Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-03-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
Ever wish life would just slow down to what it was like in the early 1900s? I sure do!

Theres an old man who lives on the outskirts of my town who hangs out and watches and waves to all the busy people coming and going from our small town. Life is busy these days, but he seems to make time to chill out and take a step back. I see this man typically everyday, either in the morning or afternoon while Im either rushing to work or in a hurry to get home from a long busy day at work. He waves and most of the time I throw up the "shaka"(hang loose) to him with a smile as I hurry on. Every time I tell myself, "I really need to stop one time and sit back n chat with him, maybe even bring a 6 pack." It would be soo cool to listen to his story and hear about his story of life and watching our small town grow from farms to what it is today.

Recently I have seen less of him. Sometimes days, sometimes a week at a time go by without seeing his smile and wave. So tonight I passed by his house, once again in a hurry to get home and relax after a busy hustle n bustle day of work, and he was out for the first time I had seen in close to 2 weeks. Yet, once again I kept going without stopping. So i thought to myself while I continued home, why does the busy life have such a grip on our lives that we dont take the time to smell the roses? Why have people grown soo far apart from eachother, even when living in a very small town? I feel like the way the world is going, especially America, is all wrong. Evil has taken over and everyone(some constantly, some rarely) is just concerned with their own well being. There is no faith in man kind anymore. God (not getting religious here people, we all believe in something better than ourselves regardless if you admit it publicly or not) is now dust in the wind. Bad government and politics has taken over with money and power on its side. We have been given the notion that we create our own destiny, when in reality were all just blind to the greed.

If you have gotten this far in my rant I urge you to take a moment to smell the roses, chat with your fellow town folk, even if you dont know them, do something for someone else out of a kind act, not to feel better about yourself, but because you have something to offer to possibly make their minute, day, week, just a little better.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-03-2012, 8:38 PM Reply   
Go talk to him!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-03-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
Good post...thanks for the reminder. Here I am gettin caught up in stuff that really shouldnt be stressing me out
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-04-2012, 2:29 AM Reply   
I often think about this kind of stuff and I've come to realize that people like the old man you're talking about, probably used to be busy in his day too when he had a younger family etc. We all go through seasons in our lives. You'll be old some day too. Don't rush it. I think you should stop by and talk to him. Funny how every town has "the old guy who waves at everybody". Hope he's not crazy...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Funny - Most of our city still does this. Everybody in our few courts meet randomly throughout the week just to catch up. Pretty much if I come home and there is a neighbor out, we catch up. We are blessed with some great neighbors and people in our area. Reminds me of how we grew up.

Stop and chat with the guy. You may be amazed and delighted with what he brings to the conversation.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-04-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
After you talk to him, share the story on here with us...
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-04-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
That's why I rather live a simpler life where I can enjoy my family and friends and have time to do things during the week and on weekends rather then work 12 hour days everyday just to have money one day down the road. I want to live my whole life not just wait until the day I can maybe retire and be too old to do anything. It's about quality of life. We can all complain about what we don't have but for the most part anyone on this board is pretty fortunate to be able to be out on boats enjoying a sport like wakeboarding.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-04-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
Jason, that is a great story and one that I have seen and one that I contemplate. In 1986 to 1989, I would drive from work to school in the evenings. I was married and working trying to get my degree. Each day, I would see this gentleman standing on this corner with his hat and his dog. He became a Memphis fixture and I would wave at him each day I passed. He would smile and wave in return (like he did everyone else) and it would seem that he was acknowledging me, who was just a another passer-by at this busy intersection, but it seemed he really wanted to say "Have a good day!" just to me. I was 22-25 at the time and wondered why he took the time to brighten many a person's day and also if he was alone and trying to see someone besides his face in the mirror and his pooch. As the days went on, there would be a day which he would not be there. Then a absence for a long period and then not ever again. I believe that he probably shared a lot with people who took the time to stop and talk, but I imagine there are many more like me, who look back and wished we had spoken; but it was too late now. I have attached an article I just found below. However, if I were you, I would stop. You will not regret it.

Now, regarding my contemplation. I wish I could stop. Stop the cell phones, text, tv, computers, everything. Just stop and think about my family and friends and interact on a personal level instead of a call, text or e-mail. The bottom line is: We have become slaves to technology. Technology which was supposed to make our lives easier. Instead, it connected us 24x7 and that is how we work. If we don't do it, someone else will and that is what is expected.

I often wonder what it would be like to not be "available". Many of you have not experienced not being able to contact a friend or be contacted. You have not gotten "you just missed'em" or "they already left" or "you missed the call". It is completely foreign to most people thirty and under. This makes me wonder what effect all this connectivity will have in the future. Not just to the user but also the relationships that user will have. (User - sounds like TRON) Will we become a society of test tube babies because real relations and the time it takes to culminate and create one is too difficult, time consuming and unexciting to the future?
Attached Images

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 10-04-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: forgot attachment
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-04-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
I watched the documentary "the bridge" a while back; if you dont know, it shows people jumping to their deaths on the golden gate bridge. Heart breaking in many ways. Anyways, the one part that stuck out to me was a fellow who jumped and lived. When asked why he jumped he replied that he has depressed, but if ONE person had said hello or smiled to him when he was walking to the midpoint, he would have turned around.

That stuck with me, and from then on I make it a point to say hello/good morning/or even a smile. Sometimes people are surprised, sometimes they ignore me, but it just adds a connection with people that I think we miss.

When I was in college, the old man who lived next door to me lost his wife. He had taken care of her for all those years (disabled), and now he lived alone. Between all my finals/parties/wakeboarding/whatever I would find the time to go to his house with a 6 pack and just hang out in his garage and talk cars, politics, you name it. I think he was genuinely surpised a 21 year old kid would go hang out with him for an hour every couple weeks. He was a vietnam veteran, and on every veterans day I would make a point to go to his front door and thank him for his service, or share a beer. People appreciate that.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-04-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
Amen Callen! Cassie and I have talked about this, we both deleted our facebooks I haven't carried my cell phone in more than 2 weeks and it feels really good! We have gotten to spend more quality time with family and actually enjoy each other company rather than sit around with our heads in our smart phones.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-08-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezyshots View Post
Amen Callen! Cassie and I have talked about this, we both deleted our facebooks I haven't carried my cell phone in more than 2 weeks and it feels really good! We have gotten to spend more quality time with family and actually enjoy each other company rather than sit around with our heads in our smart phones.
Dont get me started on cell phones. Everyone talks about a zombie apocalypse but I think we already have something worse brewing. If your in the local mall or anywhere kids are just watch them.... They walk around face down looking at their phones... Whole groups will all be on their phones walking to wherever they are headed. Sitting at dinner with their parents etc. Theres a new generation of mindless zombies brewing because they all have cell phones at age 8 now. Hell even my friends do this on the boat while people are riding. I have to calm myself to not go punch them in the heads. Phones are now abolished to the glove box for emergency use only, organizing a dock pickup, or finding a group of ladies. I feel like an old man (28) that its driving me crazy people are acting like this now. Walk with your head high, acknowledge the strangers around, just get off your damn phones. There is so much more going on in life that is going to pass these kids by. I know im guilty of it every now and then, but ive been making a conscious effort to enjoy every minute I can.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-08-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
The need to socially share an event or moment has over-rode the ability to actually enjoy that moment for one's self. Younger generations literally live their day by social media postings.
Old     (jordanleininger21)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-08-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
I agree with you Chris. I am a teen and I know exactly what you mean and I admit that i do it also but it makes me so mad when i have to dodge someone texting or tweeting walking down the street. The boat rule applies to our boat as well after the passengers missed like 4 speed up signs on my same run. Our rule is phones in the glovebox unless it is an emergency or we are just chilling on the boat. (mainly like you to find some ladies to chill with and show off for haha)
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-16-2012, 3:45 PM Reply   
Bring him a pizza
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-17-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Great post Callen. I often wonder....how can that guy just sit there and do nothing every weekend. Then I realize it's me that has the problem. I too need to slow down.

I have often wanted to stop and hang out with that guy. Maybe we should stop by with a couple of chairs and hang out with him this weekend if he is out.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-17-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Wow, a thread that nobody feels the need to chip on!!

It''s amazing how the rat race takes over our lives if we let it. And a lot of us do.. I think part of the reason I board, jetski and offroad is because it clears my head and unwinds the body...

I have friends that are so goal oriented and driven, that they "are too busy" or "can't" make time to get off the routine. One of those guys used to live in Hawaii and commented that he was forced to slow down because of the relaxed attitude. He said hangin' out with me was good for him because I had the same affect on him. (Of course this is the same guy that tells me I don't live up to my potential). I tell my over achiever buddies that "try" to make time to get away but never do cuz they're busy that Yoda is right... "Try not! Do or do not. There is no try." Corny, but it's good advice.....

Reading this thread today is a timely reminder because I haven't been out lately, and the stresses of work and home have been balling up.... I'm gonna get out and play before the weekend arrives... Screw the rat race!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-17-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
I watched the documentary "the bridge" a while back; if you dont know, it shows people jumping to their deaths on the golden gate bridge. Heart breaking in many ways. Anyways, the one part that stuck out to me was a fellow who jumped and lived. When asked why he jumped he replied that he has depressed, but if ONE person had said hello or smiled to him when he was walking to the midpoint, he would have turned around.
That guy is named Kevin Hines. My girlfriend works in the mental health field and they had Kevin come and speak at one of their events. We got to hang out with him for a couple days and its incredible the transformation he has had. Just like you, he stops to make sure everyone around him receives his acknowledgment. Life is too short to not appreciate and enjoy the people in your life, even the strangers.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-17-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Couldn't agree with you more Jason, great post. We are all way to "wired in" these days. The flow of available information never stops, the text messages never stop, the facebook notifications never stop, etc. I got mad at my iPhone the other day because the "battery didn't last long enough." Maybe I should put the damn thing down and focus on what is happening in the non virtual world. I feel bad for the teens growing up right now, they don't know what it's like to ride their bikes to a buddies house just to find out they aren't there. They just text.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-17-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
wow man, i JUST had this conversation with one of my bro's at lunch. We were talking to exactly this point. I mentioned that I just didnt have enough time in the day and I wasnt sure how much more craziness I could handle. My wife and I only have 1 eight year old daughter. I dont know how people with more kids do it man. I really dont.

On the flip side, we have become more outdoor focused as a family in regards to camping after we sold our wakeboat. My wife and I, along with 2 others are hitting the Appalachian Trail this weekend for 3 days. We do a 4 day in the spring, and this is our first fall outing. Living out of a backpack for 4 days is an amazing use of the reset button. This weekend we are hitting an epic 20+mile section in the prime changing of colors here in VA. So stoked to get away....and SLOW DOWN.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-17-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
The subject of thread is why I love wakeboarding / boating so much. In a good way, I'm trapped. Where I go out mostly, phones don't work on the boat. There's no "to do" list like when I'm hanging at home. I can't work on my laptop. Instead, on the boat, I'm forced to be in the moment, enjoying the physical aspect of wakeboarding, enjoying the water, the sunshine, the day and the friends I'm with. Everything slows down for the time that I'm out there. It's wonderful.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-17-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
Andy you hit it on the head, that is one of the main reasons I love boating, not just wakeboarding, so much. I feel that I can escape even if it is only for a couple hours.