Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    ematthew            02-22-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
For those collecting lead shot from tire shops or similar, what are you putting the lead in for a clean, easy install? It seems like the capped off round PVC pipe I've seen used might roll around inside the boat compartments and possibly cause problems. Is this really a problem with PVC? Does anyone use containers like bags, tackle boxes, etc. or are there any other recommendations besides melting the lead and molding bricks? I would like something that makes the lead ballast clean, secure, and easy to move around inside the boat.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-22-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
1 gal chlorine bottles.. the reuse-able ones.. id just pull a disect move, and cut right down the middle, fill em up, then wrap in duck tape. 35-40 lbs each...
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
I used 2 gal cube-style plastic gas containers - remove the spout - 80 lbs each. At that weight, they're not that easy to move in and out of the boat.

You can also get rectangular PVC fence posts w/ end caps. Cut to whatever length desired, and they don't roll.
Old     (cincynautique)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
try this site. i bought 4 of these last year and they work great.
http://www.metaltecsteel.com/gen_info/product_shotbags.asp
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-23-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
joel, do you have any pricing info from the company
Old     (cincynautique)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
cant remember what the charge was, but i know that it wasnt much. pretty cheap actually, for what you get. they are easy to move around, nice handles for transporting off the boat, etc.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-23-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
thanks joel -- i have plenty of led , may just have to make a bag or two...
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-23-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
Sand bags. Home depot.

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-23-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
Those shot bags look ideal. I e-mailed them for prices, I'll post when I get them. My problem is that shipping would be a bear. Any one know where to get that stuff in Vegas?
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-23-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
Today at Walmart they had 40lbs bags of sand for 1.50. How much solid weight is safe to put in a boat?
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-23-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
PoP Bags are available in Vegas.

E me for info

www.pop-products.com

troy@pop-products.com
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-23-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
I used sand bags and had great success. They will fall apart after a while. They feel heavy, but actually take up a great deal more space than lead.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-23-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
I saw a guy on this board state that he had used some diving weight bags. I thought they looked really good. They were essentially small duffle bags made of heavy duty cordura with handles and could have about 50 pounds of lead in them. One of the problems with lead is that a 50 pound brick is a bear sometimes to put in the storage compartment, because you are often twisting and bending to get it in there. He got them on ebay.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on February 23, 2006)
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-23-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
I would say go with Pop Product. 20 of them in my SAN give you so much POP. Ask Chad, Paul and Jerry. Ya just can't go wrong. The more the better. Oh ya Troy I need 10 more when you come to spring ride.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2006, 10:43 PM Reply   
Hi Squid.....got the gas tank out and a bunch more foam plucked out.....Also the old battery box....Thinking about ripping out the hump in front of the driver side next?
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-24-2006, 1:47 AM Reply   
Where in Vegas can I get the pop bags? I'll be in Vegas in about a month and I'd rather not pay for shipping.