Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    oldschool            03-20-2003, 7:07 AM Reply   
I need some help. Can someone check the rudder on their Launch to see if it has any play from left to right? I would REALLY appreciate any help on this. I just want to make sure this is normal play I have.

The play I am referring to is steering play. If someone can go out to their Launch and grab the rudder by the back and act as if you were steering the boat, turn the rudder left to right and let me know if there is a little play before you start to see the wheel turning.

I hit a log and fixed everything so far and want to make sure this play is normal.
Old    sean123            03-20-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
Craig,

Yep... Its very little play but its there... and Mine is new..

Sean
Old    coachsambo            03-20-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
Same for me. I hit a sandbar last summer and tore up my prop. I had the prop reconditioned, but i was afraid I bent the shaft and loosen the rudder. Took it in because I could turn it and thought there was some play in it. it was all ok. So play is ok.
Old    oldschool            03-20-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
Ok, thanks guys! I probably have about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of play left to right, but it seems like it has to be up in the steering wheel box. When I turn the rudder in the back everything moves. When I turn the wheel there is some play and I notice that nothing in the back moves.

Looks like I got lucky then. Only had to replace the bushings. Well, ok, I am not sure how lucky I am yet. I still have to check the prop to see if it is bad, but so far I have only had to replace the bushing and adjust the strut.

Supra owners may be pleased to know that you can get a Teak Swim Platform for $300 from a guy in Sacremento. I found his ad on Ebay. I hope it looks much better than the fiberglass.
Old    bcw            03-21-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
Craig,

Hey I work at a dealership. I'll find out the specs on your rudder as far as how much play it should have and get them to you. I'm pretty sure a slight play in the rudder is normal, but I'll check with our master machanic for you.

Brett
Old    oldschool            03-24-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
Ok, I was wrong, there is about 1/2" of play from left to right. I got the boat put back together and have discovered the prop is bent somewhere.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old    coachsambo            03-24-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
Craig, On your ballast system. When you connected your bilge pump up to drain your front sack, Did you give it electricity from the accessory switch on the dash. I used your ballast set up. It works great, but I wondered if you hook the power wire from the rule pump to accessory switch and the ground to the battery or somewhere else. I did this and I think it drained my battery. Also, on the drain, what size drill did you use to go through the hull. Help, thanks Sam
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-25-2003, 5:14 AM Reply   
Craig, glad to hear it wasn't too serious with the prop. Are you planning on doing any riding this weekend? I'm assuming you guys didn't go out Sunday?
Old    oldschool            03-25-2003, 6:29 AM Reply   
Mike, Sunday really pissed me off. The boat sat out in the rain all day. Last night I took a good look at it...DISASTER! The rain brings down the pollution and what not leaving a nice black haze on everything. So I spent a few hours last night getting it all scrubbed off. We'll be riding this weekend if you are down. Probably early Saturday somewhere.

Sam, I connected the ground from the pump through the accessory switch on the dash. Then I ran the power wire to an open power terminal under the dash. If you glance around under there you will find multiple positive and negative leads that are not in use on the circuit boards. I just used one of those. Do not run the postive through the switch. As for the hole for the fitting, I used whatever size drill bit comes with a door handle kit. It's the drill bit that makes the hole on the side of the door. I think it's 1"?? Note sure. You can get black thru-hull fittings from www.flow-rite.com that will blend in well.
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-25-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
Craig, I'm down. Check your e-mail.