Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-16-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
or is Shane Bonifay the only rider out there that can do anything cool with any style one the tour sliders, watching sum of the stuff on tv and looking at all the pics, lik kelona, Shane is the only one doing anything cool, presses, tail slides, legit stuff that would look even cool in a video, all the rest, sorry no offense to you guys(rest of the pros), but its almost embarrasing, bordslide or front board everytime, stuff the wakeskaters are doing and you've been doing for years now on the same damn rails, I know you guys can do it cause I've seen in in the videos, but the tour makes alot of guys look really amatuer when it comes to rails, Im mean Im not that good on rails and I can do what 50% of the pros are doing on those same old boring rails the pro tour, whats up with that too, ever year they should have somthing newer, bigger, harder, I mean man these guys are pros, not sum dumb lame rails, that MOST amatuers can hit, this is a long post so I'll just keep going, and even sum of the cool stuff, like 270 on the flat 270, you guys have been doing that stuff(even though it is cool and you do it good) for years, I mean Watson was doing that stuff on those same boring flat rail for what 4-5 years now, it reminds me of when Randall Harris used to ride, he was never a pussy or took it easy, he rode the same all the time, in the pro tour and in free riding, when he did a huge ass double grabbed switch 540 15 feet out into the flats when we were riding together, free riding and he did that same trick, cutting harder than most of the pros cut for a raley, batwing, or s bend and either stuck the sickest 5 ever seen in the contest or crashed harder than anyone out the and still got back up and killed it, whatever the outcome is was exciting to watch for everyone, my point is when he rode he rode, he didn't have 2 different styles, one for free riding and videos(which is off the hook) and then another lame pussy wake to wake, basic boardslide these simple rails style for the pro tour,come on guys and people actually wonder why the x games dropped wakeboarding, you guys are boring to watch, you truely are, sliding basic, wake to wake tricks, when we all know you can do that 3 or 5 way out into the flats, grow sum balls,. you're supposed to be the best of the best, show it off, they spectators are watching the videos expecting to see that stuff an you're showing em stuff that lame, even your double ups, the same trick contest after contest mixed it up show sum variety, do you only practice one run the whole year, I mean I can do a good melon 5 9 out of 10 time, but I can do a sick melon 5 way outta into the 5 1 outta of every 15 times, so if i was in the pro tour I'd do the easy one that I could hit and Im an amatuer, and can you only do 1 really cool double up trick,whats up, going back to the Vandal, when he rode and hit the dbl up, you never knew what he was gonna do, he hade more than 20 sick huge tricks that you might see and until he was out there riding you never or I dont even think he knew what he was gona throw, it made it fun interesting, no offense to Parks, the best wakeboarder ever along side with Byerly and Randall, when he rode in the tour, you could almost call it trick for trick what he was gonna do, not all the time or not anything close to as bad as the rest, but when he hit the dbl up, we almost knew is was either gonna be a dbl halfcab roll or a switch 9, well this is getting ridiculiousdly long, whatta do you think, the sports never gonna get the respect it really deserves if everyone doesnt step it up, the riders complain that the tour sux and doesnt have harder rails or a good way to show the best riding, well stop riding in it, everyone should ban it until they make it the way the riders can be thier best in it then the riders need to grow sum balls and ride how they do in thier free riding and if they cant do that in a contest run, then they aren't true pros, practice harder, get better, be entertaining so its fun for us to watch and then maybe stuff like the x games wont drop the sport, people say the x games dropped it cause it was too far away fro the main venure, ect... no it was cause it was boring and no one was watching it, if it was cool exciting and fun to watch they would have Never dropped it, so whats your opinion???
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-16-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
I do wish there was a way to judge someone going out there and charging it instead of just standing something up or not. It's almost like the riders friend needs to be another judge category to judge if it was something hard, new, or just better then most of that riders attempts to add to the final score!

Never gonna be perfect though. It does seem like placing 5-10 means you go out and have a good warm up run for freeriding though! Maybe there needs to be a contest for the best linked back to back 3-5 tricks. Kinda like a best trick contest but with a little more consistency.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-16-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
when i started reading that i never thought i'd finish it, but you kept me chugging along the whole way, mostly good points, i'm not sure calling all the pros pussies is a good idea, there is probably just something us amateurs don't understand, and i thinka large part of that is sponsorship, until someone can consistenly get out there and do more than wahtever everyone else is doing now, they are going to take the safer 3rd place, what this sport needs is someone so totally into only just it, that they aren't afraid to make sponsors mad by getting dq'ed for falls..
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-16-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
Sorry to say, but having separate paragraphs help make your post more readable.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-16-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Dirty it is nice to see you around these parts, are you filming wakeboarding/skating again?
I miss your contirbutions and yes you speak the truth. Keep on brother keep on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    damon            07-16-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Great insight! Agree about the paragraph though, my eyes hurt!!LOL
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
Go out and try doing a nosepress, and then try doing what Rusty is doing on the transfer. Tell me which is harder.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-16-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
You make good points, but I don't think the riders are the ones to be blamed. I mean for a lot of them this is their CAREER, so yes it is a lot smarter to pull off the tricks that you know you can nail almost everytime and place well in the contest as opposed to pulling off your insane tricks that you don't stick consistently. At least this way they are getting a payday. The problem is with the contest formats. They are set up in a way that supports this type of riding. I think less emphasis needs to be put on falling and more on what is being attempted. I don't know what would make for a better format for judging contests but I do know that you are right and something needs to be done to make them more entertaining.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-16-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
"Lame rails that most amatuers can hit" Dirty I can assure you that most amatuers can not transfer the "Box" H/S much less T/S. And a switch 270 on 90 out on the Box is a lot harder then a nose press on a flat bar...
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
It's true, nosepresses are hella easy. And you wouldn't believe the number of Junior Men that ate *@&$ on the transfer in Kelowna.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-17-2006, 11:22 PM Reply   
haha guys are you kidding me, you are comparing the flat bar to the fun box, 2 totally diferent rails, Rusty's tranfer on the fun box and Shanes nose press on the flat rail are 2 diiferent things, Im not trying to talk sh*t on any of the pros, they are all great at what they do, the best in the world and I know alot of them and they are all good guys, so sorry guys I didn't mean anything bad by saying pussis or grow sum balls, ect, but most of these guys are WAY better than they ride in the contests, they go way bigger, have way better style, Im just saying stop playing it safe doing the same run all year long, you're gonna more respect and if they all start doing it the sport will change for the better, doing new stuff, harder stuff, crazier bigger things, take sum chances, youi might fall more than before but just imagine when you stomp it and blow everyones mind, no one ever became a superstar or a legend by playing it safe, like I said all these guys are the best of the best and they are way better then they ride in these contest, so lets see it, come on guys, I think the Vandal just needs to come back and show em how to do it right, GOD since he left I don't even like watching the sport that much any more, seriously, you see people do stuff now all these guys are like WoW that was cool, our old is like big deal I saw Randy or Walhman do that same thing 4-5 years ago and 10-15 feet out into the flats or instead of grabbin it they double grabbed that switch 7, think Im lying, I wish you guys could of seen those 2 freeride AMAZING, PArks, Danny, Rusty, ect all amazing and soooo good, but none of them, sorry guys, ride in the contest like they ride any other time its depressing, boring,ect whatever, if you don't get what Im talking bout you probably never will

you know who killed it and rode the same all the time too, one of the best contest riders EVER, Shapiro, front flip stalefish 2 blind 15 feet out into the flats everytime!!!! he either pulled it off the best or eat sh*t soooo hard, where the hell did that guy go, him and Randy need to come back, hahaha this is soo funny Im wondering how many of you are gonna really be pissed off about this and take me seriously, Im just hopeing this starts some drama and lights a fire under some of these guys asses to push them harder to go out there and shut me the hell up, hahaha.....

p.s. Im not writing a term paper here so who cares about spelling or paragraphs or run on sentences, what else, yes I can hit thos flat bars do bs and front boards and back lips. well at least 3-4 years ago I could I dont ride anymore really, and those fun boxes are HARD, at first, give anyone a month or 2 and tranfering isn't that hard, I used to be abble to transfer to bs or front board, probably not anymore, I don't go out during the day unless its for my pool party Intervention in the OC, Rehab in Vegas or going to Havasu with my crew and the ladies, so no Im not involved with anything in wakeboarding anymore, still luv it, but there's not enough money, fun, or girls in it to keep me busy messing around with it, I just ride for fun every now and agian, I party for a living now, I cant wait to read the responses to this one :-)
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2006, 6:11 AM Reply   
Not all the contest sliders are small. I saw Ike throw a 3 off the step up on this rail last year. It was a thing of beauty - something straight out of a DVD.

No offense to Shane, but his nosepresses on the smaller rails didn't come close. I think Rathy's got a lot of slider style too.

Upload
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-18-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
I admit I didn't read the whole post (because it was a bit too long for me, but I have a few opinions on the subject...

First off, Randy Harris is a great freerider, but when is the last time you saw him win a pro competition? That type of riding doesn't fare well on the tour, because of the risk involved. You have to remember that many riders are going for consistency, and trying to make money on the tour (from both prize money, and sponsor incentives for good finishes).

Second off, I am not sure that higher difficulty rails are the solution either. Watching riders barely clear an obstacle is even MORE boring to watch. If the rail is too hard, then the pros REALLY start to look like amateurs. I think the rails aren't the problem, it is the riders. And, we know why the riders take it easy on them...for consistency. But, can you really blame them? Think about this...If a rider tries two tricks that he has a pretty good chance of landing (lets say 50-50 chance on each trick), he now only has a 25% chance of sticking that run. So by sticking two somewhat risky moves into his run, he now has only a 1 in 4 chance to land his pass (and thats if all of his other tricks go smoothly). Those aren't the greatest odds.

That is why I don't watch any of the tour. It is pretty boring once you've seen it before. Even when I was on it back in the day, it was boring to watch. I get sick of seeing the same passes week in and week out. I hate how the "robots" are rewarded for there sometimes uninspiring pass. But that is just the nature of the beast. I can't blame them for it. I understand why they do it. It's just how it works. Consistency is the formula to success on the tour. You also have to remember that 80% of the people watching don't know the difference anyways.

I'm not saying that anybody is right or wrong... I am just trying to elaborate why I think the tour is the way it is.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
And what about Laske? You telling me he doesn't throw down on the rails in comps?

Mike - all good points. Good to hear another perspective.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
I know that Mike and you're right, still just trying to see if anyone will read this and maybe start progressing it faster and/or start taking moree risks ya know, and for the pic of that rail, I think from wakestock, Im only taking bout the pro tour rail, all the other contest like wakestock, toe jam, ect... are doing a sick job with progressing the sport in the right way and when you see the riders ride there its sooo much more fun to watch