Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old    110outlet            08-27-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
I was just wondering if any buddy had any ideas for a building up to a batwing. Ive tired different cuts and in to the flats toeside, and all sorts of poked out grabs to get comfy in the air but i cant seem to figure out how to get the board up and out. Id prefer to get the board vertical but im wondering if going out the back may be better. I have a strong raley so i understand powering through the wake vs poping and snaping out the back. I hate nose diving bails on toeside so im trying to figure out a better way then yard sailing but im thinking thats what i may have to do. Any ideas would be great or what worked for other people.
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-27-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
Hey Jason check out the video on here with Dereck grassman and Dave Brisco teaching the batwing. Really helped me. Ive been riding for a long time-11 years and just learnded the batwing, and ive been doing raleys krypts and hoochies regular and switch for 7 years, just to show you the instuction they give was the only reason i landed this trick. Watch chin shots though, be sure not to crush on the landings or you'll end up with stitches in the chin like I did. Check it out and the best of luck to you Jason!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-27-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
where is that video located? I can't get my batwings either
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
You had any bad falls trying them Jason?? Nicola took the most sickening crash just after she learnt them. Knocked herself senseless. Ended up in the emergency room.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-27-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
I heard letting half cabs drift out are a good way to lean the general feel and how to pull them back down but im sure most of the confusion on this trick comes from the take off so i don't know if thats much help.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-27-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
I have taken a few bad falls digging my nose into the water when landing, but nothing too bad yet. I took a break from trying them because I got sick of not getting any closer to landing so I started throwing Nose grab front to fakies and I'm almost riding away from them. I just keep popping the handle when I land. But once I start landing the front to fakie, I want to go back to learning the batwing.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-27-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
i knocked my front tooth out tryin to learn this freakin trick 8 years ago and havent really tried since. i have a mind block on it. i know how i need to cut but cant get myself to do it. hahaha. maybe ill check out that vid
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
Come in just like you would on a scarecrow, maybe even sit a little lower.. Weight your back foot so that you can wait on it and pop at the very top of the wake.. I used to continue my front foot away from the boat at the top of the wake to initiate, but it will put way too much tension on your arm and it is unnecessary.... Just get really good pop and make sure you have continuous line tension all the way into the air, just lean into it a little bit.

Here is a video of my second day doing the trick... now i do them much better... Im thinking more about doing a really big ts indy that is grabbed first, then poked out... thats the mentality lately at least..

Hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLz17MWzSPs
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
I dont know if this will help anyone but for me I learned by cutting out really wide and taking a very PROGRESSIVE cut to the wake. Basically building up speed and momentum as you cut into the wake. This should help give you the whip your looking for. By leaning away from the boat heavy on your back foot and gaining speed like this should help get the board up and out behind you. You just gotta be sure your lead arm is strong enough to pull yourself back in.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
And dont pop too early YOU WILL DIE (just kidding not really maybe a concussion though) Just dig your edge in all the way through the top of the wake before you let the momentum whip the board out. Thats the key to the pop. The key to getting it out behind you is like i said before. The progressive cut
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
Curt.that is exactly how Nicola does them. I don't know if they are as big because I cannot see where you are landing in relation to the wake? Hers seem so rushed as well??
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-27-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
I think they do look sorta rushed when you have the technique down, the board gets up and back down real quick.
Old    110outlet            08-28-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Curt your video was great, i watched your approach and technique. Gonna give it a shot this afternoon.
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-28-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
a good way to start is try and do ts indy grabs w2w and poke your back foot out. it will kind of give you the feel of line tension and make you more aware in the air. You can then go at your own pace of letting the board out behind you.