Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
Okay, doing some Backroll's on the tramp since last winter and being practice the backroll behind the boat since the beginning of the saison. I can get the backroll perfect, land 8 out of the 10 times on the board, just after the second wake. Nice/perfect rotation, and height (according other boarders). But.... I never hold that damn handle. All of I think about when starting the backroll is; "hold the handle" and at 3/4-7/8 of the roll I let it go. Any suggestions? It already cost me alot of beers and frustration and I need to land this trick this saison or I would really start doubting myself (besides I lose a bbq for alot of people)... So any small suggestions would be helpfull (and no glue or tape sollutions please ).
Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2005, 9:18 AM Reply   
Hey Tommy. I had the exact same problem when I first started trying backrolls. The bad news is I don't think there is any trick to it. When you pick up bad habits, it's hard to get rid of them. What happened to me was I would try and focus on holding the handle, but I soon as I got into the air, I lost that focus and dropped it again.

What helped me was to have someone videotape me and then watch exactly when I was dropping the handle. Holding on super tight to the handle during my approch made me land my first one. As I'm saying this to you, I just had another idea. Even when I had landed my first rolls, I couldn't get them consistent and sometimes still dropped the handle. I think this was because even tough I had the correct rotation, I couldn't spot the landing, which made me drop the handle since I was mentally headed for a crash. Turning my head towards my lead shoulder as I started the trick was the key to getting it consistent.

Last but not least, stay positive! After a while every time I went for a roll, I would think "Here goes another crash". Might sound dumb, but I think correcting that small voice inside and telling it that I was actually going to LAND this one helped me a lot.

Hope this helps you in any way, and hope you land it before the season ends! Good luck dude!

(Message edited by janzy on September 13, 2005)