Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-16-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
the first one went at 86 hr before I made my third payment . Second one went at 99hr with just 14 hr on it. Has anyone else had a problem with there Indmar engine
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-16-2005, 10:10 PM Reply   
what are you doing to them¿???
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-16-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
I blew up the second one today.I had 1 kid 90 lbs my wife 140 lb I was riding 190 lb Very little ballast to even out the boat. Because the motor is still so new . We have not even pushed the new motor over 32 mph . Check oil two days ago no problem
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-16-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
When I blew up the first one I was concerned I may have done something wrong .But my dealer told me It was nothing i could have done .It was a problem from the factory or a failed part it was fine one second and then two thumps and a exsplosion luckly no fire just smoke and oil . Two hole in the block and one in the pan .By the way the boat was empty of pepole and ballast I was going to pick up my drew Cruising 22 = or - after idling it to warm while i loaded the gear.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2005, 10:46 PM Reply   
They should be able to give you a reason for the blown motors. Whether it was due to a lean condition, or maybe a broken valve, etc. A motor doesn't just blow for no reason and there are tale tale signs of why...
Old    ryan_bailey            10-17-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
closed loop or fresh water? is your intake plugged?
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-17-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
My boat is for fresh water. I took it to the dealer today they have not sent the first motor back to indmar yet so it has not been torn down yet to determined what went wrong .As far as intake the dealer was going to check the boat out ,it was not plug on the first motor.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2005, 3:37 AM Reply   
Any news on the blown engines?
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-19-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
the owner of boardstop.com lives here in austin and he too blew the engine in his 24ssv. sounds like indmar is having some issues w/ their MPI engines. is that the type of engine u have Danny Kyelberg??
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-19-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
My engine blew at 20 hours! (24 SSV, 340 Assault, fresh water)
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-19-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
I read something awhile back about them not being properly balanced when they are put in. I am not sure how this would lead to a blown engine but that is what someone stated. This post scares the hell outta me. Just got a new 24 with the 340 Assault. My problem has been that it loses 2 or 3 hundred rpm's instantly and randomly making it hard as hell to keep a constant speed even with PP. Anyone else have this problem?
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-19-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
Indmar sucks if you ask me. we have there 8.1 litre and it has rpm issues as well. sometimes it stalls out if your not carefull and the engine before that was the malibu ls1 corvette and the belt system wasn't installed right so one of the brackets kept breaking off. The new malibu hammerhead has all kinds of probmlems too. anyway you just kind of hope and pray that the engine you get is a good one. :-)
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-19-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
I have heard that there are several issues with the 8.1L engine. I thik I even heard a dealer say they wouldn't recommend it. Anyone have any ideas on what they consider to be the absolute best engine or is it kinda like cars. You can get good or bad depending on what kinda day the guys had when they were putting it together?
Old    ryan_bailey            10-19-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
PCM all the way! 835 hours and counting in less than two years!
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-19-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
sbruns what was the problem with your engine did your dealer fix it quick ? Gene when I first got my boat I had prolems with pp until I changed the settings maybe youcould try that.I am going to call my dealer tomorrow for an update
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-19-2005, 9:12 PM Reply   
Danny, yours is the 24SSV with the 340hp engine in it?
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-19-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
Gene yes mine is the 340 why do you ask have you heard of any problems
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-19-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
It is not PP it was happening before it was installed. I have heard that the 340 is supposed to be pretty solid but a few people has issues with how they were installed. I have the 340 so it worries me a little that you had 2 blow on you.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2005, 8:25 AM Reply   
With today's motors, you either have a good one or a bad one. The fact that they blew in less than 100 hours is a good thing - warranty covers it. It is a lot better than a decade ago when motors would slowly die off.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
And people dog mercruiser?? Danny all I can say is good luck and Indmar should stand solidly behind their product.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
Whether you have PCM or Indmar it makes little difference since they are now using GM blocks and the blocks are causing the most problems not the marinization parts and processes that are unique to each company.

Just yesterday I spoke with a service manager who works on both engines and he says that the newer blocks are having trouble with carbon build up around the piston rings and they are not seating properly. This is especially a problem in both the 383 and the ZR6. They way I understand it is that engines are burning more oil and losing power, the piston are heating up from blow by and causing failures. I don't no if this is truly the case since I only have one source for the info, but he did seem to be very reliable. He also said that GM has put out a product that must be poured into the cylinders to disolve any carbon build up, sucked out several hours later and then change the oil. This will stop oil burning and help seat the rings.
This is not isolated to the higher performance engines the 340's have been plagued as well just in far fewer numbers.
His recommendations are to use the appropriate fuel octane rating, keep a close eye on oil levels and report moderate oil burning to the service department.

Has anybody heard anything else with regard to these engines? I would like to get another source.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-20-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
Carbon build up around the piston rings could not be due to the block, it sounds like an internal oil leak, an air/fuel mixture problem or possibly a piston ring issue. Although with so many moving parts it could be just about anything, especially a QUALITY CONTROL issue.
My 2-Cents.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
I'm sorry. When I said block I meant all the parts that come standard with the engine prior to marinization.
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
Danny,
My dealer did get the engine replaced, unfortuneatley it took a LONG time: Problem was "Indmar didn't have any long blocks in inventory", they had already started production on 06's and were out of 05's.
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-20-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
I talk to my dealer today and the new motor was ship out tues so I should have my boat back in about 10 days . They are sendind a new complete motor the Bad motors are on the way back to Indmar I don't know if they will every tell me what went wrong
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-21-2005, 2:02 AM Reply   
If they do, tell us what went wrong......
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-21-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
I think I know what the problem is.... they must be Mercruisers with an Indmar Engine cover... because we all know Mercruiser sucks... thats why I keep buying them... and Indmar is the best.. which I havent used yet.... oh well... good luck!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-22-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
No One mentions the break-in period here. Remember to vary the speed for the first 10 hours and NEVER run the boat wide open until you have a min of 15 hrs on it. And excess load in the first few hours of an engine's life will put a lot of strain on new parts that are settling in- rings need quite a while to settle in or they'll eat your piston walls and metal will get in the valves, which could easily blow a motor. What you do to the engine in the first few running hours can effect the performance forever.
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-22-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
Will I broke-in my boat just as I was told by my dealer . I Made sure I did not even take the boat above 30 mph Idid not fill my stock ballast and had only about 5 or less pepole in the boat. I am very easy on my boat I did not do anything to cause the motors to blow.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-23-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
That's too bad dude. Even though it's under warranty, you still have to take it into the shop and you're not using it for a while. I'd like to see a "service loaner" program somewhere- I'd buy a boat from a dealer - no matter what kind - just to get that!
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-23-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
MY DEALER IS THREE HOURS ONE WAY . THE LOANER WOULD BE COOL , HOWEVER i DON'T GET MUCH WORK DONE WITH MY BOAT I ALWAYS GRAB A FEW OF MY CREW AND GO OUT FOR A SESSION SO MY JOBS ALWAYS SUFFER . SO WITHOUT THE BOAT PRODUCTION AT WORK AND AT HOME GOES UP . I LOOK FOWARD TO GETTING MY BOAT BACK SO I CAN PLAY MORE AND WORK LESS.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-24-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
Break in has always been a mistery to me as i used to road race motorcycles and an engine back then was broken in after a couple heat cycles and ready for WFO, not 15 hours???