Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-05-2007, 1:09 AM Reply   
Before I take my boat to the shop, I thought I would throw this out here in case someone else has had the same issue.

The last 2 times I had my boat out, I have had a problem with the PP (WB digital Pro, I believe). I set the desired speed, and when it reaches the speed, I get the beep. Problem is that it does not keep at that speed. Pretty much drives just like the PP is not on. Not just 1-2 mph variance, but like I said, pretty much like it is not on. I have put over 500 hours on my boat, and used the PP pretty much the entire time, so I do know how it works, etc. There is definately something not right. I looked at the cable/actuator in the engine area, but could not find anything out of place. I will look at it more and see if there is anything I missed.

Any ideas? Hopefully something simple. SUCKS not having it working. Got pretty spoiled over the years.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-05-2007, 4:30 AM Reply   
Did you try tightening the knob on the module that is back under the engine hatch? If that black knob is not tight and there is slack in the cable, it will not hold speed correctly.
Old     (zeus12)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-05-2007, 5:59 AM Reply   
i believe you have to turn it clockwise and it will tighten the throttle cable up. You dont want any gaps in between where the pp cable ties into the back of your boats throttle cable.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-05-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Sounds like you need to adjust some of your settings in the menu. Take a look at your owners manual and determine which setting you need to adjust.

http://www.perfectpass.com/download/usersmanuals/DBW.DIGITALPRO.USERMANUAL6.5Ng.Dec2005.pdf

(Message edited by nauty on March 05, 2007)
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-05-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
Check the paddel wheel guard. The guard will get smashed by the traler bunks and the paddle wheel will stick. You should be able to pry it a part with a small screw driver. Check every time you load your boat on the trailer that you're strieght on.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-05-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Can you be more specific about what the speed is doing? Is the speed oscillating? Changing from too fast to too slow back and forth? That could be a weight/balance issue, where the boat cannot remain on plane. Or is the speed is dropping off (to what speed?), and not recovering at all?
Old     (sanguine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-05-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
I had a similar problem with mine. Turned out the throttle cable was stuck under the decorative engine cover. Took it out, put the cover back on, works like a charm.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-06-2007, 3:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses. I am going to take a closer look at it tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious. Looked at it on the lake briefly the other day, and as far as I could tell, the cable/connectors were all intact. I understand there is some type of self-test in the manual where it activates the servo, something like that. Guess I will read up on it and see if I can figure it out.

Greg W,

As far as the paddlewheel, I will take a look just to make sure, but I am assuming it is working correctly since the digital speed on the PP seems to be working properly.

Toneus,

It is not holding speed at all. It beeps where it is suppose to lock in, but will just ride at whatever speed you have the throttle at. Basically, if it was not for the audible beep, I would think it was not even turned on. Pretty much does nothing.

Like I said, I will take a closerr look, and check whatever I can with it on the trailer. I would like to do it on the water, with the engine running, but our lakes are FREEKIN' CLOSED most the week!

Thanks again for the responses. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Buzz
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-12-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
i had a weird problem with my 06 digital pp wakeboard pro. work fine when i got the boat, but started acting weird over time, wouldnt engage, huge surging, etc. turns out a ground wire was switched. they rewired and reset and i tested last weekend and it works great now. buddy with an 06 tige said he had the same problem is how i knew to tell the dealer to check it.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-12-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
I would guess that is that knob on the servo. The set screws will come loose occasionally so the the shaft just spins freely inside the knob.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-12-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
Buzz, it doesn't need to be on the water to test it. I had the exact same problem with mine last year. Turn the ignition off and turn the black knob on the servo motor so the cable is loose. Turn the ignition on the servo motor should tighten the cable. If it doesn't or you can't turn the knob by hand you need a new servo motor. I think it was right around $100 from Perfect Pass.

edit-here's the full trouble shooting section on it from PP
http://www.perfectpass.com/troubleshooting/perfectpassservormotortest.pdf

(Message edited by ridininmd on March 12, 2007)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-13-2007, 3:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the good info. Now I just need to get out there and check it out. SUCKS riding without it
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-13-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
Buzz...I had the same exact prob w/ mine and it was like what others have already said - seized servo. Eric Webb posted something before about using some liquid wrench to get it loose but that didn't work for me. I ordered one from PP for about 130 bucks.

I don't think it's just the set screw on the servo knob...if it comes loose, you won't be able to throttle at all (this also happended to me ).
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-13-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Thanks. Hopefully check it out later today. Hmmm...wonder if it is still under warranty? (Just over 2 years old). Probably not. Gonna call and see.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-14-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
Hey Buzz your problems sound just like mine. I've replaced my PP unit and servo. This didn't do anything. However, I find that running in RPM mode works the best...speed mode = crap in my boat. Some times is works and other times is will cut the throttle in the middle of pulling a rider.
Old     (gabriel63)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-14-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
one time my pp was acting up so all i did was reseted and everything was fine.