Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-27-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
I am trying to decide between Panasonic AG-DVC30... 3ccd mini DV and JVC GR-HD1 1ccd High Def mini DV.

I will be using it for 80% action sports (wakeboarding and motorcycles) and 20% lifestyle.

I can get both for about the same price. I know that HD is the future, but have read some bad reviews on the JVC. I have seen footage shot with the Panasonic and was very impressed.

Anyone with experience with either of these 2 camcorders?
Thank you.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-27-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
Check out the new Canon HV10/HV20. IQ from those blow doors off the JVC. If you're going to shoot wakeboarding in HD (using HDV camcorders) be prepared to put up with some motion artifacts. If you're careful you can get a pretty good picture and IMHO still superior to miniDV.
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
panny no doubt it is far superior to anything from jvc. Also jvc only lets you use jvc lenses
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-02-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
For sure Panny, besides and yes i said it but HDV is wack.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-05-2007, 1:19 AM Reply   
The answer is within: Fanny Panny Blue Bammy!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
ha ha... thanks for your advice. I LOVE "blue bammys".... so it makes sense that i get the panny.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-06-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
"but HDV is wack."

I used to think the same but if you shoot wakeboarding right, transcode it to DVCPro HD 720p60 before you apply slomo, CC it to punch up the color, HDV from the new Canons' is not that bad. Motion artifacts are in the background only and that get's blurred with the transcoding. Bottom line the new HV10/20 image has as much detail as the HVX200 it's just the color that suffers when compared. Sorry but it blows doors off anything miniDV (at least up to DVX quality) when transcoded for the web or to DVD.

There are still a lot of tradeoffs obviously, the extra post work and lack of real manual controls to say the least but WTF when we're talking a sub $1K unit. The HV20 shoots 24p too, guys are putting Brevis 35mm adaptors on them and using them for Indie films.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
Its all copied lines, and i just dont like dealing with it. Ill give it the fact that you can make it look much better that regular DV, but with the HVX out near the same price you cant compare.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-06-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
HVX's are close to 5 grand with an 8gig P2 card, the little HV10/20's are under a grand???

I didn't say they could touch an HVX, I would know since I own one but for a sub $1K consumer cam they are pretty cool and have amazing picture quality.

Anyway I'd take a hard look at those before I'd buy a miniDV cam (even a 3 chip) You're going to start seeing some pretty decent video from there little guys.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
well ya for sure but i was talking more about the XL HD thing that canon has. I would agree for under a grand camera thou...
Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-06-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
sonys HC7 is up against the canon Hv20. Just bought a HC7 last week, pretty impressive!!!