Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-27-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Is anyone else itching to try one of these out? I just got word that they are now available to purchase... I'm just having a hard time convincing myself it's a reasonable buy.

-Blake
Old    walt            03-27-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
How much are they asking ?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-27-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
$1,999.00
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-27-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
There's really no place to accomodate one of these around San Diego. Unless I'm overlooking somewhere, which is very possible? How long do you think we could get away with it at San V?

I have a friend who has a small private lake/pond behind his house... It'd be great for out there, assuming we could put in a slider and kicker, or two. Buzz, do you know who I'm talking about?

-Blake
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-27-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
make one 2000 is rediculous my friend has one i bet it cost about 200 bux plus time. we use it out at a slider we built in a pond
Old     (liquid1)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-28-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
Charley, do you think we could get some basic plans on how you made one? I saw the gator boards one last year a worlds, and my biggest worry was about the gearing, doe sit take a while to find the right size chainring. Do you have to manufactuer your own, or do you use like a MX ring?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-28-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
Blake - Anywhere there's water.. No point in taking it to San V since you can use a boat there. Now you can rider in any waterway, pond, cow watering hole, etc... it opens a lot of doors!

Charley - hehehe... You're on!! $50 says you can NOT build one for less than $200! (This means no "bro-hook ups", borrowed/leased/stolen parts...) It will have to have the same specs as the blackbox: 1000ft of line, 6.5hp motor, etc...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-28-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
1000 ft of line? Damn!
Old     (liquid1)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-28-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
Does the Hypoxic winch come with line? The way i read it you have to provide your own, which could be a little pricey also. 1000ft X 0.87ft = $870.00 That might be a little off, just going off what i remember seeing spectra going for in bulk.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-28-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
That's what I said, "Damn, that's a lot of line!"

My roommate said, "That's a lot of money, in A-Lines!"

We talked about making one, I don't think it'd be too hard, and you'd probably come out a lot cheaper. I do agree with Kung Fu... It's going to take a little more than $200.

-Blake
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-28-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
The BLACKBOX does not include the line. We can get 500 feet of spectra line with no links for you included in your purchase for an additional $270.00 Thats a pretty good deal compared to buying that much from a wakeboard shop. 1000 feet of line is so long. Once you compare 1000 feet to something youll notice how far it is.

PS.. good luck with that 200 number
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-28-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Why would you need to buck up for the spectra line for this application?

And I do have a spectra line when I ride, but why for this?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-28-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
You could tie a bunch of regular length ropes together... But to have the most fun you'll need at least 200-250 feet of line.
Old    200winch            04-04-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
kung fu im here to collect my 50 bucks. heres the break down. $50 for steel tubing from muffler shop. $15 for pillow block bearings off of e-bay. 6.5 horse motor off of a broken air-compressor bought for 25 bucks from construction company. $25 bucks for steel air hose reel. $25 for gears and chain bought on-line from go cart parts site. $30 for centrifical clutch. $5 bucks for gas.
Old    200winch            04-04-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
and your $50 can help are rope fund.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-04-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
Let's see the pics??? Sure you've found all the stuff you need for less than $200, but will it work once it's put together? I think you could build a decent winch for less than $2K, but it's going to cost a little more than $200. I'm thinking a nice setup would have a total build cost of $500-$600?

-Blake
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-04-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
Total cost is $150... not bad, but the keyword is "Build" and you'll need to provide the receipts to prove it... With all those round numbers sounds like there was no tax. hmmmm?

Blake is right we will need to see video of your winch up, running, and pulling a rider from a deep water start..
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-04-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
For all of you who Know Temecula. There is a Man made Lake in Temecula where a residential neighborhood is being built called Harveston.
Harveston.com. The lake would be perfect for this!!!! Im thinking its against every rule out there for this community but I guarantee it doesnt say any thing about it in the CC&R's.
They even have lights on it at night!!!

Just have the getaway car gased up!!!!!
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-04-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
I can get the same function from my quad.

All I have to do is put the rear end up on blocks and have a rim without a tire to wrap the line.
Old    200winch            04-04-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
as soon as the vid is done ill post. keyword is "build". thats right instead of paying 2 grand we spent a some time and built one that works just as good for a fraction of the cost.
thats the only pic i got now but it doesnt really show the winch but it is showing us gettin pulled.
Old    200winch            04-04-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
and yes blake it is up and running like a champ weve been riding behind it for a month now with no problems
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-04-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
Okay, it looks like Steve (KingsKrew), and I are up for the challenge. We're going to attempt to build our own winch set-up... But I don't think we're going to make for less than $200 bucks. We'll spend what we have to, just not $2K, nor $1K. So, if you have any helpfull tips, pass them along. We'll post some pics once we get rollin' on the project.

-Blake
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2005, 4:26 AM Reply   
Blake, Use my idea.

I say buy a four stroke quad, prop up the rear end, use a rear rim without a tire on it to wind the rope.

You'll be able to control the speed with the transmission, clutch and the throttle.

It will have way more pulling power than a 6hp Briggs & Straton.

When you grow tired of wake and skate you can bolt the rear rim with tire back on and rip around the quad.

The resale value will be better also.

What do you think?
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-07-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
Johnny-what size are the sprockets? How many teeth on each one? Did you get the clucth from the same cart-site? What site?
Looks killer... We have a ton of water around my house that this would work great for.
Good luck guys ! Thanks...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-07-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
How do you keep the quad in one place? The pull of the rider will pull it backwards off whatever blocks you've got it on. That's when the fun begins!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-07-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
Please make sure to video tape your quad-winch attempts!
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-07-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
or put the winch on the quad
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-07-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
I think using a quad is a good idea, but that's not my style. I'd rather have a unit specifically built for that use. Don't ask me why, that's just what I'd prefer... I guess it's the frivolous spender in me?

David brought up a good point... You're going to put a lot of pull on the quad, is it safe to use it as a winch, or even as an anchor? Like Fu said, "make sure to video tape your quad-winch attempts," that'll be good entertainment.

-Blake
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2005, 7:06 PM Reply   
Blake,
No worries, I've got it all planned out in my head... (j/k). I would really like to get an up close look at a real one before we decide what direction to go. Anyone in the San Diego have one or know someone around with one?

-Steve
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-07-2005, 7:54 PM Reply   
so the challenge to get it done in under 200 is only for when u have to pay for everything then?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
For Blake,

The Winch has specs for "holes" you can use to spike it down on the ground. I am not sure how strong that is relative to a beefy quad. The other problem is needing a 2" reciever on the quad to hold it. During the deepwater start is where I'd expect the failure...once you're up the drag should be minimal.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-08-2005, 4:44 PM Reply   
Eric,

You've got a good point, and I agree, if it can be staked down, a quad could probably get the job done. As for me, I'd rather build my own version of the winch, instead of using a quad. I just think that's too easy... Yeah, you can call me stupid.

I looked around today, and found that the prices aren't too bad... If you buy the equipment, and build it yourself. There's really not much to it, and I can honestly say, you'd have a pretty nice setup for less than $500.

-Blake
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
blake

get er done....were waiting...
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
Dave,

You can tie-strap the quad in the back of a pick-up truck. Front wheels against the front of the bed. blocks under the frame so the rear wheels are off the floor of the bed.
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
Dave,

Also, straps going from each side of the frame to the bed of the truck to prevent the rear from swinging side to side.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2005, 7:56 AM Reply   
Hey Blake...not stupid at all. I am thinking of doing the same thing. I can weld and have access to the materials I need. A good motor at Northern Tool seems to run from 250-600 depending on the HP and goodies you want. They also have cart parts like the CF clutch and sprockets anywhere from 40-72 teeth. The also have things like throtles and such which might make an easier to use unit.

Eric
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-12-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
Eric,

I searched up some online go-kart shops, and found that the parts, that are needed, aren't expensive. The major expense is the motor, and I found several brand new 6.0hp, and 6.5hp, engines for $250... There were also a lot of them on e-bay, for cheaper prices. Hopefully we get the ball rolling on this project soon. As of right now, we're still in the "yeah, we need to do that" stage.

-Blake
Old    drewsky24            04-12-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
how can i convert an old go-cart into a winch? how do post pics?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-13-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
A gocart? First you'd need to remove a rear wheel and replace it with a reel for the line. Then you'd need to find some way to anchor it still and gas it up to full throtle to pull the rider up. Basically the driveline for a go-cart is what you're trying to emulate anyhow.

Hey blake...I was looking for a motor with a keystart. Did you see any of those? I'm basically lazy and don't want to be huffing pullstarting the motor!

Eric
Old    drewsky24            04-13-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
Where can i get the right reel, do you think Home Depot might have it?
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-13-2005, 3:42 PM Reply   
The right reel is any reel that will wind the line. Yes, you can find something that will work at Home Depot. Try using an airhose reel.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Eric,
There's plenty of electric start engines out there, they run about $100 more than the pull starts. I don't think they use a key, but if you needed one you could rig one instead of a button pretty easily.

Blake,
When did you want to get started, the sooner the better, so we can get the most use out of it this season!

-Steve
Old    penny4urthots            04-14-2005, 12:27 AM Reply   
Pretty much D. Turner first of all deserves some credit for even attempting to run with a pretty solid winch that is an actual "production" model. As riders and "fans" of the future we are also indebted to him in a way since they decided to promote, market, and further open the doors of a more "extreme" type of riding. I have, and always will be a soldier of progression, so Danny props to you and my fellow Californian's for opening the eyes of the "not-so-wake" community. As we all know the originality is not owned by the HYPOXIC crew but the trailblazin' retail awareness and exposure may be. Props from a brother, I am mowing lawns as we speak to get mine from ya ASAP!
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-17-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
I gotta second the sentiment shared by skiboredr4life (my second guess at identity would by the great Mike Rogers, although I can't see Rogers schleppin' lawns). When you take a look at the total cost of parts alone it seems to hover somewhere around $600. Adding in the labor to construct then the commercially standard 40% retail mark-up for profit and Danny has a fairly priced item.

Believe me, I'm the type to go the "Sanford and Son" route to do something that's established as functional for a lower cost, and if I had a quad I'd be out back McGyvering some huge spooled back wheel to make something happen.

For all you guys who are undertaking the "build at home winch project" I wish you the best of luck and I hope you all have perfect success. The more people that use them, the more people that see them, and the better the representation is for wakeskating and wakeboarding. The winch is a fresh concept in the sport, and one that is a healthy injection of positive life. The growth of wakeboarding and wakeskating has been stunted by the barrier of $$ entry to the sport: If you don't have a boat or know someone that does, you're not riding, simple as that. Okay, there are the cable parks, but they are too few and far beetween to have large scale impact.

Although I don't know Danny Turner well, I do know that cinemetographers are some of the most stoked wake advocates you'll find. NO ONE gets into that business for the financial rewards it will bring. They do it because they love the sport and they love their art form of filming. I do know that Danny has been busting his ass filming and producing his movies and it just benefits both forms of riding having the exposure. To think that he's further diversifying by creating the Hypoxic winch just furthers his legacy to the sport. He's a relative newcomer who's doing more than his his fair share of trailblazing. Props to you, Danny!
And those are some tight cornrows in your profile photo!