Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    big_dave            12-28-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
I have found a dealer in Georgia who has a brand-new 2004 X-Star still on the floor. The boat is fully loaded (heater, bimini, tower speakers) and comes with the LQ9 Cadillac Engine. Obviously the dealer is very anxious to move this boat and offered it to me at what they "claim" is their cost of $57,580.00. The boat has been used a time or two for demo purposes but has no more than 10 hours so I may be able to get them down even more. I haven't been pricing X-Stars but I know they are amongst the priceiest boats on the market. Does this seem to be a good price and are there many changes from 2004 to 2006?

Thanks..

Dave
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-28-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
With those options i would say that is pretty close to cost. I would jump on it if that's the boat you want. But you also need to consider, if you haven't already that the boat is a 2004 and will depreciate quicker based on the year alone. Shouldn't be a big deal if you plan on keeping it a while.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-28-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
The biggest change in my opinion would be the introduction of swivel (sp?) board racks on the 2005
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
High Retail is 63K, Average is 55K. I would offer 55K and if he takes it. Pounce.
Old    kvanderg            12-28-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
Dave,

Do a basic search on the xstar first... I was thinking of buying one at one point and the reviews, I found, of the LQ9 equipped Xstars were less than favourable. The consensus was that the MCX was, believe it or not, a much better choice.

Don't remember the exact details... but you have to prop it just right to get it out of the hole and plane. Bring lots of gas $$$.

That and the same old thing... water test it in the exact way you intend on using it. So if you are gonna have 10 people and 2000# in it all the time... load it up just like that and water test.

Yours sales guy might not like that kind of water test... but your spending your money not his.

KV
Old    big_dave            12-28-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
That is very interesting, regarding the LQ9 motor. I haven't done any research on this motor, just assumed it was better due to its h.p. rating, etc. That may be the reason the boat is still setting at the dealer. And, this motor makes the price increase by almost five grand!! If it is not worth the money then this boat will be hard to sell... Thanks for the feedback!!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
Dave,I heard and read the same.....MCX is a better choice in motors and cheaper.If you can get them to exchange the engine I would jump on it right away,even for almost if not the same price as mentioned.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-28-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
Not trying to throw a wrench in your thought, but look at the '05 at Mastercraft of Charlotte, it's got some hours on it, but is still "new" as far as MC is concerned, and it has all the goodies and the big block (which really is the only engine big enough for that boat, when you weight it, the MCX is still a little weak)

It's silver metal flake, very sharp looking boat, and I'm sure they will work with you to get it off of their yard.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-28-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
That price is high. My dealer in Houston has 4 05 Xstars still in inventory. All black (since been sold) 150 hours on it he was offering 57k. Brand new no hours blue with white hull MCX engine he was offering for 60k. Two others I forgot. I would think 55 easily, if not a bit cheaper for an 04.

I know b/c I am considering buying one....
Old    kvanderg            12-28-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
For what it's worth... up here is Alberta, Canada... there is a loaded, MCX, 20 hour, '05 Xstar for $75K ($62K USD) sitting at our MC dealer.

Still has full 3 year warranty.

Nice boat!
Old    kvanderg            12-28-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
Hey... you know what I haven't seen, even after looking around, is a good picture of an Xstar wake

Does anyone have some they would like to share along with some basic setup info?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
You might want to hit Kevin Pothier up for some info.......His X-STAR wake is one of the best around.I rode behind it last winter.He has the MCX engine in it and reproped it....gets out of the hole fine and I believe he runs close to 3000lbs. A little wide at 80' but at 70'-75' AWSOME!!

If I ever wanted a bigger boat,without a doubt X-STAR would be it.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-28-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
Both engines are great. I personally run the LQ9, and have for the past 3 years. I literally have never had a problem with one, and put over 600 hours a year on one easily, running everything from no ballast to over 5000lbs with ballast and people. Its a great engine. I just ordered my 06' with one, and will continue to unless something WAY more fuel efficient came out. You can't go wrong either way, but I would jump on the LQ9.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-28-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
5000lbs??? OOOOOOk.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-28-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
hugh, it does look a bit goofy but i recall a thread all about sacked-out boats and there was more than one x-1/2/star with 3500-4100 lbs. it wouldn't surprise to hear that number. yeah, that's a lot, but not enough for me to not believe it
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
Hugh,did you read his profile and what he does for a living?
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
Dave, is that a leftover at JOA?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2005, 5:46 AM Reply   
I have over 3400lbs plumbed into the boat, and at times have up to 10 people in it. I run a 13.7x15 on the boat. I'm not gonna say it jumps out of the water, but it will definitely do it, and as you can guess the wake and gas cosumption is rediculous. It's not something we do everyday, but just for shoots or something. If you see Shaun's section in Counterfeit This, the shots taken from the plane are behind my boat, and it is overflowing with people, and full ballast.
I know other guys, that run close to that on a daily basis, both X-Stars and the LSV, but they are rocking the 8.1
Old    kvanderg            12-29-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Dont want to be a pest... but... any wake pictures and setup info?

KV
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-29-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
Good enough for Moye, good enough for you.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-29-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
Michael...I would be willing to bet that it's Joa over there on upper roswell road as they lost Mastercraft recently. I think the Joa up by lanier still has MC though.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-30-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Andrew, actually JOA lost Mastercraft all together. Up at Lanier, Watersports Central is now the Mastercraft dealer. I believe JOA is now the Centurion dealer, but don't quote me on that. Cobalt, who was the dealer for Tige, is now the dealer for Tige and Correct Craft. Big shuffle in the ATL area!
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-30-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the props Ed.. I wish I had some pics on hand, but this is a new comp. I am using with no pics on here yet.
As far as set up... Travis has me way out numbered.. We run close to 3,000 lbs like Ed stated. Stock of 1,000. 2 rear 600lbs bags n seperate pumps and switches. 480 lbs of lead in the nose. then of course peeps, fuel and so on.
MCX works well with that weight set up, but we did reprop it to help the hole shot.
As far as the orignal question.. Sounds like a pretty good deal.. Maybe a little high, but not bad.

(Message edited by big x-star on December 30, 2005)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-31-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
Michael, the JOA on Holiday Road lost MC too. For good reason, they are dicks.

The funny thing was, JOA lost MC, The CC dealer lost CC and took MC, and the Tige dealer got CC. JOA picked up Centurion. Lots of drama on Holiday road this year. I don't know which mechanic works for who anymore!
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-31-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
Dave,
First of all AWESOME price on a NEW X-Star. Having the 04 tower you can't adapt to the 05 Swivel. You might want to consider the 06 Rudder on that boat. The LQ-9 only comes in about 60-90 more than the MCX Powerslot combo in a 190. The LQ-9 is a AWESOME motor. MORE HP and torque, closed cooling system. Easy to work on ! I don't know where you are from, a suggestion would be is to communicate with your local dealer. Tell him what you are planning in the way of a purchase. Let him know that that way if you show up for some warranty work he won't be surprised. Make sure that you get ALL THE warranty paperwork from JOA. They lost the opportunity to sell MC because of customer service. They SOLD a ton of MC's in Georgia. Johnny Crow at WaterSports Central is the MAN. A great addition to MC dealer network. He will easliy surpass JOA real fast, besides now he can get boats CC just could not supply him with product and had a TON of restrictions on him.

Good Luck with your purchase. Happy New Year
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-01-2006, 5:43 AM Reply   
I'll have to see if I can find some pics of the wake, but I run stock ballast, have a 750 on each side of the engine and a 260 under each side up front(all with separate pumps and switches), there is also another one(370) for the walk-thru that I really don't use because I like the floor clear, so I have a little over 300lbs of lead tucked up in the nose(2 in the cooler, and 2 on the sides), and I keep a bar or two in the cockpit to move around. If you just have a couple of people in there it does fine, if you put 6 or more on top of that, it will struggle a bit on the take off, but will still do it, and the wake is really big and nice. If I have a lot of guys in the boat I usually drain the rear bags a bit on the go till its Ok. I had tons of guys come out this year and say it was one of, if not the most, fun and big wakes they had ridden. And, being in Florida we are only in 6 to 10 feet of water most of the time. I would love to see it somewhere with a little depth!
Old    kvanderg            01-01-2006, 5:50 AM Reply   
Paul,

If its OK with you... I'll be the judge of whats best for me.

KV
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-01-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
TJK, Johnny Crow is a great guy, I always have liked MC's but never even considered because of JOA. It's different now.

Travis, that sounds like the wake of the GODS but most of us mortals can't afford the bill:-) Bully to those that can.

I still like my Epic, I am a cheap bastard and I have to buy my own gas. It just goes and goes, like a Camry or something:-)
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-02-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Like I said, we don't run it that heavy most of the time, it is pretty heavy on the gas, its more for just shoots or something like that. Most of the time I'm running just stock plus people for students and everyone is more than happy with it. When Shaun and Keith ride I'll juice most everything up depending on how many people are in the boat.
I used to have Toyotas back in while they where up and running, and can agree on the gas. My only problem was that as much weight as I was running I had to use premium, so it was kinda the same. I was using less, but paying more.