Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-05-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Awesome style by Rusty! I love that shot.

Poked out Method Glide? Feel free to correct..
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-05-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
Yes yes, very nice :-)

I thought it was just an interesting hoochie, but the cover says half cab melon.

Method glide, he would be facing the other way (you can see where he hits the wake he is facing forwards, glides are backwards).
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-05-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
SICK!

Upload
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-05-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
Ya that is a great pic of Rusty.
J-Rod, did you see my rider Dustin Shows on page 101, doin the huge Hoochie Glide at TSR flyin up by the cables?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
I got that issue yesterday. It was on the bottom of the mail stack and as soon as I pushed everything else aside, I was stunned by it.

Proof hard work pays off...Congrats Rusty!!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
"I thought it was just an interesting hoochie...
...(you can see where he hits the wake he is facing forwards, glides are backwards)."

Aden, some time after Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden of Eden, fish started crawling on land and monkeys started using tools, there was a wakeboarder named Scott Byerly. Scott liked to grab his wakeboard, and one day he thought to grab an air raley, apparently in an effort to choke some style into this trick. The newly grabbed trick was named hoochie glide. This was the original "glide." It was performed facing forward.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-05-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
Nice shot Jeff.

"but the cover says half cab melon"

Same grab as a method right? Just without the shifty.

how would a glide be backwards from this shot? If his hand was more towards the nose, it would look just like a Hoochie Glide.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-05-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
Doc beat me to it.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-05-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
who cares what it is, it just looks sick
Old    walt            10-05-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Who was the photographer ?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-05-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
did byerly do the first hoochie or did gator? it certainly evolved into one of gator's signature tricks.

never figured out how these guys hit those switch dub's so big and easy.

Not positive, but I think it's melan (like melancholy) not melon (like the fruit or a nice rack).
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-05-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
brhanley, I agree with you. I'm pretty sure gator did it first. I'm pretty sure scott did an oriental first (like, on the flip side, sucka).

as for melan vs melon, I've discussed this with someone before. Realistically, you could go either way and melan makes more sense, but for some reason, in skating and snowboarding the most common spelling is "melon." It is for that reason that it was decided to spell it like "melon" and not "melan". Ultimately,I don't know how it ended up being misspelled and that's pretty interesting to me...but the skateboard mag did a history article on the history of the melancholy and they spelled it "melon" for short throughout the article.

That works for me. :-) I think it's cool that someone cared and wanted to get it right...
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
the not so naked chef answers right again and the Brandon Meek came with the ohh.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-05-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Walt ~ The photo credits go to Bill Doster.
Old    walt            10-05-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Ant. It's a great shot !
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
That doesn't look switch to me...
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-05-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
cliff, why do you say that? rusty is a goofy footer, so that's his switch take-off. i apologize in advance if you were referring to something else (i didn't read every post)
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
It seems like a lot of pros prefer the switch tricks. What is the logic behind this?
Old    walt            10-05-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   

quote:

It seems like a lot of pros prefer the switch tricks. What is the logic behind this?

Probably because it ads to the difficulty of the trick in most cases.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
i think cliff was being sarcastic.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
Whatever Chef says, I believe it. Damn, two senior moments in one day!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-05-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
I dont know if anyone said this already, but I think that is a melon off axis half cab 180. He does that trick in Butter Effect.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-05-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
I dont know if anyone said this already, but I think that is a melon off axis half cab. He does that trick in Butter Effect.
Old     (nzdude)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
*&#$ thats decembers issue the september issue hasnt even arrived over here in N.Z yet
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
Mike, I wondered that as well. I always thought that on the big stuff they are going in HS a lot and depending on what side the camera is on for exposure they could get the shot.

Chef, nice history lesson
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-06-2006, 5:36 AM Reply   
Mike, I think its mostly heelside, and for a couple of reasons. I think alot of riders are more "fundamental" on their switch since they had to learn it that way and dont carry over many bad habits. Also, when hucking spins/flips they are more comfortable on their TS direction, so a switch HS give more natural comfortable movement. Finally, like in the above pic which I believe is a 180, they are more comfortable landing regular coming out of really tweaked stuff. For them, getting pop isnt the hard part, its being comfy in the air and being comfortable sticking landings that challenge them on their really sylish or really technical stuff.