Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sniper)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-27-2013, 12:05 AM Reply   
Hey guys

Been watching this thread for a while, had an interesting thought........

Both the NSS and Surfgate look to be based around the idea of trim tabs mounted off the hull sides at the transom

Surf gate is very similar to a set of lenco/bennet trim tabs mounted vertically

The NSS is very similar theory to the ql trim tabs by Volvo penta, again mounted vertically

Trim tabs have been around for nearly as long as powerboats, is it all of a sudden possible to patent where you can and can't mount them?

Thoughts?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-27-2013, 5:28 AM Reply   
Anythings possible these days!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-27-2013, 9:50 AM Reply   
Wow, nexer saw the volvo QL system. Wonder how hard it'd be to intigrate a ql assembly to a wakeboat.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-27-2013, 4:24 PM Reply   
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/VO-QL3841717.htm

Looks easy to add on...works like the nautique system. slides out.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-28-2013, 5:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/VO-QL3841717.htm

Looks easy to add on...works like the nautique system. slides out.
That's cool as hell.. the only real difference seems to be that the NSS wraps around the corner so it intercepts the water on the bottom and side.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-28-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
So you take the plate out of the QL, make one that matches the curve of your hull. Then mount it at an angle and you're done.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-28-2013, 2:40 PM Reply   
this will be an easy add on. even a manual slide that sticks our 2 inches then just slide it in when done. simple
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-28-2013, 8:11 PM Reply   
you could use 4 gl's. 2 on each corner. probably just hook the 2 on each corner to come out at same time. See page 14 on this link.

great-water.com/store/PDF/manuals/Trim_Sys_%20install.pdf

Last edited by scottb7; 01-28-2013 at 8:13 PM.
Old     (BuckleNation)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-24-2013, 5:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I would go into details on why, but given reaction to previous posts I will simply say no, it is different enough.
I have heard that the lawsuits against correct craft will begin in two months. Their patent is pretty solid!
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2013, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckleNation View Post
I have heard that the lawsuits against correct craft will begin in two months. Their patent is pretty solid!
Time will tell. I am basing my statements of fluid dynamics and having a hand it writing patents. How do you define a patent being solid in your own words? Although we do live in a world where Apple was awarded a style patent on rounded corners, so perhaps relying on logic in the legal system is a stretch...

Last edited by MattieK27; 03-25-2013 at 6:31 AM.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-25-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
well, what will be really interesting, if they have a lawsuit, if they ask for a judge to order nautique to crease equipping their boats with NSS, pending the outcome>
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-25-2013, 4:44 PM Reply   
What would be more interesting would be to see them take the million or so bucks they are going to spend fighting over the patent, and instead team up with each other, and use the money to improve the wakesurf technology even further. A million thrown into surf system r&d could put Malibu/Nautique miles ahead of anything else out there
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdoggy View Post
What would be more interesting would be to see them take the million or so bucks they are going to spend fighting over the patent, and instead team up with each other, and use the money to improve the wakesurf technology even further. A million thrown into surf system r&d could put Malibu/Nautique miles ahead of anything else out there
First they have to catch up to the top surf boats.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
What? MB?
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-25-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Top surf boats? You mean Enzos right? Or X30?
Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-25-2013, 9:24 PM Reply   
I saw these at the boat show 10 days ago.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-26-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
you so FUNNY!
Old     (iamcdn)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-27-2013, 7:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckleNation View Post
Anyone heard anything further here?
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-27-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcdn View Post
Anyone heard anything further here?
I haven't really heard anything but I don't think there is. They are totally different in design and functionality that I don't think there can be one.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-27-2013, 3:51 PM Reply   
I really am interested in those volvo ql tabs...Not just for surfing but for keeping bow rise down and keeping the boat balanced if too many people are on one side while cruising... you think they create a lot more drag than a traditional tab? My intuition says they do but fluid dynamics isn't my expertise either...