Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    murrayair            08-06-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
What's with the announcers at the X games? I mean, was I the only person screaming "That's not a whirly 5, you idiot!"? That Doug guy really got on my nerves too, calling Daniel Watkins "Danny" and Josh Sanders "Joshy" like every two seconds. I almost went insane with Barton calling every single 540 a "turn and a half". Why can't they just call it a 5 or a 540? And on Watkins' first slider- a simple 50 50- they were like "Wow! some superb sliding from Watkins!". There were like a million other things that were just dumb too. I think it's time ESPN got some new announcers for our sport.
Old    7ftdubup            08-06-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
no, i was thinking that too. Was that so called TS whirly 5 a skeezer 5 or a big worm.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
thats the main reason why i really dislike it. they dont know freakin anything
Old    sparky68            08-06-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
Did anybody catch on when they did the Dallas interview. She mentioned she had already won her third gold and had not even done her run yet.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-06-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
Mark (and others),

The announcers they have there are the best in the business. Jeff Barton's been involved in the sport of wakeboarding longer than nearly everyone else on this board. He knows the tricks. It's his job to announce with intensity, and make it seem exciting... mainly for people watching who have no clue about this sport. Say Joe Sixpack is channel surfing and lands on Wakeboarding, live from the X-Games... a turn and a half makes a lot more sense than a 540, if you're not familiar with spins or feel like thinking.

With Watkins' slide.. what would you prefer him to say? "What a weak slide!" No... he has to stay positive and engaging the whole time...that's his job.

Sparky,

As for Dallas mentioning her third gold before her run... well, it was true. She just won her FOURTH gold...had 3 golds going into it.

Mike
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-06-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
What you gotta call me "Joe sixpack"? I know you're not referring to my pristine abs! Lol! Did you go Mike?
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-06-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
Hahn,

Yeah just got back to SB. Didn't feel like stayin for the other stuff. I was in the towboat today, so chances are, I was on TV at some point... heh.

Hahn, about your abs... well... a keg is better than a sixpack.

The new WBM just hit my doorstep today. Looks good! You'll be stoked.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-06-2005, 5:13 PM Reply   
Man I didn't get mine yet?
Old     (barry_vaught)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-06-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
Hey Mike & Hahn
Wish I could have been there. Jeff Barton is a great asset to wakeboarding. Harf's 900 looked awsome on the screen. Can't wait to see your shots Mike. Are you guys coming to the Pan American Games next month?
Barry
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-06-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
Jeff Barton is the best announcer in the business and without him, the wakeboarding scene wouldn't be where it is today.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-06-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
i thought the announcing was OK but really if you werent stoked on the jaw dropping riding being thrown down this year then you were way to focused on words ..this was the greatest overall riding by the whole field ive seen ,EVER..

I wasnt there but i have it saved on Tivo and ive got to say i was very impressed with the huge tricks being thrown down and i could feel the competitiveness and anticipation these riders had waiting on the dock waiting to ride watching the riders before them ..it was great ..

thats all that matters to me great riding being thrown down on TV for me to watch... :-)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-06-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
meh, the funny thing is that doug dunbar has been commentating for wakeboarding since 1996. As for jeff, he knows his wake to wake stuff, so I can't really complain in that department. Kind of like mike said, I'm sure he was breaking some of the tricks down into laymans terms. A lot of tricks happen faster on a wakeboard than they do on a snowboard (less air time), so perhaps they feel that this sort of break down is necessary at this point in time. Whatever.

I don't know, I can't remember enough to complain. but it was nice to see danny win...i don't know why, but it made me happy and I love the healthy support he has from his parents.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-06-2005, 9:26 PM Reply   
i didnt watch much, but he did call philip's whirly-dick a whirly 7. i can understand the mix up, and he was very quick to correct himself when the slow-mo replay came back up at the end of the run. he even broke it down and explained the trick. this was the first time ive ever watched a comp on tv so i cant really compare it to anything, but i think the announcing was just fine. the tv crew did a good job as well.
Old    sparky68            08-06-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
Mike I hear you. I just thought I heard mention of the threepeet. I new she already had three going in!!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-06-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
I really liked "The History of the 1080" segment, that showed all the guys attempting the 1080 on video. It was awesome to see Soven's attempt in real time.
Old    penny4urthots            08-07-2005, 2:10 AM Reply   
espn coverage=kookville

call me bitter, I know I am...
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-08-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
JB has a lot of energy and is always upbeat. Even when you meet him or ride with him...his attitude is positive, positive, positive!

Just be happy it got the airtime that it did!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-08-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
So inthusiasm trumps accuracy??? BS!!!

I thought the announcing was average at best.

According to Mike, Barton just got grandfathered into the postition.
And no, I can't do any better, but I could find someone that can. And yes, I am glad it did get covered.

Old    griffdizzle            08-08-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
I do not like Jeff Barton at all. I am aware that he has been in the business since it started but why does that make him so great?? You can call him the best announcer in our sport if you want but thats because he is the ONLY announcer in the sport. He definately knows what he is talking about but his over enthusiasm makes the sport seem cheesy. He sounds like an old teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon, "WOW!" "HOLY COW" he gets way to excited over average tricks. No, he does not need to call the tricks weak but do you see any other announcers for other sports going crazy over small tricks? No they just simply announce what it was. he could say something like "nice little 50-50 over the rail" in watkins case. His voice is not appealing and is mockingly imitated by many of the people who listen to him. I am not taking anything away from his credibility and knowledge of the sport but a good announcer he is not.

Its called a helmet not a "brain bucket"!!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-08-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
Ditto what bill montanye said!

I only watched the prelim's on Friday via my computer (out riding on Saturday and totally forgot), but damn the riding was phenomenal and you could feel the energy and I didn't even have sound! The guys were amped up. Congrats to Harf for charging it hard and taking gold.

As for the announcing...I think those close to the sport are naturally critical, but it's a difficult task. Like someone else mentioned, tricks happen quickly and sometimes they throw in an extra 180 or switch it up and it gets even harder.

However, the "turn and a half" saying kind of perplexes me. I watched a lot of the skate and bmx vert and they call a 540 just that - it's the same audience for the most part.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-08-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
As a fellow announcer I can tell you that it hard as hell to see it all and figure each trick while it is happening. Without looking at everything slow motion, it is hard to tell the difference between whirly 7 and a whirly dick on the fly. JB is the best announcer of the sport, but more importantly a fellow wakeboarder(ranked like 2nd or 3rd in the world in his class the last few years) and a great promoter of the sport. Also any coverage is good even if he misses calling a trick from time to time. He has to break it down for the masses.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
ok the announcing wasn't so bad....besides i was focusing on the riding....not picking apart some guy's commentary. who cares....as long as you knew what was thrown.

ANYWAYS, IT PISSES ME OFF THAT THEY GIVE THE "HISTORY" OF THE 1080 AND NO MENTION OF MARK KENNEY!!!! HE HAD LANDED A FEW OF THEM AND DEFINITELY DESERVES CREDIT!!!! MIKE FERRARO DEFINITELY WOULD BACK THIS UP AS HE DID IN WAKEBOARD MAGAZINE!

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on August 08, 2005)
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-08-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
I agree, that Barton guy is a dick!

OK, while not attempting to be all things to all people, I can shed a little light on the "turn and a half" comments and using words other than the trick name to describe them. The ESPN people wanted us to use terms that the average person would understand. As they'd tell you, a "backside Pete Rose" is lost on anyone not in the know.

While I will not defend my style of delivery as you can't please all the people all the time, I definitely had to approach announcing this as though it were an introductory explanation of moves to random people who were channel surfing. IN essance, it was delivering less to the core wakeboard audience while hopefully giving a better understanding of the actual moves to the broad audience.

I also have to agree with Alex that the enthusiasm was a little over the top. Again, it was in a effort to convey importance to the layman viewer who was not as tuned into wakeboarding as we are. I definitely read these lists and to improve my delivery and info based upon criticisms in here. From a decade's worth of internet postings and interaction with many wakeboarders, I've certainly heard plenty about things that needed to be improved.

And finally, I also agree with Nathan that a good citation in the 1080 segment of Mark Kenney would have been appropriate. I have heard from Mike and even from Mark himself about making one (actaully 2), but again it comes down to definitive proof. They had the shots of Parks landing the one so that's all they wanted cited. They place an HUGE importance to research and proof, and while I believe Kenney did it (as do most others who've heard he stuck them) they would not clear a hearsay citation on something they were promoting so heavily.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-08-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
jeff, you're a dick!!!

jk man! great meeting you finally.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
JB has more skills and a better understanding of wakeboarding than all but a small percentage of hardcore riders. He is also an enthuisiastic yet eloquent speaker who cares about promoting our sport. That is a rare combination. I have rarely heard JB call the wrong trick and I think he does a great job. All the critics out there need to remember that JB is on our side and he has been constantly pushing to get maximum exposure for our sport. If you don't like the way he's doing it, provide some constructive criticism. He's not just some guy in ESPN land that isn't listening.
Old    martini            08-08-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
i'm pleased to see JB posted a retort! he has the hardest job in the sport...it's not easy to please the people who produce the event. trust me, they have a very pin pointed way of doing things.. i'm proud JB is the guy! he deserves it...
Its good for him and us, that his mind set was more for the average joe. without the average household tunning in to see wake @ X we would'nt even have an event for him to commentate...

the job he does is far harder than you could ever imagine...you have to be ready to go when the director tells you so...not on your time! so much goes into it, i don't even now what to say...except great job JB!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-08-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Who is Jeff Barton?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-08-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments JB! What other sport can you have the commentators come and explain things to ya personally? I thought you did a great job, and thanks !
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-08-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
JB is a mench! One of the best guys I have met on tour. Although every time I gamble with the guy I lose my shorts, he still is one of my favorite guys to hang with and play cards with when on the road.

(Message edited by solo on August 08, 2005)
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-08-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
JB,
Great job as always! It's been a while since I've seen you but it looks like you're doing well. Hope to see you at Nationals in a couple of weeks. I'm actually going to be in Milwaukee for 2 weeks for a training camp with my speedskating team.

Aloha
Old    murrayair            08-09-2005, 1:56 AM Reply   
Jeff- I am happy that you posted a reply to this thread. It still doesn't improve my opinion of your style of announcing, but I thank you for explaining your point of view. My post was not meant as an attack on you personally- I'm sure you're a great guy- but on your commentary.

I am happy that the sport got the air time it did, but I just think some things can be improved on. Listen to the way Tony Hawk announces for skateboarding. Very fluid, not too exited but not boring, and the guy nails every single trick. It really draws you in. Murray does the same thing with his announcing at wakeboarding comps. I would love to see him announce some more.
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-09-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Mark,

No offense taken whatsoever. Like I mentioned, I read this list all the time in an effort ot gain useful information, whether it's about me or not. I think it's great that people are speaking up about the sport they love and want to see it in a positive light. I've done my fair share over the years and am in full support of others doing it as well.

It's like that fine line between criticism and activism. It easy easy for a person to be a critic, sitting back and judging negatively without being a catalyst for change. But anyone who posts a topic here on wakeworld, at the very least, has an opinion that they want to share with the general public, and thus can create a forum for dialouge. It's a form of activism. It's those who privately bitch and moan who aren't doing anything but bitching and moaning.

Wakeworld provides such a HUGE service to the wakeboarding community in this area. It does so much more than just being a discussion board, but as you can see it allows people at all different levels of the industry to interact on a common level. You may not see all high level industry people posting, but I assure you each and every company affiliated with the wakeboarding industry has people who are regulars vistors here on wakeworld.

And you're right about Murray; he is an awesome announcer, as is Nich Weinaker. I think (I know, actually) both are going to get more prominent opportunities to showcase their skills in the years to come. While I am confident in my talents, one thing I can bnever do is present a first person account from the perspective of a top level rider who could be out on that starting dock at any contest on the Pro Tour or anywhere else. Plus Murray is such a friggin character that he could be his own show all by himself! They are both great minds with solid verbal skills that deserve their chance to be in front of the camera.

Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-09-2005, 7:27 AM Reply   
JB, you are a stand up guy!

Get you back for that $20
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-09-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
WOW.

I gave a double take when I saw Jeff's name. What a small world! It's awesome that you would take the time to post.

Like Mark said, nothing personal with my comments either. My buddies and I watched most of the coverage and compared to the rest of the sports, the wakeboarding events seemed to be an after thought.
My biggest beef with any announcing in general is listening to someone that sounds like "Good Ole JR" on Monday Night Raw. You know the kind of announcing were you never see the announcer but you suspect his mic is covered in spit after the event is over.

I love listening to the replay of Tony's 900. That deserved and recieved the proper excitement. Sometimes announcers just cry wolf. A 50/50 on a slider doesnt warrent the excitement of a 1080.

Just and honest man's opinion though.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-09-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
I didnt see the x-games this year, but remember from watching it last year and being at the ft worth pro stop last year, I must've heard the phrase (and variations of it) "with great risks equals great rewards" 1000 times. I don't know if that's your thing Jeff or someone elses, but the quote was overused. a lot. a whole lot.

Just start talking about 6 legged turkeys if you need something to fill a silence gap. It always works for that other big announcer, old what's his name.
Old    r_dub            08-09-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff you could take some tips from John Madden. Couldnt you just hear this

"Now you see, if you want to win the event, you have to do the hard tricks. Because the hard tricks score more points. And your not going to win the event if you dont score more points then the other riders. And if you land the hard tricks, now those scrore a lot of points because you didnt fall. And since ahhhhh since you didnt fall, they then award you with a high scrore because ahhhh those tricks are hard".