Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Eden)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-23-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
Like the topic says... when you first started learning to wake, what tricks could you do after 12 months of riding... ??

Ive been riding for one year, and trying to guage my progress....
Old    Chaserwaser            07-23-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
Alot of this is going to depend on peoples ages as well eden, When I started I was 10 and a year after riding I was comfrotable with HS/TS 1 Wake Jumps with indy , mute , and roast beef grabs and surface / ollie 180s Which is pretty good for 10 in my book so suck it ... as time went on I moved my jumps wake to wake and progressed alot more with grabbing and wake to wake 180s and backrolls, Now im working on alot more inverts and raley based tricks .. 10 years later BUTTT the only reason I have progressed super slow is because when I was younger my parents were together and had a tige but then they split at 13 and we had to get rid of the boat and I had no ride time except for in compeititons .. now I have a best friend with a new RZ2 so my progression is starting to move up again YAYY
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
wake to wake jump and wake to wake 180 heelside.thats about it but i started wakeboarding when i was 43 years old. kinda lat huh?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-23-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
I started riding on a Skurfer Launch in 1991, back then your were lucky if you could get up on the board.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
W2W and butterslide. and going on my 3rd season and that still it! I have tried a few 180's but have not landed them yet. but its all about getting out and having fun with friends and familyfor me. i will keep riding and trying to get better but thats not what its about for me.
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-23-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
Hs wake to wake and a little bit of switch riding
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-23-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Hs 180, 360 .,s oa hs 3,ts oa 5, hs front flip, tamtrum, crow w/ grabs.
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-23-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
started when i was 12 and landed a tantrum by the end of the summer
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
Wow Lee thats impressive. For me it was w2w TS/HS, a few heel side grabs, ollie and surface 1s, TS 1s, and my bomb move was a fashion air LOL. The number 1 thing I learned was how to have fun behind an I/O with a 4 banger.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-23-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Andy Nintzel Nintzel (andy_nintzel)
I started riding on a Skurfer Launch in 1991, back then your were lucky if you could get up on the board.
Word Andy!!
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Kevin, you pretty much covered my exact skill level. This is my fourth season, now with a new boat (and new, bigger wake). Hoping to get 180's dialed in by the end of the short season we have here, and maybe 360 attempts too. Fun with family and friends is paramount, and riding's just an added bonus
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-23-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Andy Nintzel Nintzel (andy_nintzel)
Ain't that the truth. Long stretchy rope tied to water level on I/O...took me years to learn to clear the wake. Back in those days, went one week per year and mixed in skurfing, slalom skiing, barefooting and even some tubing. Good times. The Hyperlite BAFF and Spray changed everything for me...

Last edited by brhanley; 07-23-2010 at 1:13 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-23-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Face Plant and the "Ewwwwwww, that's going to hurt".
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-23-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecs View Post
Face Plant and the "Ewwwwwww, that's going to hurt".
I'm in my first season and am getting pretty good at these... Once I dialed in my face plants, the "Ewwww, that's going to hurt" came naturally.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
i could cut outside of the wake and back in thats about it
Old     (02Suprassv)      Join Date: May 2010       07-24-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
I am just about 3 months into my first season, I bought my boat in the beginning of May and thats when I first started to riding. So far I have heel side w2w, toe side 1 wake jumps, butter slides, ollies, and I have done a some switch riding but cant land any jumps doing that yet. This season I really want to get toe side w2w, some grabs and 180's and maybe attempt to get the tantrum or back roll down but we will see how that goes.
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-24-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
I'm with Nintzel, except mine was a Connelly Hawaiian ski! Also I seem to recall that My dad bought it on closeout in the fall and We did not learn to get up on it until the next summer. I think at one point we were even trying to get up on it with a double handle slalom rope! Ahhh, the days when no one wakeboarded!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaszkow View Post
Kevin, you pretty much covered my exact skill level. This is my fourth season, now with a new boat (and new, bigger wake). Hoping to get 180's dialed in by the end of the short season we have here, and maybe 360 attempts too. Fun with family and friends is paramount, and riding's just an added bonus
Yeah its really all about firends and family JJ. ...But that being said it a challenge between me and you to see who can land the first 180.
Old     (Eden)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-25-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
nice... thanks guys... seems like Im progressing normally then... haha
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-25-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
W2W w/ pretty much all grabs. some surface stuff, pretty much no rotation of any axis.
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-26-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
Damn..I really suck
This is pretty much my first season and I have been out about 6 times. I still havent got W2W yet. Only got surface 180s and the such . Already got 1 concussion and screwed up ankle. Guess being 33 and having to learn everything on my own has something to do with it. I am going back out this weekend and I will get W2W ...I am not going home till I do.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
My first board in the early 90's was a Connelly Bladerunner. I learned a 360 in my first season. Mainly because I originally trick skied and it seemed like the natural thing to learn.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-26-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Well I first strated riding behind a SeaDoo and the pretty much speaks for itself... Stopped riding for many years then got back into it in college (18-19 yrs old)and started riding with an INT team based in AL. They had me starting my first inverts by the end of my first summer. So to answer your question W2W TS/HS with quick grabs and tantrum was my first landed invert. Learning with some experienced riders who know what they are doing makes a HUGE difference.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
francis debelo try shortening the rope a 50' wake jump is a wake jump. build up till you land in the flats. then let rope out 5' at a time as you build confidence. aslo EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD YOU DID A GREAT JOB as long as you had FUN!
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-26-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimal View Post
Damn..I really suck
This is pretty much my first season and I have been out about 6 times. I still havent got W2W yet. Only got surface 180s and the such . Already got 1 concussion and screwed up ankle. Guess being 33 and having to learn everything on my own has something to do with it. I am going back out this weekend and I will get W2W ...I am not going home till I do.
I hear you. I am 32 and just starting with my two stepsons (13 and 15). We went out a hand full of times and the end of last year, and we have been out a handful of times this years. So far I am casing the wake at 65' and 21mph, but not quite W2W - I may need to shroten that a bit to make the W2W happen. I can do surface 180's, lip and butter slides, working on ollie 180 (??) but I feel a bit stuck in a rut. On thing though, I am trying to make myself and the boys ride switch more often and try more things TS - hoping that once we (or at least they) get it we will be more comfortable all around.

As for age, my body definately takes a beating, but I am less sore today after a handful of falls than I was last year - maybe I am more relaxed or wakeboarding is making me younger!

Last edited by cdrymalla; 07-26-2010 at 9:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-26-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite View Post
Hs 180, 360 .,s oa hs 3,ts oa 5, hs front flip, tamtrum, crow w/ grabs.
bwwwha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ah !!!! pfffttt.... ummmm

bwwhaaaaaaaaa ha ha ah aha ha ha hahaa ha ha !!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
BUT GENE hyperlites the man ! if you don't believe me just ask him. LOL
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Let's see, at probably 4 months of riding per year, I was a 3-season vet by the time I had 12 months under my belt. That would have been last year. Last year I had W2W's, both front 180's, and back hand grabs. You guys in year-round riding climates (FL, I'm looking at you!) don't know how good you have it!

By the end of my first season, I was just starting to get W2W's. We had a '77 tri-hull outboard boat with the smallest wake you have ever seen. An extended pylon helped, though.

And just last week, I landed my first front hand grabs! I was actually trying to grab my HS front 180 and forgot to pull the handle... I tried probably 3 times before I realized... Hey, I just landed a new trick! W0000000!!! (that was my exact reaction, too, just because it shows I'm still progressing).

I got a little off-topic in my rambling, but the speed of progression is rather unimportant IMO.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-26-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
I mastered the face-plant. I got it pretty dialed now on my 3rd year. I think I can run with the big dogs, you hold a double-up face-plant contest and I'm your huckleberry!
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-26-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
My buddy told me about this thread tonight and said I had to post my progress...I bought my 1st boat about 3 month ago. I rode for a few weeks then broke my ribs on a spin attempt. I took about 4 weeks off to heal. Now I am back after it and charging hard!!

So far I have Backrolls, Backroll to Reverts, 1/2 Cab rolls, Toeside Backrolls and Tantrums. Wrapped HSFS3's and Passed TSFS 3's plus a few different HS/TS airs and grabs.

Next on my list are Frontrolls, Scarecrows, Raleys, Krypts, passed HSFS3's and TSFS5's. I would also like to learn to hit double ups. Hopefully by the end of the summer!

Oh and I just turned 34 in April.

I should have sticker on the back of my boat that says "Powered by Advil"!
Old     (Eden)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-26-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trio View Post
My buddy told me about this thread tonight and said I had to post my progress...I bought my 1st boat about 3 month ago. I rode for a few weeks then broke my ribs on a spin attempt. I took about 4 weeks off to heal. Now I am back after it and charging hard!!

So far I have Backrolls, Backroll to Reverts, 1/2 Cab rolls, Toeside Backrolls and Tantrums. Wrapped HSFS3's and Passed TSFS 3's plus a few different HS/TS airs and grabs.

Next on my list are Frontrolls, Scarecrows, Raleys, Krypts, passed HSFS3's and TSFS5's. I would also like to learn to hit double ups. Hopefully by the end of the summer!

Oh and I just turned 34 in April.

I should have sticker on the back of my boat that says "Powered by Advil"!

You have all that in 2 months of actual riding time???
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       07-27-2010, 12:57 AM Reply   
Gonna call BS
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
I'm gonna 2nd the BS
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Misfit View Post
I'm gonna 2nd the BS
Man if it isnt BS then I really feel like a tard.....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
i'll give trio a MASTERS DEGREE IN ADVANCED B S . HE would be better than any pro ever was, but now that i think about it he IS at BS!LOL i'm on the floor rolling.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Props if its tru...
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
I have had two short sessions behind an proper tow boat, and one behind a Nautique 196 in crap water and one behind a 31' Sea Ray in l
Lake Michigan. (Dont ask, seemed like a good idea at the time) I can get up, and ride for a decent amount of time. Currently I am working on edging, after reading this thread I feel old and lame, haha.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Misfit View Post
Props if its tru...
look at his profile. he signed up in january 4 months before he ever bought a boat or started wakeboarding. he knows tricks ,terms , abbreviations and slang even 2 and 3 year boarders don't. he's saying i read it in a book and i just went out and did it at 34 years of age.i bet he doesn't even own a boat.LOL
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
at this rate... He should have Dum Dum, Worley Bs, Tootsie, Aspen, Fat Chance in the bag by August. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
WHAT DO YOU MEAN . he will have fs900 bs900 switch ts 1080 and double backroll by late august . it's a lock. but he will own stock in advil by then. oh and he will have sponsership deal with mastercraft and CWB[he rides a marius] oh and............. sorry i can't think as fast as he can.LOL
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I have had two short sessions behind an proper tow boat, and one behind a Nautique 196 in crap water and one behind a 31' Sea Ray in l
Lake Michigan. (Dont ask, seemed like a good idea at the time) I can get up, and ride for a decent amount of time. Currently I am working on edging, after reading this thread I feel old and lame, haha.
I have actually never ridden behind an actual towboat. A couple of trips behind a fishing boat and the rest behind my dads Tahoe Q7. Could this be affecting my progress or do I just need to push it harder??
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have actually never ridden behind an actual towboat. A couple of trips behind a fishing boat and the rest behind my dads Tahoe Q7. Could this be affecting my progress or do I just need to push it harder??
Im not gonna say its affecting your progress because you will get better no matter what you ride behind; it's all about having time on the water. On the other hand riding behind a boat that is built to tow boarders may help you progress quicker... Thats my 2 cents
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think its easier to get up behind a boat with a tower, as its pulling you forward and up at the same time. Time on the water is time on the water, regardless of the boat. The 31' Sea Ray though was a challenge though, on a number of levels...
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-27-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Ha ha ha...Ahhhh man I knew I was going to get a roasting after that post!! I guess I will take the fact that everyone thinks I'm full of ***** as a compliment. Everything I said is true. I am a new wakeboarder but to be fair I am a pretty good kiteboarder and can do almost all of these tricks kiting. I just needed to relearn them behind a boat. It's a totally different type of pull but most of the rolls came quick. Plus all the tricks have the same names. BUT this is my 1st season wakeboarding and that was the question right?! Ha ha ha.

I own an XStar by the way.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
ah haaaaa..... well that being said i would not consider you a new boarder by any means... im a kiteboarder as well and learning to wakeboard before hand made my kiteboarding progression extremely quick. Well keep up the hard work.

Work to Live - Live to Ride!

oh and you should have bought a 210 SANTE.... lol
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
i'll give him his props on a technicality . but it sounds like you transfered tricks you could already do to a wakeboard. more difficult than a cable rider going to a wake.sorry for the beating. we just didn't have all the facts.but we weren't scared to call you out!LOL
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Amen!!!
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-27-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Surface 180s and wakeslides were pretty much all I could do. Still pretty much all I can do
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4gill2 View Post
Surface 180s and wakeslides were pretty much all I could do. Still pretty much all I can do
CHRIS thats not bad. the main thing is to have fun . my wife has been riding for 3 years now and she carves well . will go switch sometimes and jumps one wake. she is building her confidence up to go wake to wake. if you could get someone to coach you that will make you progress that much faster.if not just have fun. thats what it,s all about. HAPPY BOARDING
Old     (xtreme434)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-27-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
Just the basic HS/TS grabs. Still can't do much more. But oh well it's sic.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
i'll give him his props on a technicality . but it sounds like you transfered tricks you could already do to a wakeboard. more difficult than a cable rider going to a wake.sorry for the beating. we just didn't have all the facts.but we weren't scared to call you out!LOL
A friend of mine landed a raley on his first time behind my regular Ski Nautique (the one with a crappy wakeboarding hull). He's a cable rider and was already throwing Raleys, S-Bends, 311's, etc...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
i agree with you john . thats what i was saying easier to go from cable to wake than going from kiteboard to wake.kiteboard is pulled by wind.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
I was thinking it's about the same. If you are already skilled riding the board and performing inverts then even if it's your first time behind a boat, it's not a fair comparison to people just strapping on a board.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
i agree with you john . thats what i was saying easier to go from cable to wake than going from kiteboard to wake.kiteboard is pulled by wind.
Si
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
again i agree TRIO just pulled the houdini on us all by leaving out important information. lets remember what this thread is all about. someone guaging their progress after 12 months time. not fair to riders up north i know. but to me it wasn't a competition.just a general comparison to see where they were. like was said above depending on age and boat and wether or not you had coaching . there are all sorts of variables. all of us should be riding because we enjoy it.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-27-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
CHRIS thats not bad. the main thing is to have fun . my wife has been riding for 3 years now and she carves well . will go switch sometimes and jumps one wake. she is building her confidence up to go wake to wake. if you could get someone to coach you that will make you progress that much faster.if not just have fun. thats what it,s all about. HAPPY BOARDING

Thanks

I'm trying to get confortable riding switch, that going to be my focus the rest of the year. Hope to get a good progressive edge dialed in as well and get a W2W as well. We moved to a new place end of last year and I'm just getting to know other people on this part of the lake so hopefully I can get back in a groove.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Yeah, my friend could of just posted that he stuck a raley the first time out behind a boat. True but entirely misleading.

Just for reference. In my second season I spent nearly the whole summer trying to land a backroll. It's no exageration to say I threw over 200, as I calc approx the number times out and attempts per time. Just couldn't stick it as I was coming up a hair short on the rotation. This was behind an unweighted 1992 Ski Nautique with a pole. I was ready to give up and take a lesson when some guys with a weighted 2001 Nautique offered to pull me. Stuck 3 in a row.

So yeah to the guy asking if his boat/setup could be holding him back. I immediately went and got plenty of weight for my boat.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
Well damn! I have to defend Trio as I told him he should post. His riding and claim is legit and he seems to land something new every set. I've been riding for 15 years and have a pretty deep bag of tricks but I'm riding harder than ever because I don't want him to catch me.

Kiteboarding is NOT wakeboarding. It's a ton easier to stick inverts on a kite. Handle passes are another story behind a kite though and he's even getting spins down behind the boat.

Many of us come from a different board sport and already know the terms.
The question was "what can you do after your 1st season of wakeboarding?". He answered honestly.

BTW when I used to run a wakeboaed school I had a pro snowboarder come out one day. For his 1st set I had to teach him how to get up. By the end of the day he had 4 inverts under his belt.
Don't be hating because other people have more natural ability than you!
Old    PapaBProductions            07-27-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
w2w 360 and Mexican Roll after a million crashes
Here's my progression video:

www.CNLclothing.com
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-28-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustfarter View Post
Well damn! I have to defend Trio as I told him he should post. His riding and claim is legit and he seems to land something new every set. I've been riding for 15 years and have a pretty deep bag of tricks but I'm riding harder than ever because I don't want him to catch me.

Kiteboarding is NOT wakeboarding. It's a ton easier to stick inverts on a kite. Handle passes are another story behind a kite though and he's even getting spins down behind the boat.

Many of us come from a different board sport and already know the terms.
The question was "what can you do after your 1st season of wakeboarding?". He answered honestly.

BTW when I used to run a wakeboaed school I had a pro snowboarder come out one day. For his 1st set I had to teach him how to get up. By the end of the day he had 4 inverts under his belt.
Don't be hating because other people have more natural ability than you!
BLAH BLAH BLAH

We already gave him props and apologized for grilling him... the whole point was that a person who has "NO" board experience could not pull that off!
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-28-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
Where exactly does it say "no" board experience?? Don't be a dick.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-28-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
lol let the pissing contest begin. I agree tho, no where did it say No board experience. I am just getting W2W after a year...so...that is amazing that people can just naturally come out and ride. Although my daughter is 8 and she got up her first try on a surf board and skiis and rocked them both so I can see how some just have talent coming out their ears....she does.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
I think it goes without saying that if you are already throwing inverts on what's essentually a wakeboard before you get behind the boat, that it's an important point to mention. I'm pretty sure nobody would have called BS if that peice of info was included.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-28-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
IMO, skills in other sports can be applied to wakeboarding. I bet if Shaun White took a couple of sets behind a boat (which I am sure he has), within a few minutes he would begin throwing down some of the easier tricks he can do on a snowboard/skateboard, I mean I don't think he would instantly be throwing a 10 or a 12, but I think yall catch my drift. I was on the water before wakeboarding caught on (mid to late 80's and early 90's). My family were big into skiing (slalom) and kneeboarding. Well, this helped us tremendously when we tried wakeboarding, because we understood good edging technique and how it was crucial in wakeboarding.

Point is, coming from skateboarding, kiteboarding, etc. is going to be an easier transition, than say a person who was only playing football or baseball instead of any board sport.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
It's all in good fun here fellas! I'm stoked (to say the least) on my progress behind the boat. I am having a ton a fun with this sport. I just wish I would have gotten into it sooner! I personally think that all board sports help to build a base. I know that skateboarding helps my snowboarding and surfing out a ton. Then snowboarding & surf helped Kiteboarding and kiting helps Wake. As long as you are having fun and pushing yourself you have my respect. Too many times people are big talkers but when it comes waking up at 6am to hit the water they have an excuse. If you are charging it and passionate you are always welcome on my boat!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
The first time I rented a snowboard the guy asked me if I needed lessons. I told him no, I'm a wakeboarder. I then proceeded to destroy myself figuring it out.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-28-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
The first time I rented a snowboard the guy asked me if I needed lessons. I told him no, I'm a wakeboarder. I then proceeded to destroy myself figuring it out.
haha i know the feeling...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
WOW now tommy and stuart have let us in on more details. stuart said i used to run a wakeboard school and have 15 years of riding experience. so tommy was getting coached by a professional[someone who gets paid for what they know].tommy said i know skateboarding and surfing and snowboarding help my kiteboarding . wow thats a lifetime of boarding. the original post says what tricks could you do after YOUR FIRST SEASON[Winter ,spring,summer,fall]OF RIDING. IT THEN GOES ON TO MENTION WAKE.this young woman was trying to guage her progress to other first time wakeboarders. some posts were honest and in the spirit of the question. others left out some information. i give tommy his PROPS but have to ask STUART why didn't you post what you had accomplished your first season . my guess you are competitive and you had already seen hyperlites DREAM in the post. not that i doubt him.he's the man just ask him.all that being said EDEN i think you've done great your first season of riding without coaching.YOU GO GIRL!