has been fine up untill sat nite...it now sometimes won't turn on.(it has power going to it)
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-31-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Eclipse makes high quality decks, although I use a Rockford(MB Quart) marine.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-31-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
i've had good luck with my kenwood kdc-mp4028 for 2 seasons now, but it has a pretty low volt out, i think it's only like 1.5 or 2 or something. i'll probably go with a pioneer when it goes tu. i want one with the burr brown dac.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-31-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
I haven't played too many cd's in the Panasonic as it does control the ipod from the headunit so we've been using that. You need the ipod cable though.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-31-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
second eclipse. may not be a lot of marine options, but great product
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-31-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
Adam-
You are correct about the remote. I know you can get a PAC controler and wire a sony remote to an Alpine head unit. I have seen many guys do this. Personally I like to have the head unit with in arms length so I can use the HU remote if I want.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-31-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
i did the access technologies marine pad (same as sony old marine commander) along with a pac learning remote and infrared extender. it works great.

(Message edited by brucemac on July 31, 2006)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-31-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
eclipse....these are the best head units without going into the esoteric big buck models... i am using mine with a pac ir remote repeater..

btw, they make a couple 8v/16v head units that can be had for pretty cheap... the 8053 still is the best unit they ever made imo however it is a preamp unit only

there are a couple pioneer elites that have a wired remote
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-31-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
thanks for all the replies. I'm going to do some ebay-ing and see what I come up with...
Old    walt            07-31-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   

quote:

By swass (swass) on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 8:02 am:

Based on my limited experience, I'd recommend staying away from Kenwood. I have a Kenwood head unit in my truck. It's a steaming pile of poo. It overheats, it skips, and as an added bonus it recently started making a very loud, annoying "ticking" sound.

Swass was being way to kind ! I've had a few Kenwoods and they are the biggest POS made.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
I know alot of people dont like the Clarion.
I like the new CMD-4. I havent had the low voltage issues the XMD-3 and XMD-1 had. The user controls IMO are way better than lots of other unit's. IMO the Clarion marine remote's are the best. yes there are better HU's but there remote's are lame. I think the best way to do a HU is put it in a glove box and then mount the remote close to the driver. The rotery volume knob on the CMD-4 is great. Plus the CMD-4 is a inexpencieve unit/
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-31-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
are the new clarion's still double din or din and a half or whatever?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-31-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Let me add something to your "must have" list:

Auxiliarly inputs!

Since I figured out how to get the Ipod interfaced to the Clarion head unit we rarely use the CD, and the six disk changer has been taken off the boat.

If you don't have an Ipod or similar MP3 player then I recommend that you get one! It is common for the next in line to go riding to start queueing up his choice of music on the Ipod. I don't even use the remote anymore, just control everything directly from the Ipod.