Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
In my never ending search to over engineer everything and make things better and faster. I'm thinking of adding some electronic solenoids to my ballast system.
Looking for sources and recommendations as well as installation tips.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-14-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
The Toro solenoids work well. I've tried other brands and the solenoid doesn't work well with 12 volts. Another thing to remember: You can only pass water through them one way and they do not seal perfectly when not activated. In other words, if you're using aerator pumps, and you have a solenoid in the system that is closed, it can still pass through air causing your pump to cavitate.

P.S. Thanks for the gator grip. I've got it on the back of my Malibu Sportster and it's been great!

(Message edited by tuneman on October 14, 2003)
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
Tuneman,

Thanks for the input. I have heard people having luck with sprinkler solenoids but, wasn't sure how they were doing it or if there was another option.

Chris
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-14-2003, 4:00 PM Reply   
Here is what I know about Irrigation Valves, I have been a Landscaper for over 10 years and if you think about it; if have an irrigation system and the power is turned off dose the sprinklers turn on, no. All irrigation valves are 12v, if you ask me (i have never installed them for ballast so tuneman could be right) if you turn it on the water will come out, and turn it off the water will shut off.

A different thought, if you what to use as a way to open an close like a valve, use the Calabria way. Two rv dump valves, this is a great way to fill ballast.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2003, 7:18 PM Reply   
Switch,

I see what you mean with the irragation valves. The RV valves won't do because they are 2" valves. I'm looking to replace my 3/4" manual valves.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-15-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
Chris have you called your local rv dealer repair shop? I have a camper that uses a 1 1/2 valve, maybe you can use a reducer to make it fit. But if you are looking to just replace your 3/4 manual valves the irr. valves may work just fine.

What kind of valves are you replacing? Are they manual pull up valves or what?
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2003, 6:29 PM Reply   
I have an 03' SAN and they use livewell valves which are cable actuated. I want to change them over to 3/4" electric. But, if it turns out that it's not doable or cost prohibitive then I won't do it.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-21-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
Don't replace those manual valves, they are the best thing going. Sprinkler valves are too restrictive and make your pumps work too hard. I think someone should add an external solenoid to remotely actuate the livewell valves.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-26-2003, 4:55 PM Reply   
I ordered a Flow Rite valve to add to my system, I will use either a 12vdc solenoid or a vacuum solenoid to actuate it. The cable arrangement is pretty foolproof, but I have the switch and relay and wiring in place already from my prior experiments. Chris, I wouldn't change a thing if I were you.
Old    d_fresh            10-26-2003, 7:42 PM Reply   
Use Simer pumps! Make life easy!