Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-02-2007, 5:30 AM Reply   
I know there is a thread going on about how great Perfect Pass is but my question is is it worth it for an older boat with higher hours. I have a 1990 SunSport with almost 1200 hrs on it. It still runs great but I am only planning on keeping the boat for another 2 to 4 years until I can afford to upgrade to a v-drive. My wife has become a very good boat driver but sometimes has a little trouble holding speed. I know PP is the ultimate solution but will a new ACME prop give me a little more consistent speed? I can probably swing the $400 for a new prop this season but if I decided I wanted perfect pass I would need to save that money and probably get PP by the end of this season or the beginning of next season. What do you guys think?
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-02-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
i think most people add a new prop when they are running a lot of ballast/ people and are struggling to get out of the hole. Running these type of props will significantly increase your rpm's, reduce your top end speed and imo slightly improved the ability to keep the speed more consistent, since increased rpms would allow for greater rpm range control. Without PP, you really have to take everything into account when adjusting for speed. Sound, rpms, speedos, water depth, even the spray off side of the boat can help. I think ones riding ability also has a lot to do with your need for PP. I dont think its so important for beginners, however the intermediate and advanced rider who need a very consistent run, say 23.8 mph, and they know when its not, can really take their riding to the next level with PP. PP has saved many a relationships, and its a lot safer imo. You dont have to concentrate on speed so much and can spend more time paying attention to your surroundings. also, when your wife isn't available and your not so boat friendly buddy has to pull you, you can set it and forget it. I will never own another boat without it. GL
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-02-2007, 6:16 AM Reply   
There is an alternative to $1100 PP Wakeboard Pro. Before Wakeboard Pro came out there used to be a system called Wakeboard Cruise that was speed based just like Wakeboard Pro. When WBP came out they stopped offering WBC. They still offer a Cruise system, but it's now based on RPM which is better for skiing than wakeboarding.

The old Wakeboard Cruise works just like a cruise control system in you car. You get the boat up to speed and then engage the system. The system will remeber the last speed set even after you throttle down, just like WBP does. The big difference between WBC and WBP is that you don't get a digital display with the Cruise system that allows you to set the speed before you start.

As I said, they stopped offering the speed based cruise system a few years back. However, if you contact Perfect Pass and ask them for it they will sell you one. I just bought one last week directly from Perfect Pass for $695 shipped. That will be about twice the price as a new prop, but it will suffice if you can't spend the $1100 for WBP.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-02-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
Does the Wakeboard cruise have a paddle wheel or is it RPM based? I have heard that the RPM based cruise controls dont maintain speed as well but I have never used one so I cant say for sure. If the cruise works just as well as the Pro just without all of the bells and whistles I would definatly go with that instead of a new prop.

(Message edited by maxx_wake on February 02, 2007)
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-02-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
Chris check your email

(Message edited by ldr on February 02, 2007)
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-02-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
My boat did not have PP for years then I added it on and what a difference. I agree it is a relationship saver. I would add that on before I added the prop. I had a prop re-pitched and it works a lot better with the extra weight. I think the cost to re-pitch was around $ 150. I won't own a boat without PP.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-02-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
Chris, the Wakeboard Cruise that I mentioned above runs off of a paddle wheel. The regular cruise (RPM version) does not.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-02-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
Richard, sorry for the redundant question. I didnt read your post close enough the first time. That definately sounds interesting.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-02-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
I would just like to say that I'm an excellent boat driver, and I only have trouble holding speed when there are distractions like dogs about to fall out of the boat or pretty houses along the shore! :-)

We can't afford PP right now because we are buying our first house...but if my husband is patient, he would probably get it eventually...I've never said "NO" to getting anything for the boat yet... :-)

Sorry if I embarrased you babe, guess you have to come up with a new password...haha:-)
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-02-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
But please keep up with the ideas guys...if there are cheaper alternatives we could definitely use them!!

-The wifey
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-02-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
haha, I really need to stop using the same password for everything.
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-02-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Both Items will make life alot easier!
I did the perfect pass wakeboard pro first on our 19' Searay with 5.0L when we were running a 3-blade 19p S.S.prop.
Then we got a 17p Hi-five Mercruiser prop, it made getting out of the hole and maintaining speed way easier with and with-out balast.
Check out E-bay for new and used Hi-five props.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-02-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
So would it be very beneficial and work for me to put that speed control on my '89 nautique? I missed how that works, no paddle wheel, no pipots involved? How does it control the speed, would I still have to cut into the bottom of my boat for some thing? Sorry if I missed all that.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-02-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
I took off the pipots on my boat and only use RPM for speed when boarding. Is this cruise control thing easy to install and how well does it hold the speed. Being around 220 when I cut in to the wake the boat slows and some drivers have a difficult time getting up to speed for my next cut at the wake. Would this cruise help get up to speed before my next cut in? I think I saw it on another site for a similar $695 but never heard of anybody having one. Thanks for all the info so far, I would love to hear more about it. Thanks
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-02-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
There is a perfect pass wakeboard pro on ebay that was taken out of a damaged Sea Doo boat. They said it would need a through hull fitting but works fine. Would this work for my '89 nautique or would I have to also get some kind of adapters for it to work. Or are there any other problems I would run into. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-03-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
There's also a thread about a San Fran PP for sale for $500. If you can get it for that I would jump on it.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-03-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
The evilone is right! $500.00 to save your marriage you've got to be kidding.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-04-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
And at a max of $200 more then a prop, there's no reason to wait.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-05-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
Well I went 0 for 2 trying to get the ebay and San Fran PP so I am back to square one.
Old    ejojprop            02-05-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Chris,

What size propeller are you running now?

Eric @ OJ PROPS
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-05-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Honestly, I am not sure what size my prop is. I have been meaning to get under there and look but my boat is being stored 3 and 1/2 hours away right now so I havent had the chance. I know it is a three blade but that is all I am sure about. I ran it last summer with around 800 lbs of ballast and usually around 4 people in the boat and it never really had a problem getting out of the hole but this year I am planning on adding more ballast to a total of 1200 to 1300 lbs. One of the biggest reasons for wanting a new prop is just to have a spare in case I hit something. I figure I could get a nice new prop and use my current one as a spare.