Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (lesstalkmoreride)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-29-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
So I have been talking with an Orthopedic Physician out of Chattanooga,TN and he is going to be working on an article examining Wakeboarding-Related injuries.

With my interest in both medicine and boardsports, I feel a natural draw to this topic and will be assisting him in collecting information and organizing a real medical article to be published in a medical journal.

I frequent the forums here often, and have seen numerous post regarding injuries/surgeries and whatnot, please help us (and all Wakeboarders for that matter) out.

We need people who have been injured in the past (directly from wakeboarding) that would be willing to share their story so that we can study the common mechanism of injuries and shed light into what specifically can make our beloved sport so dangerous.

This is really cool, as there have been very few medical/scientific explorations of question of 'why/how' injuries such as ligament tears / sprains / fractures occur during wakeboarding.

Specifically, if you have ever had such a major injury (faceplants/diggers dont really count...), this would be a great chance to use the unfortunate experience to help grow the understanding of such injuries from a medical perspective, and hopefully lead to better preventative measures....who wouldnt want that.

I would be happy to share more information upon request. Please contact me if you have ever had such an injury from wakeboarding or if you know someone who has. Basically, we have a questionaire you can fill it out and it would help us, science, wakeboarding, and life in general....

Spread the word, this could open the door for better health and longer sets...

-Justin Jenkins, OMS-I
LMU-DCOM
Justin.Jenkins@lmunet.edu
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-29-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
I would be happy to participate. I blew my ACL last year, broke my foot the year before that, and ruptured a disk (L4-L5) the year before that. I am 40 years old and started riding when I was 34

(Message edited by gene3x on September 29, 2009)
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-29-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
I am out for the season now from a foot injury. This is actually the second season ending injury from wakeboarding. I have several other minor tweaks of my knees that did not require any long term rehab or time off.

The current injury happened when I landed funny on a Tantrum. The board snapped up when I cased the wake and I fractured three Metatarsals from the impact. They are fractured where they connect to the ankle.

The other injury was a broken rib. I took a knee to the chest coming down from a double up and it snapped clean in half. It happened late in the season so I healed after the season ended.
Old     (houstonwatersports)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-29-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
I have dislocated my hip twice. Once on a backroll landing in the flats where I landed way over my front foot and the second on a tailgrab into the flats where I landed the same way.

Torn my pectoral once learning batwing without keeping my handle in by my hip.

I actually went out and found a doctor that rides Motocross just because he would understand my injuries a little better.

I would love to help
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-29-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
I broke my Tibia Plateau last year for no apparent reason. I landed on the downside of the wake a little toe heavy and heard a nasty crunch!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-29-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
Put the questionnaire online somewhere (on WW maybe?), I'm sure you'll get loads of response.
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-29-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
Personally, I have only had two grade 2 MCL tears (which is plenty), but I have had a ton of experience dealing with our wakeboard team and the numerous knee injuries they have had. I would be happy to fill out your questionnaire.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-29-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Are you interested in neurological injuries? I caught my TS edge coming down from a raley and face planted so hard that it knocked me out and I had a major concussion. After that I stared having seizures and now its like 6 years later and I am still on medication to control my seizures. Plus I tore my rotator cuff on that same fall. I can PM you with more details of the seizures if you wanna hear more about that but it sounds like you are looking for more bone/muscle injuries.
Old     (nwa)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-29-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
1. Ruptured right bicep, torn completely from the elbow when putting my arm back trying to stay upright after coming down and sliding out from a three. Required surgery to re-attach. 6 Months recovery and pt (was on the water a month later with that arm wrapped to my chest)

2. Torn ligament in my right hand knuckle. It is super loose and cracks all the time now. Getting the handle ripped out.

3. Grade 1 MCL tear on a flats landing. Did 2 sets after that, then took 2 weeks off. Riding regularly again.
Old    thebiggmann            09-29-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
Tore my ACL a month and a half ago. I'm happy to fill it out as well.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-30-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
knee bent sideways bout a month ago. Didn't tear anything but i think i stretched the inside knee ligament. Dunno how much use I'd be but f**k it send the questionarre if you think i could help
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-30-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Oh man, no wonder I keep postponing that backroll attempt. This thread hurts just reading it. Worst that's happened to me is a concussion with some brief retrograde amnesia and subsequent headaches. Send me a Q if that is something you'd like to hear about.
Old     (pc332)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
Tore my ACL at the end of August. I'll help
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-30-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
Sprained ankles, broken foot, mild and severe MCL sprains... I'll fill out a questionnaire if you want to send one.
Old     (torontothunder)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-30-2009, 10:16 PM Reply   
Put my arm through the handle and tore my bicep. Let me know if you need me to fill out a questionaire
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-01-2009, 4:52 AM Reply   
tore my meniscus

3 concussions, 1 serious, now my neck pops everytime I turn my head.
Old     (jswake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-01-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I broke my femur wake skating. wake 2 wake and one of my feet didnt land on the board.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-01-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
I have a vision of seeing "Do you Wakeboard?" on my next health insurance application.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-01-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
I have a couple Injuries that seem commen. Both my friend and myself have injured (permenantly I think) our shoulders. Both these injuries happened from edge catching in a twisted or backwards position and not letting go in time. The unfortuanate arm still holding on gets twisted around pretty good. Neither of us saw a doctor but his does not move the same as it used to and mine still hurts 2 years later. Another thing that I have done a lot is land with my knees locked when I do inverts, espically tantrums. This has cost me a week or two with a sore knee every now and then. Also JBalla the same thing happened to my brother this year except he messed up his knee.
Old     (matt10)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-01-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
I broke my nose and had a laceration to the face in August 2009. Fell on a 360 and hit my nose on the front of the board. Broke my nose. 12 stiches. The broken nose required surgery.
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-01-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
ACl Tear. Landed heavy front foot with my lead tip turned back towards the boat. My momentum had no where to go but into my knee. Send me a q.
Old     (lesstalkmoreride)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-02-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
WOW, I am pretty impressed by the responses.

Thank you all for your input on this topic, I appreciate the response and am working with the Orthopedic Physicians office to coordinate a simple and effective way to distribute the questionaire regarding injuries from wakeboarding. I believe we are going to be looking specifically at ACL injuries for this particular study. However, gathering any data on other wakeboarding-induced injuries, should prove to be fruitful at some point in time. Surely this will not be the last study on wakeboarding...at least not as long I am involved in medicine and wake. So I will be getting back to you all very soon regarding the logistics of collecting this data. This is really exciting and should yield some interesting and helpful information for all of us...

Dont forget to stretch...

Thanks and have a great day,

-Justin Jenkins, OMS-I
LMU-DCOM

Personal/Professional Info:

I am a first year Osteopathic Medical student at LMU-DCOM in Harrogate, TN. I have been wakeboarding and snowboarding for about 8yrs and I take it and my studies seriously. I am on the SlingShot regional rider program/team, compete locally/nationally, and have been featured in a few 'grassroots' video projects. So yes, I ride. I cant wait to integrate my understanding of boardsport mechanics to medical bio-physiologic functioning. Hopefully, with this and future studies we will be making connections that might help better understand boardsport-related injuries and most importantly, how to prevent them. Feel free to send me any questions/comments/concerns
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-02-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Blown up Fibula doing a backroll to revert...

Upload

If you look close you can see all the cool little parts of the bone jammed together. These are held in place with the two floating screws...

you can hit me up at hometowntempe@gmail.com if you want.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-02-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Just tore my ACL from landing wrong off a kicker. Landed with my leg straight, knew right away what I did. Since I work with athletes I deal with quite a few that come in with these types of problems. I think this a great thing you are doing. I would love to read anything you come up with.
Old     (davidr)      Join Date: May 2007       10-02-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
broken wrist about 10 years ago, trantrum, landed a bit flat and hit my back hand on the rear fin thumbscrew, navicular scafoid(sp), tiny bone but painful
Old     (lesstalkmoreride)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-02-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Thanx for sharing everyone, this information can be put to good use for us. Please check out the online questionnaire, which only takes a few minutes. And to clarify, we are looking for data FROM ALL WAKEBOARDERS, even if you havent had any injuries directly related to wakeboarding. So please EVERYONE, check this out. We are going to be focusing on ACL injuries, but any and all data from the wakeboard community will help. Here is the website...

Wakeboarding ACL Injury Questionnaire:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?....JTXFjeG9Wamc6MA
Old     (r8dohead)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-03-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Riding for 10 years and have suffered no injuries. 46 years old and inverted daily!
Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-03-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Broke my fibula wakeskating last year. Was out for 8 weeks
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-03-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
dislocated kneecap twice, first time on backroll attempt, second time on TS 180 while wearing brace. I had the surgery and no problems since.

Also, punctured my eardrum off a double-up
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       10-03-2009, 11:28 PM Reply   
Raley attempt where I did not get the board all the way back under me, I face planted so hard i think I delaminated my skin from my mussel around my eye-socket and cheek. I am not sure how it is going to turn out only 72 hours old. Kinda looks like I caught a left cross from Mike Tyson.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       10-04-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
George, I heard about the frog! ouch.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       10-04-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
Who did you hear that from? Are you guys still riding? My crew is starting to thin out. If we catch a sunny day I am game to get back out there before it gets too cold.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-05-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
Dislocated my patella twice before having reconstructive surgery. 3 out of the four ligaments holding the patella in place were adjusted. One was lengthened, one was shortened and one the bone where the ligament anchor point is was realigned and screwed back into place. I'm 10 months out of surgery and still recovering. The doctor said my knee will continue to improve for another 10 months. Haven't wakeboarded in 18 months and I'm seriously considering slalom skiing as my main watersport in the future.
Old     (lesstalkmoreride)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-05-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
Thanx again for the input everyone, please be sure to take a look at the online survey:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHZiV1RLbUNIMU1zeHFJTXFjeG9Wamc6M A

As a reminder, we need input From All Wakeboarders, Not Just Those With Injuries, this way we can get and idea of the prevalence of these issues. We cant wait to share the results whenever we finish.

Please pass word on to other riders you know, the more responses we get, the more applicable our study can be...
Old     (lesstalkmoreride)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-26-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Thanx to everyone who has contributed, we are getting some great responses. If you have not yet, please check out our survey and lend 5min to help better understand ACL injuries and how we can prevent them...The water is getting cold, don't forget to stretch!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHZiV1RLbUNIMU1zeHFJTXFjeG9Wamc6M A
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-26-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
hey Sam..you have a screw loose! Jet
Old     (hartmanlaw)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-04-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
This is a painfully interesting thread. I handle product defect claims related to wakeboarding injuries. I have seen a lot of injuries in the industry related to defective design. Unfortunately as the industry rapidly evolves safety appears to be secondary to performance consideration in some design choices. I am particularly interested in speaking with anyone who has been injured when a binding failed to release contributing to their injury. Please feel free to contact me at matt@impactlawgroup.com (206) 621-1750.
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       11-05-2009, 12:49 AM Reply   
why so you can start a class action against the manufacturers and raise prices, GTFO of here with that spam.

I have a screw in my left collar bone, happened from softball not wakeboarding
Old    dust3313            11-05-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Everyone send nasty emails to this dbag ambulance chasing lawyer make sure he never tries to spam WW again. this s*** pisses me off.

broke my shoulder goofing around on a tube (lake was super blown out) behind my friends family boat and now the family is actually worried about it happening to somone else and getting sued for it (they know i would never do that)