Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-08-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
I've always wanted to live on the lake but it seems like anyplace that has decent salaries and opportunities (I'm a senior software engineer) is ridiculously expensive. The lakes that have affordable waterfront properties don't seem to have decent paying job opportunities.

Anyone know of any hidden gems? Somewhere an engineer can afford a full-time lakehouse. Preferably somewhere where humans are near the top of the food chain (i.e. no alligators)?
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-08-2010, 9:33 PM Reply   
Have you checked out San Antonio/New Braunfels area? There are several lakes with waterfront property.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-08-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
Need more specifics...

What do you consider affordable? How big does it have to be? What sort of SW engineer are you?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-09-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
When we looked into moving to TX a while back, it seemed lakefront there was very affordable.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-09-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Orlando area is very affordable.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-09-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Olando/ Winter Haven (most of Florida except coastal area) - not bad
Central Wisconsin - not bad
MN outside of the cities
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       03-09-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
Wisconsin has some great lakes and hidden gems.
Old     (osukellen)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-09-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
slf-I lived in Tulsa for 25 years. PM me if you want to know more-Grand Lake is beautiful and about 40 minutes from Tulsa.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-10-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
HiJack on**

Adam, house looks amazing. Only thing that seems totally out of place is that master. Is that really the door to the left of the bed??? The master looks like it's from a totally different house. Other than that, amazing job. Good luck with the sale.

HiJack off**
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Nick, never thougth of it that way...looks weird prolly b/c the fireplace is a see thru ( it's for the living room and master) The doors off the master go to a private side deck area.

The front door is the pciture with the stair case.

My commmute ( door to door) is realitcially about an hour to my downtown office. It's less during the summer. Traffic really isn't that bad....it's the mileage, close to 28 miles each way. they are opening up a large freewy ( summer 2010) that should cut 10-15 minutes off the commute.

Thansk for the comments.

Just as an FYI, the my house off the water woudl be close to $100k less.

Best part about my lake is you can ride in almost any conditions, if the lake ( coves) is rough, you drive 20 minutes up to one of two rivers that feed the lake. They are both tree lined and no bulkheading.

there are spots I can find glass at 2 pm on a sat afternoon in the summer with 10 mph winds on the lake.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-10-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Yeah, it's probably just the pic.

Selling the house and boat!!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Good thing about both Texas and florida is no state income tax. But in Texas we have fairly high property taxes. I pay roughly $6500-7k in property taxes a year.I fight my apprasial every year ( As such, I've kept my tax value down). apprasial and market values are usually different. It's a good idea to check apprasials on homes down here.