Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-27-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
It looks like over the next few months I'm going to get the go ahead from the wife to buy a boat... so I'm mulling over vehicle and towing options in my head trying to figure out which route to take.

The plan is to go with a SN 2001 so I was curious what the gross weight of the boat is for trailering? I have to drive an hour one way to work everyday and gas mileage is a MAJOR concern for me (I'm currently driving an 07 Civic with around 40 mpg). I can't decide whether to buy a new DD with towing capability, or pick up a super cheap hauler truck/suv and keep the Honda. With the vehicle market the way it is, I could probably score a used hauler for $2K... but the market is also ripe with insane deals on new vehicles.

Thoughts?
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
Gross weight is in the neighborhood of 4k lbs. give or take a couple 100 lbs. depending on gear and gas...if I remember correctly from getting it weighed 4 years ago.

If you go with a cheaper/smaller hauler, make sure the trailer brakes work. I figured out at the beginning of this season that I went most of last season with no brakes due to master cylinder leak.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-27-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
It really depends on how far your commute is but considering you say mileage is a huge factor I'm guessing it's pretty far. If thats the case pick up a reliable hauler. Anything you get that will tow well is going to get 1/2 the mileage of the civic. Put the miles on the civic thats what it was made for.