Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
I'm looking for some feed back on handles and their grips. I have owned two handles since I started boarding back in '96 - both handles that will eat up your hands w/o gloves (old 15" Fly High with wrap braid & 15" Ripcord with t)

Can anybody throw down some Pro's and Con's of each handle:

Carbon vs. non Carbon

Helium's TCH/TCH II feedback

Watson's/Shane's simpler design (is weight the advantage here?)

Does weight really matter in a handle???

I really don't care if there is a wrap handle or not.

Any other factors to consider...........

Thanks!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
i had some old ski handle that i had to use gloves for and i just got a Proline LG Series (as it says on the side)

it has leather grip which i like becuase when its wet, it gets kinda grippy for your hands, not heavy and not bad looking either

carbon i hear can hurt like because its similar to a tennis racket, if you hit it with your elbow or something its like hitting the side of a racket because its harder, but they have wider grips ( i think) but i'm going back just what i saw at the store

if your new i'd say no reason for a carbon, just go non carbon

and not sure about this either but i thought i read if you drop the handle it can dent your board/boat but not 100% sure

peace
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-11-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
I haven't really herd that great of stuff about carbons either, their only advantage is that they don't bend? or something? The thing that I would add, is if you can get a handle that floats you will save yourself a lot of time and hassle that way
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
I got a carbon handle as a gift when they first came out, so I guess its been about 3 seasons on it. I wouldn't get one again. I see no gains from it and it really hasn't held up too well, I will replace it for the upcoming season. It sees maybe 8 pulls a week, for about 18 weeks. I would say thats relatively light use. Everything Brett said about them is true, although havent seen a dent on any boat from it.
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
That supports my thoughts on carbon, thanks for the input.

What about the grips between handles? I see ameoba/squid, eva, leather, etc. Thanks for your input Brett on leather. I believe eva is the foam kind, am I right? How durable are each of the handles?

Anybody hear anything about helium handles?

Thanks again!
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, eva is the foam kind. A friend of mine has what I believe is the squid grip. Not overly impressed with it, it feels kind of cheap and not very comfortable. I don't have too much experience with other handles. I've ridden a premier handle that felt nice, but can't say how durable it is. I have heard good things about the leather grip prolines (except for some issues with the grip when they first came out, I think its been corrected) so I will certainly be checking those out before I buy any other handle. Sorry I can't be any more help. Thinking about that carbon handle again, 3 seasons really is pretty good use, but not for the price. I would say if you can get 3 seasons out of a handle that would be good.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-11-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
i have a straitline handle with an eva grip, i love it, really comfortable with or without gloves, it floats, the only thing wrong is that the glue or w/e it has is starting to break off and the sides can pop off if you pull them, i have also been using it for over 3 seasons, other than that i love it
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
can you go to a store and test em yourself? mine was 45minutes away but it definately helped me from buying a carbon...

if not try www.wakeside.com

they have rider reviews if you wanna get a little more personal information