Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-25-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
So I don't live anywhere near any cable parks. I've always wanted to try to grind something. No grind rails for the public near where I am, from what I can gather.

Does anyone have experience building their own small grind rails or sliders? Any suggestions on what that entails? I would really like to build something for my personal use. Don't know if a floating rail or fixed/grounded rail would be easier.

I feel like it can't be too difficult. I have plenty of people and tools to help me get it done.

Any help would be awesome
Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-26-2014, 4:14 PM Reply   
8 ft. Tall out of water, however tall you need in the water. 20 ft. long and super easy to make. Put it in the water and put sand bags on each corner.
Attached Images

Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-26-2014, 4:15 PM Reply   
Here is a pic in the water. Sorry it's sideways!
Attached Images

Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-26-2014, 6:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyroberts18 View Post

That looks awesome. How deep is that water? And do you leave it in the water all summer, or take it in and out each weekend? My problem is locating a attainable location near my place that is close to shore. I'll probably being using a Seadoo so that I can get more in the shallow waters. The boat can handle anything under 20 feet.
Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-26-2014, 6:39 PM Reply   
It's portable, pulled it out with a waverunner. Hit it all day. Pulled it back in with a waverunner. Transported on a trailer to the lake. The water is about 6 feet deep or so.
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-26-2014, 6:40 PM Reply   
Quote:

Also, so you always use the PVC tubing at the top, or have you tried switching it out for a flat PVC/plastic material? Do you the pros and cons of each style (round tube vs flat plastic material)?
Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-26-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
This is a 4 inch pvc with slots cut in it for the two by fours. I haven't built a flat bar yet because I have been injured for the past month and a half. If there is anything I would do to make this one better, it would be make it longer.
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-26-2014, 6:47 PM Reply   
Thanks again. That's excellent stuff. Got some homework to do
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-26-2014, 8:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
This is a 4 inch pvc with slots cut in it for the two by fours. I haven't built a flat bar yet because I have been injured for the past month and a half. If there is anything I would do to make this one better, it would be make it longer.

One last thing, any tips on beginner rail riding? If I'm doing a boardslide or something similar to that, do I have to lift the front edge/closest to the boat off of the rail so that it won't catch an edge? Or does that not matter, and I can just lay the board flat all the way through?
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-26-2014, 8:06 PM Reply   
And do I have to do anything to the rail to make it ready for use? Make it wet, put some type of grinding wax on it, etc?
Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-27-2014, 7:27 AM Reply   
You can keep the board flat and no edge catching will happen. Also, no prep needed. Weight it down, put the pipe on, shred the gnar.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-27-2014, 8:08 AM Reply   
There is a strip club down the street that has a sliders and rail grinding lunch special. Sorry, Some things I just can't pass up.

Knees, trees, freeze. Bend your knees, keep your head up and watch the rail with your peripheral vision and don't move. On top of that, keep the handle low.