Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-01-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
Someone asked for pictures of my project so here is a slide show of the work so far. I pulled the 440 out & went with a small block with newer Magnum heads & a reverse rotation 340 cam. It will have 400 lb bags in the side seat boxes, 400 lbs in the center ski locker & 650 up front. it is far from done but is a father/son project..If you see anything that I need to change or add to post it up! ...Dave. http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/millerman340/71%20Century%20Coronado/?albumview=slideshow
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-01-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
whats the password? I restored a 68 Century Cheetah a couple years ago. It was a blast and a pain in the neck but worth it in the end.I love Centurys.

(Message edited by wakecumberland on January 01, 2009)
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-01-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Sorry, wakeworld .
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-01-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Nice job David! I love the blue. You have a really nice boat there. Are you planning on adding a tower? If so what kind are you going for?
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-01-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
I have a acquaintance that has a flight control tower off a 05 super air for a grand but I'm not sure on using a tower.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-01-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
yeah maybe you can photoshop a few on the boat before you make a decision. That's what I would do. You dont want to ruin the classic lines of the Coronado!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-01-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
I have a 4' extension to go between the floor mount & the upper pole . I thought making a slide on cooler stand for the pole mount when we are not wakeboarding
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-01-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Try to find a tower that follows the lines of the windshield if you can. That boat has great lines, I have always liked Century boats. How is the wake?
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-01-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
Beautiful looking re-build. How's she running? much left to do?
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-01-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
I've only had it in the water a few times but the wake cleans up about 16 mph according to the perfect pass speedometer ( don't have the servo hooked up yet) with no ballast & the wake plate up & has a nice shape compared to the 78 ski Nautique we ride.. I still have to finish the seat boxes plus the back box that will hold a pair of 10's ballast plumbing,carpet, all the gunnel padding ,seat cushions. Also where the wakeboards are sitting was trimmed in stainless for storage pockets ,so I'm will make the opening were you can still slide the boards in but still look close to how they use to look.I'm trying to get all the mechanical stuff done first.

(Message edited by otown_dave on January 01, 2009)
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-01-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Good job! A lot of hard work, but I am sure it is rewarding.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-01-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Thanks! It's not perfect by any means, Still a lot of stuff to clean up but we have had fun working together on it. Should I put the stainless rail back on the top deck?
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-01-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
awesome looking rebuild. i am in the process of a restoration on a 79 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. I only hope that mine turns out looking half as good as yours. Looks like a brand new boat in some of those pics at the gas station. great job.
Old     (retrofridge)      Join Date: May 2005       01-02-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
Dave boat is looking awsome. Cant wait to see the boat in person. When are you going to bring it to Lake Dora so I can check it out?
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-02-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
If I bring it to Dora all the restored boat owners would want to kill me! They only made 56 of them in 1971 & I don't think that they would take kindly to me making a wakeboard boat out of it..Who knows, maybe I'll wakeboard behind it in their boat parade
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-02-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
Where are the pics.?

I had a 83 Century CTS with that 440. What a motor! I pulled 2 booms and 6 barefooters
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-02-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
Look in the first post for the slideshow..Dave
Old     (vguy75)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-02-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
Dave, greet looking project. Thanks for putting up a new thread. Love the colour - looks exponentially better w/o the yellow and red stripes as it shows off the classic lines of the boat.
How's it run with the small block vs big block? Why did you decide not to rebuild the 440? (I'm guessing fuel economy!) Any pics of the wake at wakeboard and waterski speed? Do you waterski? How is it for waterskiing? Are you going to modify the engine box to put a bench on it? I've always like that arrangement on the Coronados. Good mod with the benches in along the sides.
Please keep us updated on your project. Older Centurys are great boats. I've often wondered how they'd work out for a wake / ski boat and why nobody has decided to use/modify one prior to now. I've debated btwn a Coronado and a Supra Sunsport. I think an updated/modified hardtop Coronado http://www.centuryboatclub.com/decade/fiberglass/fglcoronado.html would make a cool wake / ski boat too.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-02-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
when I started the swap gas was $ 4 a gallon & the engine had a sound that might have been a wrist pin or cracked skirt & right hand parts are hard to find for the 440. The small block pulls it well. The cam & Magnum head swap should be good for about 300 hp It's the same cam specs as the mopar 340 car cam cut for reverse rotation (Clevite 229-1900) I saved all the 440 stuff except the engine to put one back in if I want to but would use a left hand rotation as parts are a lot easier to find. The engine cover is out of a 93 nautique , All the original interior was all shot & I hated the layout. So I'm making it how I would like it to be. The rear will wrap into the side boxes. I was going to put a sack back there but the tank is 50 gallons so there is 400 lbs there. I honestly think it will make a nice wakeboarding boat & with the plate down you might be able to ski behind it. At the time I bought it a boat this size was at least $20,000 & I'm about $2500 into this project!I'm still working on the water trials to make sure every thing is tight, not leaking.etc.. Every time it has been the water I've found original stuff that leaked from improper sealing . I hope to have it done by spring (in FL that leaves only two months). I'd love a hardtop ,These things were high dollar boats back when they were new .
Old     (reachjims)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
sweet looking boat, keep the pics coming. i saw in your profile you ride the winter park chain, i was just out there tuesday riding what a awesome effing place that is. even thought about moving until i called on a house and the realtor brought me back down to earth haha.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-02-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
I can only afford the sticker for there Nice water though...
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-17-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
Well I picked up a 07 super air 220 tower cheap so now I have a tower for it! I'll post some pics' when I test fit it..
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-18-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
Here it is..Upload
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-18-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
that is sick.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-18-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
That tower looks great. Follows the lines of that great windshield perfectly, or at least at that angle. The boat looks amazing. I have always liked the way a closed bow inboard looks, and this one has great lines. Get us some wake pics at some point in time.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-18-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
It fit like it was made for it & super easy to install.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-18-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
Awesome! I want a Coronado now. Anyone want to buy my X2? Get us some on water shots and pictures of the wake.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-18-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
That thing is a beast! Nice job
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-18-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
I have to get new exhaust manifolds ,My set are cracked. when I get them on I'll post up some...dave.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-18-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
It looks like that tower was made for it. Did you do any modifications to it? The slope matches the windshield and the rear mounts are just past the end of the windshield. Great looking boat.

btw anyone else have the problem with the photo album asking for a password?
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-18-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
The password is " wakeworld " The tower has ball ends with billet stands. on the end of the ball there is a 1/2" threaded stud that screws in. On the back stand I had to angle the hole so the stand would lay flat while clearing the stud. Other than that it was a easy install. you could just about mount that style tower on any boat wide enough.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-18-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Here is the front mount,Upload
Upload