Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-26-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
any pics, or comments on the wake behind these bad boys?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
which one?
Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-26-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
the avalanche or cyclone
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-26-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
The cyclone/eclipse wake is on the vertical side. Not quite as steep and abrupt as a Nauti210 but close. The boat responds fairly well to weight. I usually ran 1200-1500 + 2-4 people and it kicked up a decent size wake. The wake can be a on the touchy side with weight placement though, but it cleaned up when you got it set. The surf wave was excellent.

Upload
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-26-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
Not trying to offend anybody but Centurions wakes are....not up to par. Centurions are for the people who just want to have a cool LOOKING boat and do some recreational wakeboarding. they are not a smooth as a Mastercraft, Nautique or Malibu(top 3)they are popular cause the are more affordable than alot of boats....and for a reason. I used to sell them for a minute. the only time I would sell one is if somebody asked for it. I wouldnt reccomend it for a serious or semi serious wakeboarder. just my .02

(Message edited by riverratboarder on August 26, 2008)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
I have to agree with Mike on this one, but my only experience is on an Air Warrior hull. Horrible. Sorry to my friends that own them.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-26-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
get an older nautique. 1994-1997 super sport's are the same hull shapes as the 1999-2006. save money, get a sick wake.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
I've been on a few C4's. Both of them have nasty port side wash. You will find tons of complaints about them in the boats/access thread. IMO, the wake is not clean.
Old    mendo247            08-26-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Here are a couple threads I found in a quick search. I think Mike summed it up pretty good. They are great boats but if you are buying a boat with the sole purpose of throwing a great wake id look for something else. You can dial them in but IMO you shouldnt have to fight a boat to throw an even wake.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/606724.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/596982.html
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Yep, Mike hit it on the head. It is more for recreational riders. Which , by the way, accounts for what, 75-80% of us. Although there are pros who use them. Demo one and see if it is worth the extra jack for one of the big three. It wasn't to me, but we're are not pros, just recreational riders who are looking good with the extra cash for gas. True, you do have to dial the wake in by asking one of the crew to slide over a foot or so. But once they do, it can throw a very good wake.
Old    jahgs06            08-26-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
I'll put my 2000 centurion eclipse V-Drive against any wakeboard boat with the same weight I run and speed and rope length and you will truly be amazed with how big the wake is and solid. I have many good riders ride behind it and all they can say is that wake is massive. All boats are good you just need to know how to weight them to achieve the best possible wake. Just my .02 . And riverratboarder if you want I would love for you to ride behind my boat, you will have a totally different attitude about it once you rode behind it.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-26-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
if you're looking for a kick-ass wake check out the '09 V-Ride that Malibu's puttin out. its the old 21'lsv hull. one of the best wake makin hulls of all time IMO. i think their entry level boat is going to be better than Centurions top boat.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-26-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
jeff, did you sell your boat yet? saw it in the classifieds, not a bad lookin rig, would love to see some pics of the wake...
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-26-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Stop guys!!! I really think that every v-drive can have a great wake if you put enough weight in the right spots!!! Sometime, you need to change the propeller but it's not a big deal! We ride behind a Session Si with 2500 lbs of ballast well placed and the wake is awesome!!! I rode behind Malibu and Mastercraft boats and our wake it's much, much, much better!!!! A lot of weight well placed!!!! That's it!!! The difference between our boat and the rest is the price and the options!!! For my part, I really don't care of the rack or the seats when I'm 75' behind!!!! Upload
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-26-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine has a 2003 Avalanche C4 and we weighted it just like I have weighted other brand boats and the wake was clean on both sides and a perfect shape and size. His did not wash on one side at all.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-26-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
Wow, I'm actually suprised by some of the comments on this thread. I've ridden behind a lot of different boats, including BU's, SAN's, Supra's, and MC's, and I'd have to say a well weighted Centurion will throw one just as large as an X Star with full factory and the extra bags on top. The main difference is the shape.

For example:
Upload

This is a shot of a 2000 Centurion Eclipse V-drive. The rider is around 5'10 or so, at 80 feet and 25MPH. We had roughly 2300 in water and 9 in the boat. It was a little washed out that day as we were a little heavy on the starboard side, but normally it is nice and clean.

On the note of it being tempermental, what wake isn't? A lot of the boats I've been on had some type of auxilery weighting which could be moved by the driver to clean the wake up, usally in the neighborhood of 80-100 lbs, this way they wouldn't have to ask people to move, but rather slide a pop bag from against the port side to next to their seat.

IMO, you won't go wrong with a Centurion wake. To those who argue the wakes are not up to snuff, you need to go watch some photage from when wakeboarding was just starting up. Non weighted DD's w/o towers and guys throwing things most of us won't attempt (Shapiro, Byerly, and Gator just to name a few). Granted those guys were far better back then than I will probably ever be, but as to the comment on the wake not being a pro-level wake, I think it speaks for it's self. We actually ride with a few guys who have MC's and Nautiques but won't even attempt their normal bag of tricks becaue the wake is too big, and that's with less weight then they normally run in their rigs (we know, we installed their ballast system).

As far as the surf wake goes, I don't know nearly as much about the different boats in that department. All I know is I'd rather be out behind the Centurion than an 08 Supra Worlds, even with extra sacs. But those are the only boats I can speak for in the surf department.

My $.02 (actually probably $.05, that got rather long)

(Message edited by dirwoody on August 26, 2008)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-26-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
Fred, that's not true with all brands of V-Drive boats, but I do agree that the Sessions, loaded with some sacs put out a GREAT wake.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-26-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
I ride behind an Avalanche quite regularly... we run 350s in the rear, no stock rear ballast, the center hard tank and an additional 250 in the front... wake is fine, pretty big... I like the stock wake as well with just the hard tanks full, never had a problem...
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-26-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
on my profile pic, 50% of our ballast with the driver alone! The wake is little compare with all ballast!!!! One of my friend said that the shape looks like Air 220!!! I never tried one!
Old    jahgs06            08-26-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
Derek, no I have not sold yet the market is not very good for the used boat sellers, though it is good for someone buying a used boat, plenty to choose from. I will post some pictures of the wake when we are wakeboarding and some pictures of the wake when we surf, I know everyone has their favorite brand to me they all cost money some how and in some way. BOAT-- stands for Bring On Another Thousand!! Darrin nice post!! We need to hit it up again this week to post some pictures on here.
Old    jahgs06            08-26-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Darin, We really need to get more pictures, your gonna wear that one of Pete out.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
Just goes to show you, everyone has their own idea of what a "big wake" really is. Back in the day I was happy riding behind the ol' Air Warrior. I guess I'm just spoiled now.

Sorry Darin, but that wake doesn't look great to me.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-26-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
ya me either its super curled over. Its entertaining how people compare thier wakes to other brands cant we just all accept what we have and not try to make them something thier not. My wake is mackin with the weight we run but its not a 220 wake or a star wake. Its a sanger wake. the shape is made by the hull design not throwing a ton of weight in it.

my boy has a sante 220 he only runs stock weight the one time i talked him into letting me bring my sacks we ran 3k total and he was getting. booted and scared so we drained them. When we ride in mine we run at least 2500 and he loves it the shape is differant but not as big as his.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
I ride mostly behind an Avalanche C4 and have for the last three seasons. I run the stock three tank ballast plus about 600 extra throughout the boat. The wake is pretty steep and has some boot, but I like it. I have ridden behind a long list of boats and none of them have been the same. I think they all have certain pros and cons if you want to get critical. Bottom line is that you'll get used to whatever you ride behind most and you'll be partial to it. I don't know if I answered your question or not.....hope it helped.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-26-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
That pic of the wake really isn't that great, I'll get a better one next time out, but I agree, it was really curled over that day. It reminded me of a SAN wake with the BU lip on it. The wake plate has since been moved and it's different.

I agree, each brand has a different wake, all in varring shapes. I'm just happy I get to ride behind something which throws something bigger than what I started on (17.5 foot sea ray). I'm never one to gripe about the size, shape, firmness, or anything else about a wake, I'm just trying to convey that those boats can throw a great wake.
Old    popwar4207            08-27-2008, 5:28 AM Reply   
I have on 04 Cyclone so I am not sure if the hull is different from the 03, but from my experience Centurion wake and rope length and boat speed are pretty hard to get dialed in. It definitely took me and my family awhile. For best results we now use the stock ballast plus 8 or 9 people, ride at 80 ft. and go 24.7 mph. To get rid of the port-side wash without having to shave any fins, put an extra person over there or if it has it, use the wakeplate. Just my 3 cents.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-27-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
Centurions will make good wakes. I think the people that dis them are those that haven't been in boats that have had the wakes 'tuned'. Having been in most of the major brands, Centurions require more effort to get a clean, firm, decent sized wake than other brands, but once you figure it out, I would put the quality of the wake up there with other brands. It seems it is very difficult to get the wake right on some units and have seen posts of very frustrated people. On both Centruions that I have owned, there is a persistent secondary lip on the starbord side that is very difficult to correct, but it can be corrected. Yeah all boats require you to think about weight placement, but you have to be more precise in these Centurions compared to most other brands. It helps to have mobile ballast when you ride, ie. people that do not mind sitting exactly where you ask them. The shape is a personal preference thing and if you do not already have your 'favorite' shape, you like what you get used to.

On the flip side, I will say that to get a high quality surf wave, it is easier to set up in these older Centurions than any other boat I have been on.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
I have some experience riding behind a weighted Avalanche and was not impressed. It sounds like some of you have had luck making the wake clean by shifting weight, etc.

One misconception that seems to be occurring in this thread is that bigger is better with wakes. You can sink any boat and get a huge wake, but it's how the wake is shaped and how firm it is when you do it. You can have a waist high wake, but if it's rolling over, who cares.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-27-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
Not at all impressed with the Air Warrior. Small wake, and the boat starts to porpoise (bounce up and down) getting progressively worse and worse even on glassy water.
Old     (justin24)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-28-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
I see alot of people with their hattershades on
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-28-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
I love the wake on my 2002 Hurricane. Narrow beam makes it rampy, even with no weight. Now for a professional, it might not be up to par. It is still a really fun wake to play on.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I thought i was done with this post but I cant help think people are in denial about centurion wakes being crappy. Obviously if you own one you dont want to think you wakes sucks. But the truth of the matter is they do. They are washed out, never even, the shape sucks and the boat isnt smooth. Most centurion have weak mercruiser motors which are better for inboard/outboard boats. A couple of friends had them and we all preffered to leave them at home (even the owners) if we could ride behind an MC or Nati. Maybe someone should start a support group for guys who have Centurions. Yes some centurions are better than others but none compare to classic wakes like the San 210(super sport) MC 205(current x-2), Malibu lsv. But I am a guy who doesnt find it fun to ride behind anything less than 5 Sacks(2500lbs). Once you go big, you cant go back.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
I ride behind a lightning on occasion. We haven't been able to seem to get both sides of the wake clean at once, but not usually running alot of weight either. Every time the rider crosses the wake, people in the boat shift to that side to clean it up. Still have a blast though! With lots of weight we could probably get it figured out I think?
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
P.S. Byerly, Shapiro, Gator ect.... never rode behind centurions. They Were Natique Super Sports. Find me a video with a Centurion in it!!!!
Old     (deltamud)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
I own a Centurion,2002 Hurricane, and would never deny that the wake has it's problems. Still Mike, my daughter manages to "go big" behind it. She has a BIG smile every time I pull her. And like Chaser we have a blast. No my next boat probably will not be a Centurion, but I am really up for your support group. You can start sending $ immediately towards our next boat. As for the Mercruiser, believe it or not, never broke down, and it's weak little engine managed to tow a "big three" (no need to bash the brand}, back to the marina. .P.S>, I have lot of videos with a Centurion in it. What is your point? Have a great day!
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Actually that big smile on your daughters face is what its all about. But like I said it will work for some people. But the better you get and the better the wakes you ride, the more you will agree with most peoples opinion. I see you already know what we are talking about as you have the same problems everybody has with it. I understand your trying to be postive about it and thats cool. As far as support group...your in...and a checks on the way......lol...as far towing a boat in, evey boat has its problems and towing a boat in 5mph can be done by a swimmer. Michael Phelps???
Old     (vabeachbum)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Centurion owner - Check
Recreational rider - Check
The only guy in my crew with a boat - Check

I don't get any complaints. Well, if I did, I'd leave that turd at the dock. I like my boat. Actually, I love my boat. I have a 2006 Avalanche C4, and couldn't be happier.

We spent some time to get the wake right. I think we've done a pretty good job of it. It also rides really smooth in all types of water. I'm not sure what the porposing was about, but I think that's a wakeplate issue, not a "boat" issue.

I have spent some time this summer on other boats. For the most part, I had only ridden behind Centurions since I started about 4 years ago. I used to read this stuff and think "wow, so other boats don't have to shift passengers to get the wake right!" That's crap. In all of the other boats that I've been in this summer, we had to shift people. It just happens. When, for instance, a 120 pound rider finishes up and a 200 pounder hops in the water for his first set, there's going to be some movement going on.

I can't stand threads like these because of people like Mike Krnaich. You make people feel insecure about the $40-$60k+ that people spend on boats. I'm so glad I don't actually take stock in some of the opinions I've read on this site.

I get it. People clown Centurions. It's just the way it's going to be. I was actually really nervous to have 3 really good riders on my boat a couple weeks ago. They said they enjoyed the wake. They could have been making me feel good, but they are close enough friends that they could have said something negative and I wouldn't be offended. I would take it as positive criticism and make it right.

So I just want to say, if you are thinking about buying a Centurion, don't take these opinions as fact. Go out and ride behind one. See what it's all about.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-29-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Those people who have been told by strangers that there wake is big is the equivalent of asking a girl if your penis is large. Unless they are a complete punks they are not going to say...yah its small; especially if your asking them about it. The only PC thing to say to someone like that is "yah, its a fun wake"... which is a total sidestep out of the question.

I have ridden behind some "decent" Centurion wakes myself (but I have not had the chance to actually play with the weighting and set it up to my desires). But that's coming from someone who rides 2-4 days a week and runs 3k plus in ballast; its all about the wake for me.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Hey Chip, I didnt start this Thread. I think I have been pretty positve about MY OPINIONS. I didnt call anybody out like you just did me. I am not on here being an A-hole. Just Telling my opinion on a wakeboard forum that was made for expressing opinions and answering questions. If you dont want to "take stock" in opinions from a guy like me (who's been riding for 15 years, has a wakeboard school and sold boats for a living), then dont. But DONT call people out because you "feel insecure". Like I said not trying to offend anybody, but my opinion is my opinion. Noone is "clowning" Centurions. Just expressing their Opinions, even Centurion owners. If I had a centurion and was actually happy with it I wouldnt even respond or get upset with "people like me". I am off this one.

(Message edited by riverratboarder on August 29, 2008)
Old     (vabeachbum)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
Your resume speaks for itself.

I called you out specifically because of the first sentence of your first post. You can't say "I don't want to offend anyone..." and follow it up with something offensive! Come on man. You know that. That's like saying "no offense, but your wife eats like a pig." ha! That's offensive!

To me, a statement like "sub-par" is offensive, unless you are talking about a good day on the golf course.

But that's how opinions go, I guess. . .
Old     (wakinali)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Here's my short book
We have owned 2 centurions, and yes we bought them because they were affordable. The last one was a 04 Lightning, and it was a pretty decent boat. I wasnt too thrilled about the hull shape. You sit very shallow in this boat, and if you are on any body of water with some chop, you will soak the people sitting in the bow.

As for the bounce, we had a trim plate which helped dial in the wake, and the bounce when cruzing. I think that the plate was also designed for slolaming (sp?) too, but we are not into it.

I used to compete a lot too, and going from our peaky wake to say... malibu smooth wake was a hard transission. I was always like speed up man!

Prob, will never own another centurion based on the depth of the hull not the wake. Because we never had a problem gettin tossed, unless you enjoy getting tossed into the flats and killin you knees. We also have a 2 year old and its too easy for her to climb out of boat!

Still Rockin Centurion Stickers on Car though!! What ever!
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
Alison, check out the new Falcon, no problem with depth of the hull.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-29-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
The thread is about the older Cents 00-03' and their hulls are more of a hybrid, crossover in that you can ski too.

I have a newer Avy and it's tempermental to weight, but once dialed in it's up there with the rest. Granted I have the switchblade that helps add to the wake and clean it up on the fly while driving at 23+. Blade also helps if you are slightly weighted to one side as it balances the boat out. This is from comparing my wake with and without the blade. With the blade I don't have to tell anyone to sit somewhere else unless we are talking a few hundred pounds.

Back to the thread, the old hull I've only seen pics of the wake and it since the hull is a cross-over with the right weight you can dial in a very good wake that majority of people are happy with, but not sure about tournament quality.

So help the guy out and show wakes of other older boats. If he's considering the older Centurions, than keep your suggestions to the $18-$28k range.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-29-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
First a disclaimer…we have to do this on the Wakesurf forum. I’m not a Centurion rider and receive no personal sponsorship from Centurion or Malibu. However, both Malibu and Centurion have sponsored wake board events that I ran in 2006 and 2007.

My first inboard was an '04 Lightning. The wake on the Lightning had a lot of boot to it. It really launches you. I really like the wakeboard wake on that boat. My Lightning, the same hull as the Hurricane and Elite V, whatever, was originally a ski boat hull. To my understanding this boat was the first inboard sport boat V-drive. With the V-drive configuration I didn’t find the Lightning wake to be a very good for slalom, the wake is simply too big. In my first year with this boat my crew made a huge riding improvements.

I'm no expert wakeboarder. My range of inboard boat experience is limited to a few rides on a Supra 21SV, the 22 foot Supra, the Mooba XLV, CC Team 220, an older Malibu d-drive with the original Wakesetter hull (I think), a couple of VLXs and a bare foot Nautique. I’ve been behind a Centurion Avalanche and Centurion Enzo many times but I’ve only surfed behind those hulls.

Before Joe B. bought his Avy his dealer, my dealer, brought that exact boat to the 2007 Scioto Wakefest and to the First National Wakesurf Championship. Joe was kind enough to bring his boat to the Ohio Wakesurf Championship this year.

At the 2007 Wakefest and with the Switch Blade engaged some riders were intimidated by the size of the wakeboard wake.

In the last two years I've made a pretty hard change over to wakesurfing. The surf wake that I built on the Lightning was stellar. I easily rode 20 feet back from the transom.

I've ridden the Avalanche surf wake and it's stellar on both sides. We used matching pairs of Centurion Avalanches at the 2007 and 2008 National Wakeboard League/American Wakesurf Association National Wakesurf Championship. At both National Championships the goofy stance riders, notably from Florida and the west coast exclaimed that the regular and goofy wakes were the most balanced setups that they had ever seen at a Wakesurf competition.

I’ve never wakeboarded behind my Enzo, I’m just not that interested in wakeboarding any more. I have pulled a few wakeboarders. With no ballast, just a few passengers on board the wake looks very good to my eye, but again I haven’t wakeboarded on it.

The port surf wake on my Enzo is simply amazing. This evening we were surfing at 12.5 to 14.5 mph. I only used one 750 in the back locker filled the midship tank and put another 750 just in front of the port midship tank. I have used twice that ballast on my old boat and didn’t achieve a surf wake that good. At those speeds and with that ballast pocket is just amazing.

My Centurion boats have been excellent and the support that I’ve received from Centurion has been all I could ask for. I’d buy again, we’ll no, my wife would absolutely kill me, something about sending the kids to college. Look at the boats your interested in, ride them, then buy what you like.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2008, 2:49 AM Reply   
And so another hatin thread draws to a close.
What have we learned boys and girls?
1. Older Centurion hulls take a bit of dialing but can be a good value.
2. The amount of dialing needed may or may not be the same as other brands of boat.
3. There are people who have an unhealthy amount of emotion invested in their likes and dislikes when it comes to boat brands.
Old     (famlyboader)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2008, 4:26 AM Reply   
some of you ballast freaks that want to ride behind my 06 avy are more than welcome to...all day long. these boats will suprise you!!! And yes my _ss is just as wore out as yours is on monday morning and i spent 20-30 grand less!!!! Im sorry but some of you need glasses.. these wakes are nice and huge.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
Rodney - You make me proud ol' buddy!!!!! How's the season for you?
Old     (llewis)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-30-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have a Centurion Avalanche. I am pleased with the wake it produces. However, I still have to have an experienced driver who knows what to do if the wake starts to look washy on one side. Nevertheless this boat is more than capable of producing a great wake. I am not trying to imply that the wake on this boat is better than the wake on any other wake boat especially the big 3. I just dont understand why the owners of these other boats continuously try to justify the extra money they spent on their X Stars and SANTEs by bad mouthing Centurions. Last time I was at the Malibu dealership, they were trying to tell me why I shouldnt buy a Centurion but added that if I do, I should check out the Avalanche because of their boats that is the one that keeps up with the competition. Thats from the mouth of a Malibu dealer. This was when the Enzo was still new as Ive heard this is a pretty nice boat too.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-30-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
if your looking for an affordable , new wakeboat check out moomba...they tend to not be as detailed as far as interior goes but as for the wake they throw out a nice big wake with a pretty decent sized transition. Its a def more melow and not as steep as say a SAN but i personally love the wake our Mobius XLV puts out especially with around 3000 lbs of ballast
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
hmmm.... I've been seeing a lot of Mobius boats recently, more than i think i have seen before.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-30-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
i use to own a 1999 centurion e lite v drive this boat was a great boat for driving and drinking in not for wakeboarding save some money and buy a older san
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
Well here we go again. I wasn't going to chime in as I have done this all too many times, but this was getting out of hand with the haters.

Here are my stats
Owned an 01 Hurricane, 02 Cyclone, 03 Avy, 04 Cyclone, and was set to have an 05/06 Avy, but walked away and went with 2000 X-Star. Could have went with a newer X-star/X-2/X-1 but git a smoking deal on that 2000 and it was paid for rather than a note. Been behind pretty much every line of boat excpet Newer Sangers and Tige's. Spent tons of time in MC'sXstar and x15,210's 220's, Vlx's, Moomba's LSV current and older hulls, and Supra's Launch old and new hull, 22ssv old hull and 21V new hul, for comparison shopping.

The original hull, the Hurricane/Lightning was a ski hull modified to a v-drive. The wake was a great beginner/intermediate wake for sure. Very steep. Wake was touchy with weight and needed to be weighted right. Also wouldn't take much more extra weight than the factory 3 tanks before it was maxed out for boarding. Great entry level boat with a great solid ride that kept you high and dry. You need the hydaulic plate for sure

The Cyclone by far was my favorite wake. It was a great cross between my now X-star wake and a 210 wake. Not quite as steep as the Nauti, but not as rampy as the MC(I say that comparing it to the Nauty as we all know an MC still has some vert). The Cyclone was a very very very similar wake shape to the MC 205V especially when weighted down. Just had a little more lip at the top and bucked you with a nice solid kick. The Cyclone if you ask me was MY FAVORITE wake in the Centurion line. This boat took the least amount of weight to get a pro caliber wake. YES I SAID PRO CALIBER Again this it at the time where the Original 210, Original VLX, and Original X-Star were the contenders. With the stock 3 tanks and about only an extra 500lbs in the right spots it competed easily with the top 3 . I am not talking 3-5klbs extra here. I am talking avergae Advanced Rider stacked up wakes. Handled the rough water better than any of those top 3 and also threw out a way better surf wake. So for me it was a no brainer. Cyclone all the way.

Then I was made an offer I couldn't refuse by the rep due to my loyalty and promotion of the boat line. Avy was a solid boat, but for me was too much boat at the time as my crew was usally 4 people. So we dumped the hard tanks and added some scas and added some to the nose. The Avy wake was also ver nice and peaky. Very similar to the Cyclone's just had a little longer transition and just didn't have as much kick at the top as the Cyclone did. Still again a cross bewteen the 210 and the X-star just with longer transition and a little less peak than the Cyclone. The Avy had some problems I think in 05-06 when the changed the jig or something if I recall causing the Port side to really wash beyond repair. On some boats it was nasty and I have heard, seen, and had first hand experience some people being taken care of with regards to that and oters left holding the bag. Another reason for my salty taste.

The "wash" on their older boats is easily negligeable with the proper weight placement. I highly recommend purchasing one with a hydraulic wakeplate. Wouldn't buy any of their boats unless current model without one. Now I would probably go Switchblade. As far as wakes.......they competed back in the day with the top 3. These days the Enzo is competeing with the new X-Stars, Vlx's and CC 220's.

No doubt their wakes are more touchy than that of the big three and other companies especially back then, but that was the trade off for their #1 surf wakes and #1 ride. The touchyness comes from their deep V's. The newer Falcon and Enzo are a different more flatter hulls. So the trade off is the ride and the steepness of the wake. I left due to huge dealership issues and a shall we say firing of the Midwest Rep(who was top notch) I don't regret a day walking away, but I am just as happy with my MC as I was with any of their boats. I miss that litte kick at the top and the ride for sure, but I was over it the after a day behind the MC.

Go for what you like. Sure there are arguably some better boats out there, but the Centurions won't let you down. They offer a rock solid ride that won't break the bank.

I apologize ahead of time for all th typos and mispells just don't have the time to go back and check.....ENJOY
If you have any questions shoot
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
The first 3 are old pics of a Cyclone wake with stock 3 tanks and 300 in the nose. ZERO WASH From 02ish I think Not best pics or form by my buds but you get the idea. 4th pic is Supra SSV22 I will try and find some of the Avy but I am sure others here will beat me to them. They look the same no wash

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by xstarrider on September 02, 2008)
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-02-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
from my experiance with the centurion "one wake wash" is that you can make it so the wake does not wash out, but you will still have a different shape than the other side. The first picture in this thread shows off what I have experianced with centurions, and as a rider that hits both wakes i found it to be very frustrating. I belive this problem might be based on the prop and rudder being lined up perfectly, where as other boat companies usually offset the prop and rudder to compensate for the torque of the engine, etc.

I have riden some centuions with very nice wakes, but for the most part I have had the "one wake wash" blues.

As i said before, the 1994-1997 and 1999-2006 super air/210's from nautique are the best value, in my opinion. The quality is reflected in the wake and construction (nautiques usually dont have the sound of a transmission about to explode while accelerating).