Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
just started trying the backroll and the 10 times or so I've done it I always slide out at the end. It feels like as soon as I see the water I hit it, slide out and the rope is yanked hard all at the same time. I do tend to be looking at the board and water when it's all going down. Anyone been through this and have any tips - I'm dying to stomp it and move on to something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFt42HkYPIU
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Looks like you are just over-rotating. I have landed that way a few times myself. I have yet to stomp one as well. ... I have tried more that 10 though.

You are close. Just keep with it.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-18-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
It looks like you're over rotating a tad as well as rotating a little bit towards revert, meaning your back leg is coming forward a little which will cause you to land at 90 degrees. Try not to let your right shoulder come forward and you'll have an easier time landing.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       07-18-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
hard to see exactly from the video, but it looks to me like you let go with your front hand as you were landing, which would tend to cause you to slide out as you did. keep both hands on the handle, and as you are completing the rotation, pull the handle in hard to your front hip.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-18-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
Your body position when leaving the wake is the same position you will land. So, if you're coming out of your rotation and you're slipping out. That means you're slipping out off the top of the wake. Wait a second longer and wait for the pop off the wake before you throw your roll. In you're video, you are initiating your rotation on the way up the wake. Also, when coming out of your rotation spot the water and look for the shoreline. This will keep your shoulders from squaring up.

Good Luck.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Looks like your edging in pretty hard and having to slow down right at the wake. Whenever I start having to "slow down" thru the wake, regardless of what I'm doing , it throws me off.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-18-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
exactly what hahn solo said.
Old    00wakesetter            07-18-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
Take a shorter cut also. Slow it down a little.
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
I've got to agree with Dtb, keep the handle in close to your hip when coming down. This will keep your hips into it and not let you sit down when you land.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-18-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
I agree with Dtb also, much better explained than what I tried to put into words.
Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
In looking closer at the video i agree with the rope thing. I'll try to pull that sucker in tighter on the landing and try to increase my edge a bit at takeoff. I hope the increased edge and holding the rope in tighter doesn't make me do 2 back rolls.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-18-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Like kyle and Adam said your edging in to hard for this trick. Cut out just like you would a w2w start slow and build up progressive edge all the way into the wake.When you start to rise up the wake push with your legs while simultaneously throwing your head toward the tail of your board then just let the boat do the rest.You have it you just need to slow it down.Good Luck bro.!

(Message edited by duffy on July 18, 2006)
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-19-2006, 4:02 AM Reply   
my buddy todd anthony always says, "Go bigger, rotate slower" if that helps too.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-19-2006, 4:35 AM Reply   
Keep both hands on the handle and keep it close on the landing. You are starting to go to revert and keep you eyes open and spot your landing
Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-19-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
Yipee!

I landed 2 back to back this morning and rode away. The big key for me was to focus on the boat (verus watching the water and the board) as soon a I came around. It made it super simple to get on edge and pull away. Makes you really understand how important what you look at matters.

As an added plus I was able to bust my board (trans plat 06) in half on a failed previous back roll. My wife is running over as I write this to pick up the replacement. I actually ended up landing this on my 05 abs plat - which I don't ride as well as my transcend.

Thanks for everyones help. It all added up!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-19-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
now let go with your lead hand for roll to reverts. I think r2r's are easier than regular rolls.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-20-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Just watched your vid like 10 times. With that mad cut you outa try a raley instead of a backroll.
Start out about HALF that distance from the wake to throw a backroll.
Otherwise, your all over it like flys on poo.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-20-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
you have to stop the rotation. as soo as you get upside down, and you feel the tug on the rope. take your head out of the flip. good luck
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-21-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
I had two ro three comments in this thread, but they aren't here anymore... Are the moderators deleting them, or is the website screwing up?
Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Xgirl, that was actually my mild/slow cut.

I bought a wakeskate yesterday and am going to throw a few raley's on it to make sure I don't stargaze since i'm back loaded. Hoping to have a raley under my belt by end of week.

Andy,
Stopping the rotation was the key for me - what worked was spotting the boat out of the roll and focusing on the tower and riding away. This must have stopped the rotation and kept my chest up. Felt like a regular hs wake jump landing.