Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
i WANNa get some info here if yall dont mind.....I got a 2004 ford f250 4x4....A rich woman in her BMW HIT me head on drunk.....She snapped my steering arm, crushed my bumper, bent my tow hook, bent my axle, hood and side fender.....The body work has all been done and everything has been repaired.....after payments i owe 28,000 or i can sell it now and only owe 23,000 to the credit union.....any ideas ? HOld onto it or sell it ??
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-14-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
??? all the repairs have been done?

so its drivable?

but if you sell it you will still owe 23k??
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-15-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
I think he's trying to say that his pmts add up to $28k, but he has $23k remaining on the loan...I think
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-15-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
I think you should sue the hell out of her, and then go buy a new truck and pay cash!!!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-15-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
You american's make me laugh... Why must you sue everyone for everything?

Be thankful that you are in good health and didn't sustain serious injuries. Be glad that the truck was fixable, I am sure her BMW was a write-off.

If you did sustain serious long lasting injuries that will effect your work and life, then maybe it's worth your time to get some financial compensation.

Otherwise, just move on a forget about sueing someone, the only person to benifit is the lawyers in the long run.
Old    mendo247            12-15-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
I have no idea what your asking...
Old     (dstockton)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-15-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
I,ve been rear ended twice this year in my 07 f250. Start physical therapy and get a lawyer.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-15-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
Forget about the accident and get on with your life. Always consider how you would want the other person to act if the tables were turned.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-15-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I agree wtih Greg on this one except for the fact she was Drunk... I say take it to the courts and get everything you can out of her and maybe then she will think twice before getting behind the wheel drunk again.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-15-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Take her to court, get ur moneys worth.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       12-15-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
RPenner I am with you, she was DRUNK take her for all you can, so next time she is drunk she wont go out and drive and kill somebody's loved ones!!
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-15-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
i agree.....its one thing if its an ACCIDENT ! but driving drunk and crossing the double yellow line and ramming your car into someone at 50 miles an hour without hitting the brakes....thats no accident to me....thats in incompetient human being who is a reckless drunk...she tinks because she is loaded with money she can get a lawyer and get out of it....
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
Ditto RPenner..... If she wasn't drunk I would say let it go. No excuses for driving drunk, she needs more than a lesson!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
If you did sue her it probably wouldn't even go to court if she really does have money. Her lawyer would probably advise her to settle out of court, might get a new truck out of it. Just because she was driving a BMW doesn't mean she has money though.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-15-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
I agree with taking her for all that she is worth if she was drunk. My grandmother was hit by a drunk/coke addict not to long ago and she will never walk again and that idiot was absolutely fine. She had no money and it wasn't even her car so a lawsuit would do absolutely nothing. People like that should be shot.
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-15-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
its not about the money....its the fact that some drunk smashed into my $35,000 truck i got less then 8 months ago....now the insurance company wont total it out......they "said the fixed the truck" and gave it back to me.....while i was driving home i noticed a loud rubbing noise....anyways it turned out they gave it back to me with a bent front axle.......so i then took it back to the shop and they put a new one in.....i want my truck replaced, and they wont do that...thats why i want to sue....i had a great truck, until some drunk rammed it and messed it up.......would you agree ? why should i be stuck with this truck after it has been hit at 50mph ? SHE WAS driving drunk not me...........i was just driving back from the lake with my boat.....they give my truck back to me with a bent axle and my power steering was buzzing.......along with my headlights, one pointing up and the other pointing down.....what a joke....i think her insurance company should keep the truck and give me my 35,000 back....its bowl...its been in the shop for 50 days now...they keep messing up with the repairs.....any advice on what i can do ? to either make them keep the truck and make her insurance company give me my 35,000 back ?????? anyone know the laws on not accepting a truck back.....just not sign off on it.....
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
John that's what I'm saying, you should get a new truck out of the deal. That truck will never be the same again. Maybe you should have a consultation with a lawer and he could give you some better legal advice.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-15-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Take the drunk to court. I wouldn't sign off on the truck. Also, make sure they are using NEW parts when fixing your stuff not just referbed garbage.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-15-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
you drive drunk and run into someone, you deserve to be completely raked over the coals and should pay till your eyes bleed.

You shouldn't have to pay anything to fix the situation that that dumb broad caused; if the woman was selfish enough to drive drunk and crashed into you, F' her. Lawyer up and get what you are entitled to.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-15-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
Greg, no offense, but get over yourself.

He's not suing because he went to McDonald's and burnt himself on their hot coffee. He was hit by a DRUNK driver, yes he should be grateful he wasn't hurt, but he should be pissed that he easily could have been killed by the actions of a completely selfish woman.
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-15-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Thank you CJ Meert & Sinko........im not some bumb just trying to get money......lol....i told her insurance company AAA...all i want is my truck back.....a truck that has not been hit..i spent alot of money on that...had it for a couple months and no its toast....AAA said they wont total it and all they will do is fix it...they being stingie about it....i told the lady at aaa "Your client hit me drunk behind the wheel, fkd my truck up and now you trying to "fix it" and give it back...all i want is a truck that has not been hit..." no sorry sir we cant do that for you....ur fame is not bent......im just going to sue....that all i can do.....their taking forever to fix it.....the messed up twice on the fix.....im over it...i want a new truck...would if i dont sign off on it at the shop and just refuse to take it back...test drive it and then say it doesnt drive like it did...im just not going to sign anything.........u think that will work ? JUST Keep telling the insurance company i want a truck that has not been hit ?????? lIKE I SAID before, i wasnt driving drunk and i didnt hit anyone...she crossed into my lane going like a bat out of hell..blacked out....loose cannon....didnt even hit the breaks....it crushed her bmw into a ball....i have to say, those fords to take a beating......
Old     (dstockton)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-15-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
John, the first time I was hit my truck was 10 days old, only driven 3days(went on vacation). I wanted a new truck,they said not unless repair was more than 80% value of truck.Repairs were 15000 and 2 months in shop. Everything was fixed but everytime I hear or feel something I wonder if it's from the accident.Make sure you take it to repair shop you choose and be picky and a pain in the ass. Good luck
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-15-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
thats what i dont want to happen....3 years from now be driving and her all these rickel rattles from the impact....everything gets josseld around when hit with that kind of impact......i dont want to hold onto the truck and end up paying 28,000 after finance....not to mention my back is jacked....my center left side side cramps up everyday..big time...i have to go to the chiropractor 3 days a week...been going for a month and half to the chiropracter already...back still is all cramped up....i go to the doc, feel good for a day or so, then it cramps up again....im pissed.....
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-15-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
I promise you will not get a new truck. If you do not sign off on it they will no longer pay for a rental and you're truck will sit at the shop. When you sign off it will release AAA and their client of any legal responsibility. I would try to get a settlement for depreciation of you're truck. It will have a dirty car fax now. If the frame was not damaged I would not worry. A good shop will fix it and you will never know it was hit. I would go after them for personal injury. I have had to deal with insurance companies to many times. They never want to pay. Rape them for all you can and don't feel bad. They will rape you if they get the chance.
Old     (dstockton)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-15-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
just do what your doing. Get yourself healthy, and remember the longer the rehab the bigger the settlement. It makes those rattles and noises not seem so bad.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-15-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
Sounds like your shop is incompetent. YOu need to take the truck to a decent shop.

She should be having criminal charges brought against her if she was drunk, right? I assume she got a citation? Sue her as well.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-16-2007, 12:25 AM Reply   
Look up.....Diminished Value Claim.... and make one
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-16-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
Vehicles are always repairable no matter how badly damaged. The only bummer is when you go to sell it now it has a carfax report of a accident. So your trade in and your private party value are shot. The insurance company diden't total the truck so your stuck with it. Just drive it until 100k so you can get your money out of it. As her being drunk you may have somthing their but still again if you signed off on insurance it could be a long and costly battle.
Lucky for everyone else on the road that she hit you and not someone driving a much smaller vehicle.
Old    mendo247            12-16-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
SUE! SUE! SUE!! That will fix all your problems!

And everyone wonders why insurance rates are so high

Get your truck to a good shop. We fix vehicles like your all the time, nobodys perfect but getting it back to preaccident condition should not be a problem for a good shop. AAA will waranty the repairs and any accident related problems as long as you own the vehicle. I dont see you getting a new truck out of it, espically since its already been fixed.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-16-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
I would definitely consider contacting a lawyer, based solely on the fact that your truck was supposedly "fixed", and you got it back with a bent axle, messed up headlights, etc...obviously the insurance repairs did not do the job.

Sorry to hear about it, very unfortunate.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-17-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Seriously, get it to a new shop. I destroy cars like they are going out of style and I have a shop where they know me and always do a great job (hansen collision in GR Michigan) and no matter how bad the damage is it always comes back basically new. They have fixed 2 cars that easily have been considered totaled. I will admit I've done a few that couldn't be fixed and went to the crusher- you've got to know when to fold 'em I suppose.

The shop is your problem, find the right shop and you'll have a great car again. However, you will never get your brain past the idea the truck isn't the same. Everytime is shakes or shimmys, even if it was normal for a truck like that, you will blame it on the accident. It sucks but them's the breaks. At least you aren't dead! Sounds like you should be if you got smoked at 50mph!
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-17-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Not defending driving drunk, but did you think when you got insurance that if you were in an accident that is not your fault that they give you a new car? Why are you mad at the insurance company? disclaimer: I don't like dealing w/insurance company for anything either, they make it to difficult.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-17-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
In the grand scheme of things the truck is the least of your worries. I would definately look into a lawsuit for your back. That's what's important.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-17-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
Seriously, I truly hope that NONE of the people that are saying don't sue ever have to get hit by a drunk driver. Insurance rates are so high because of ********s like that woman who go to the bar, get blitzed, and then kill someone else in a car crash after they decide to drive themselves home.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-18-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
I would do everything I could to get criminal charges enacted if a drunk driver hit me.

Get her some time in the slammer and loss of license.