Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (bonty88)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-20-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
I have a 1995 MB Sports Boss 210 that I have been pulling this summer with an 02 Explorer. I think the Explorer has a towing capacity of about 5,000 pounds. The manufacturer list the boat's weight at 2,700 pounds. I have no idea what the trailer weighs but it is a tandem axle trailer with drum brakes. Is this a good combination? Anyone else tow with an Explorer? I just don't want to do damage to the vehicle. The Honda Pilot post is what got me thinking about this.
Old    ilovetrains            08-21-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Figure your trailer at 900 lbs, add in about 500 for gas an gear and you have a down the road weight of close to 4K lbs.

I think you are OK with the Explorer. Is it the V8? That makes a difference.

Once again, you can pull almost anything with almost anything if you want to.

I have a friend who just traded his Explorer at the beginnning of the summer. He was flat towing a Jeep CJ. Total weight was less than your boat. Felt as if the CJ was pushign the rear end of the Explorer (note that when flat towing, the towed vehicle has no brakes, makes a huge difference.) He opted for 1/2 ton Silverado and was incredibly happy.

No matter what you tow with, make sure it is set up to tow. It should have an auxillary transmission cooler at a minimum. Also look for heavier fuses for flasher relays and I also recomend more aggresive brake pads and a power steering cooler.