Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    davelina            06-29-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
We are planning to go up north and visit the delta area. I'm looking for info/advise when we go up there. We are staying with friends in Livermore. I had a friend hit a rock in the Delta and destroyed his boat. He said it wasn't marked and he hit it doing 20 mph! He further said it was in the middle of the river.

Can someone tell me where to go to launch and where it's safe for a newbie up there. We plan to visit head up there in 2 weeks or so and stay for 5 days or so...

Any help would be appreciated.
Old    chavezychavez            06-29-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Never seen any rocks in the middle of any slough. Ever. Some places like Twins has a levee that used to run down the middle that may have lowpoints, but I wouldn't call that "in the slough" - i.e. it's not in the "middle" of the lane/channel.

Livermore = go to River's End or Lazy M or maybe even Orwood. Buy a map of the Delta from one of the local joints - the best maps have depth soundings marked on them to help you stay away from low points.

(Message edited by chavezychavez on June 29, 2004)
Old    davelina            06-29-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
OK....thanks...I'm assuming those are marinas? Is it true one could find flat water during the week at any given time? What about tides? If you aren't anchoring over night do I need to worry about it?
Old    jayreese            06-29-2004, 5:24 PM Reply   
Dave&Lina,
Get a map like Chavez said and make sure it has depth markings on it. when you get in some of the smaller sloughs at low tide you may be in only 4' of water but most of them are 10-20 deep and yes depending on which way the wind is blowing you can always find butter out there. be safe and watch the blind turns out there some times the big fast boats like to cut them.
Old    davelina            06-29-2004, 9:31 PM Reply   
Ok Jay...thanks. I'm going to call some of the marina's Chavez listed and get a map sent to me. Any websites you guys know of with that info on it?
Old    chavezychavez            06-29-2004, 9:33 PM Reply   
Dave & Lina:

Yes those are marinas. Yes you can find good water almost anytime. Tides shouldn't be too much of a concern unless you venture into shallow sloughs - most marinas post tide times or you can just ask them they will know.
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-29-2004, 10:36 PM Reply   
Check out:

http://www.californiadelta.org/

It has a listing of the resorts and marinas, navigation tips, tide tables, etc.
Old    deltahoosier            06-30-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
When are you coming up? I usually stay away from the water on the 4th, but, I can maybe help you out if you need to know where to go and I am around. I work in Livermore and live in Discovery Bay. Even with a map, the delta can still be a bit hard to just venture out and know where you are going. As the tide changes, things look different than when you left. It is not horrible, we all have done it. You just need to not get low on gas and not stay out too late so you don't get caught.
Old    davelina            06-30-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
Rod....that would be awesome....we aren't coming up until @ the 12 or 13th....then staying until probably the 16 or 17th.....
Old    deltahoosier            06-30-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
That looks like a mid week trip I see. I may not be able to go out and show you around in the morning during the week, but, I can still help you out with the map issues and also be someone to call if you have a problem and/ or hook up after work and show you some other spots for later in the week and with different wind conditions.
Old    deltahoosier            06-30-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Oh..on a side note, my best friends parents are named Dave and Lina as well.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
Dave and Lina,
Of the places Chavez mentioned, all are good but I would strongly suggest Orwood, especially for a newb to the area.
Also, give me a pm if you like as I too have a house in Disco Bay (which is close to Orwood) but may be available that Monday or Tuesday for a ride/tour.

www.NVS1.net
Old    davelina            06-30-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Wow....Rod that is weird....We are not into big crowds or drinking/partying....so we were hoping to just get good water during the week...any help would be much appreciated...

Duane...Thanks...I'll look to calling Orwood...any numbers you guys have would be awesome...

I'd love a tour and pull some guys for the help...
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
Dave:

If you are staying in Livermore then Orwood would be your best bet as a place to launch. Here is the web site for the place:

http://www.orwoodresort.com

As for hitting a rock: You would have a hard time hitting a rock unless you drove your boat into the levee. There are plenty of other things to hit, however.

The bottom is all soft mud, so just hitting the bottom is generally not too traumatic. A bigger concern is hitting a log or similar object floating just at the surface.

The tide causes all sort of issues. A spot that was deep enough to pass over this morning may become too shallow a few hours later. Pull your boat up on the beach to take a break and in 20 minutes it could float off or become so stuck that you will be waiting there until the tide comes back in. A log that was safely stuck into the shore can float free on a rising tide and drift back into harms way.

The only real hazard of the Delta is that the water is so muddy that you can't see into it to tell if it is deep or not. Any lake or river will have hazards, and they will not all be marked.

As for finding smooth water: no problem! If you ar there mid week you will find smooth water all over the place, unless the wind is just really howling. On the weekends you may get enough boat traffic on the major traffic channels that you will have to seek less traveled sloughs to find good water.

If you want to see some sights and you are going to be there a week then I would recommend trailering the boat to a few different marinas to put in. My favorite area of all is an area that is known as "the Meadows", which is on Snodgrass Slough norht of Stockton. The best place to launch is Wimpy's off Thorton road. Take I-5 north, past Stockton, exit on Thorton Rd. A few miles west is Wimpys. Warning: There is a LONG stretch of water way that has a 5MPH speed limit on it between any place you can launch and the Meadows!

If you happen to be there on the 4th of July there is a pretty good fireworks show put on right in the middle of the delta, right on the main channel at a place called Mandiville. For that you might be better off to launch at Hermen & Helens, as it will be a lot easier to find your way back in the dark!

I am sure you will have fun, so enjoy!

Rod
Old    deltahoosier            06-30-2004, 3:54 PM Reply   
Sounds good. Orwood is pretty easy to get in and out of. During the week, you may be able to go around a few corners and stay in old river during the week and not even have to venture off. I hear you on the partying on the water. I live close enough that if I have any drinking time, I can do it at home. my cell is 925-525-3403. Feel free to give me a call if you need anything.
Old    davelina            06-30-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
MCInnis....thanks alot...great info and much appreciated.

Rinnert...I got your number...maybe we can hook up...I'll call when I get closer to coming up....looks like @ 12 or 13 th I'll be there
Old    deltahoosier            06-30-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
Sounds good. I know it is easier to have someone familiar if needed just incase of a problem being so far away. Have fun and don't be afraid to call.
Old    jayreese            06-30-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
dave and Lina,
Me and my family just spent a week on a house boat at the Meadows here is couple of pictures to give you a idea of what the water looks like

Old    jayreese            06-30-2004, 5:18 PM Reply   
one more
Old    davelina            06-30-2004, 10:46 PM Reply   
OK....MEADOWS!!! That's what I am driving 450 miles for! WOW...that looks awesome...! How far is that from Livermore?
Old    x10            06-30-2004, 11:06 PM Reply   
I live in Livermore and Rivers End is the best in my estimation and only about 30 minutes to be in the water. There is plenty of great water right there in the vicinity.
Old    norcal_99            07-01-2004, 12:29 AM Reply   
Here's another site for you. www.sacdelta.com
Old    davelina            07-01-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
Thanks Tom....

Is a portable GPS a good idea for this trip or in the delta?
Old    davelina            07-09-2004, 9:58 PM Reply   
coming up on Tuesday....whos wants a pull for tour?