Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-02-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
i remember an article i read somewhere but forgot what it said about this.

here is my problem: im 6ft 190lbs ride a 142, and have my bindings 1 in from all the way out, and both feet are ducked. well lately after a day of plenty heelside jumps my back leg knee hurts in the back of the knee, which doesnt bother me a whole lot, but then recently when i go switch (back leg knee now my front knee) will start hurting bad, but this time in the front of the knee towards the outside of the leg, i made it hurt pretty bad when i went heelside w2w 180 into the flats.

now i know some if not most of the problem is that when i land/go switch i want to put too much weight on my front foot, which straightens my leg which pressures my knee when chop or rollers come because im not fully absorbing them.

but i know some of the problem is the degree of duck to my bindings i think, or are the bindings out too far, and if its the duck to i brings the in towards center or duck them more towards ends?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-02-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
There is a one page article in the August issue of WBM that talks about this very subject. Yes, ducking your feet out or having them too straight, puts undue stress on both acl, mcl, and meniscus. They give you an example of jumping in the air or something and how you naturally land should be similar to your binding position.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-02-2005, 3:44 PM Reply   
stand on a step, or curb or something and jump up and forward a little bit, and land in an athletic position so someone wouldn't be able to push you over, then look at your feet, and that's the angle that they should be on your board. With your height and weight I would just ride it all the way out. All the way out, I feel more controlled, and it gives more room to bring my legs up and get grabs. It's also easier to correct a misaligned landing. It will probably ride a little better in the chop.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-02-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
doesnt the further apart from your shoulders put more stress on your hips/knees?

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-02-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
not necessarily. I'm not talking about like 3 feet apart. You're a tall guy, and a 142 all the way out, isn't gonna be that much wider than your shoulders. I'm 5'9" and I ride a 138 all the way out. 24.5 inches wide, and I can tell you that's a lot wider than my shoulders.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-02-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
its all personal preference, if it hurts don't do it. Experiment a little, I have mine slightly ducked one in from all the way out, front ducked slightly more than rear, I didnt like em all the way out on a 140... Im 5'10" 180
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-02-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
YES!!!! My knees used to kill after riding and I had my bindings pretty ducked out. I brought them in a ton, in fact they're barely ducked out now, and my knees problems are gone.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-04-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
well, i jumped off a chair and noticed that my right (back) foot likes to be ducked out a bunch compared to the left (front) so i changed that, and it feels alot better, i also went all the way out and landings are smoother. and yes grabs are easier.

my first run sucked, i back planted like 4x out of 5 falls, because i kept catching the center fit, being all the way out puts my weight more out there, so i removed the center fin for the 2nd run and made some of the best runs this year.

i think i needed mine more ducked because it was the outside of my knee hurting, probly from the knee wanting to twist out more because of the not ducked enough.

thanks for help
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
I torn one of my knees up trying out diffrent boot setups. Too much duck, a little to wide, tore a few things on a simple toe side wake to wake 180. I believe the position of my feet was to blame. I need to ride with my feet straight, or close to it, just in from all the way out.