Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-04-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
Hey guys this is my first year out here in Sac with a boat so I wanted to see how many of you winterize your boat. I keep mine in my garage and it doesn't appear to get that cold at night in there. However it is a new boat and I paid a lot of money for it so I don't want to take a hit because of my stupidity if u know what I mean. Do you think it will be ok in the garage or should I just get it winterized? I do plan on riding however I am not sure how much that is why I am having second thoughts.
What do you guys and gals do??
Old    walt            11-04-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
Larry if your boat is inside you dont need to worry about the water in the block freezing but if you want to be safe it only takes a minute to drain it. Keep your gas tank full and add gas stabalizer and Disconnect your battery cables.
If you dont know how to drain the block send Me a e-mail and I will tell you how.
wsalty@comcast.net
Old    oshensurfer            11-05-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
I can show ya how to drain it Larry. Lemme know.
Old    deltahoosier            11-05-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
You most likely do not need to winterize it. If you are using it, then you will always replenish it with 60 degree water at a minimum and it rarely freezes anyway. If you are worried, put a cup of water on the boat trailer and check it after a cold night. The water in the cup will freeze well before the engine block in it's insultated enclosure.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-07-2003, 6:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the .02$ guys.. I do know how to drain the block, I just wasn't sure if it will be an issue here in Sac.
Hey Rob on a side note great looking boat, is that Mossdale boats in the back ground??

Scottaaaayy just got back from Denver tonight daaaam its cold there. He he. give me a jingle so we can hammer a beer or two.
Old    hitit            11-10-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
I am going to us my boat this winter also. It's a bit of a pain to keep draining the block and hooking everything back up every time you go to use it. Here is what I'm doing.
Use gas stabilizer in the tank. Put a 100watt light bulb on the end of an extension cord and put that in your engine compartment. The light bulb will give off enough heat. You don't have to keep your engine warm, just above 32 degrees

(Message edited by hitit on November 10, 2003)
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
An historical note: Back in the 80s there was a hard freeze in Sacto. For several days and nights the temp didn't get above freezing. Our pond in Rio Linda was frozen enough that you could carefully walk on it. I heard hundreds of boat engines froze. Doesn't happen often, obviously, but it can happen. Our boat is outside in the winter and we like to use it a few times so we no longer winterize. We do the light bulbs if we go away in case a hard freeze comes. We use two 60 watt bulbs in case one burns out.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       11-13-2003, 4:58 PM Reply   
I'm in El Dorado Hills and my Boat is in my garage. I was not planning on winterizing it and wouldn't think it could possibly freeze solid in there.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-13-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
If you get a really cold stretch then you can just put a 100 watt light in the engine compartment and leave it on. That will be enough heat to keep it from freezing. But it rarely gets cold enough in Sac to worry about it, particularly when the boat is stored in a garage.
Old    deltahoosier            11-14-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
Thanks Larry,

That is actually Bell Aqua in your area.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-14-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
I winterize here in sactown but mainly for maintenance purposes. I change the oil, fill the tank add stabil, flogg the cylinders, and drain the block... The chance of freezing is very remote and you'd see it coming and take preventative measures. But if you're really worried get a Boatsafe bilge heater (from Besaco) or magnetic block heater from a local retailer. Light bulbs are unreliable and could burn out.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-14-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
Rob what was I thinking I should have guessed with the PALM in the background.. He he..
Malibudude thanks for the info that is a good idea with the magnetic block heater. Not too fond of the light buld thing.....I have one other question though for u guy's. I noticed that they installed a quick disconnect down on the lower left side of my block which leads to my shower (hot side). Can I just drain from there or is that not sufficient?

Scott where the hell u been hiding man give me a hollar.
Old    oshensurfer            11-14-2003, 2:24 PM Reply   
Lar,
I'll ring ya in a couple hours, come over and we'll drain that beyotch.

S