Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-13-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
www.shawkboardgear.com

Now correct me if I am wrong. But what make wakeskating so cool and difficult is that your feet are not connected. Is this not cheating then, being connect to the wakeskate? I dont really understand this product. I dont understand why anyone would want to be connected to there wakeskate, let alone ride a wakeboard only connected to the board with shoes and velcrow (sorry I cannot Spell) or as they call it "The Pad Lock System." Seems like a great way to break an leg or get smoked in the head by the board. When you are wakeboarding you bindings do more than simply connect you to the board, they add a ton of support to you legs and help you leverage the board to say the least.

Has anyone tried this? What does everyone think of this product?

I am all for innovation but this seems pointless and sort of dangerous. Sorry if this post offends anyone really into riding this way.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            03-13-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
I agree with you Andy.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-13-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
I agree Andy.

If you're velcro'd to the board, it's no longer wakeskating.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-13-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
Can you picture someone trying to enter a wakeskate contest with that set-up?
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
yeah... pointless and dangerous having a board strapped to your feet! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-13-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
Swami you must of missunder stood me. Havning a board Velcro'd to your feet is pointless and Dangerous.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-13-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
cheating...i agree andy.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-13-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
Although Chics dig my velcro shoes so who knows!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-13-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
The only benefit I see is maybe learning tricks without worrying about catching an edge.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-13-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
LAME
Old     (dekay)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-13-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
Leo,
You can still catch an edge if you're spinning. The only benefit I see is maybe learning how to spin or ollie or something like that on a wakeskate without losing the board so you get the motion down and then you can do the actual thing without the velcro.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-13-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Itd probably be good for learning shuvits
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-13-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
Simpsons did it already.

http://www.lazykiller.com/index~id~2645.htm
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-13-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Cheating?? Only if you're entering a traditional wakeskate contest. Other than that it just seems dumb!
Old     (shawk)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-13-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
FYI:
The Padlawk Binding System can be applied to almost any sports board; not just a wakeskate.
People are riding the system on wakeboards, kite boards, surf boards, as well as wakeskates.
It actually was designed for wakeboarding and tow-in surfing.
It is an excellent learning tool for beginners and a great practice tool for the advanced rider.
There are only a handle of riders in the USA using the product since it does not go on sale until late March.
The system is being used across Australia.
http://www.shawkboardgear.com
http://www.myspace.com/shawkboardgear
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-13-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
There was a similar system out there using magnets a couple of years ago. it was mainly for skaters. it came with thin metal plate that you put under your grip tape. Then they had these skate shoes with really high powered magnets in the soles. It was strong enough to hold the board to your feet, but you could also slide your foot off the plate and be free of the magnet.

I have a buddy that had a set he was given at surf expo one year (he ran a skate shop). I wanted to put it on a wakeskate just to freak my friends out, but the shoes were too small.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-13-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Nice first post Shawk.
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       03-13-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
We had someone enter one of our contests with this setup. He rode in the wakeboard not wakeskate division. All I can say is the falls looked brutal from the boat. Lot of one foot bail outs.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-13-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
I give it one season tops.
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-13-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
how would you use it on a wakeboard?
Old     (shawk)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-13-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
Upload

Upload
Upload
Old    murrayair            03-13-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
So...why would you not just use bindings, again? Just seems like it would be too easy to jack up your ankles, not to mention the loss of responsiveness you would get from the board.
Old    wakeboardpunk17            03-13-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
I dont know how well it will work but only time will tell who knows maybe it will be a big hit...either way its something new...Im sure the first wakeboarders or dudes on surfboards behind boats were called idiots and that it was pointless...and look where we are today its all about innovation and trying something new. Some will suceed some will not but its the whole point that counts. Best of luck shawk pad dudes
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-13-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
I tried both velcro and magnets about three seasons ago. I was ripped apart when I mentioned it to anyone. It was fun but I don't see people doing any flip tricks with that system. shuvits, rails and w2w would be lots of fun though. It would be cheating if you were competing with people using just grip tape.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-14-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
I still dont see the point.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-14-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
I wonder if water skiiers said "I don't see the point" about wakeboarding?

:-)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-14-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
no, they saw the point, and just had a general dislike for the point.

: )
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-14-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Well, I guess I gett o try it out first hand. The nice people at Shawk are sending me out the compete system. I wil post and let you know how it works. Should be interesting.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
I can kind of see the idea for big wave surfing and the new school surfing with airs etc. But not really with wakeboarding. Depending on how strong the actual "grip" is it might be kind of decent for wakesurfing, doing airs and spins; but you loose the option for shuvs etc.

Overall it seems kind of mute, skaters wont like it becuase its not skating and boarders wont like it becuase you cant get as tech with it.

I dont understand the market for this, what are the benefits, what does it offer that wakeskates or wakeboards dont?
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-14-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
I used to rubber band my skateboard to my feet on the mini ramp once in a great while just to get the feel of some of the ollie trick landings.

It was fun for a good laugh.. some of the crazy shizz we could pull off with those rubber banded boards.

My motto.. if it's fun, do it. :-)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-14-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
me too Swami. used the old innertubes from my bike tires. wish I had a camera back then.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-14-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
If you put it on a wakeboard wouldn't you hurt your ankles and knees more just because you have less support?
Old     (shawk)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
Riders are reporting to us that when crashing they come free of the board making injuries less likely.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2007, 12:04 AM Reply   
wow, i hear a lot of opinions...has anyone that has an opinion actually tried these out? Im definately open to the idea; and think it may have something to it...I'm always open to innovation and trying new things...This almost seems like a developement from Shmaltz's velcro shoes back in the early 90's.
Good job Shawk...keep the ideas and new products coming.