Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-09-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
Going out on sunday, where is some good spots to launch? I am currently in el Derado hills. thanks
nate
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-09-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
folsom lake @ brown's ravine in edh- edh blvd to green valley (turn L) and ramp/entrance on the right

(Message edited by dcranium on March 09, 2007)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2007, 12:46 AM Reply   
i'd drive a bit and ride the river. it's going to be a warm day on sunday and lots of people might be out. folsom isn't fun on warm days.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-10-2007, 1:10 AM Reply   
Id like to check out the river, where should I launch from there?

This is a spur of the moment trip, i was going to go snowboarding and decided to take the boat out instead, I never ride up here. I just keep my boat in sac during the winters where I have a garage.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2007, 1:40 AM Reply   
launch out of elkhorn. see directions below.

Upload

heading northbound on i-5, take the airport exit. once on the road towards the airport, you'll pass an arco gas station on the right. immediately after the gas station is a ramp. there'll be a sign for garden hwy. take that ramp. the ramp will lead you to crossfield drive. take that road till it ends, then go left. that will lead to n. bayou road. take n. bayou road till it ends at garden hwy. elkhorn launch ramp is right at that intersection. kind of confusing at first, but make that trip once and you'll never forget.

once you've launched the boat, head north on the river.

Upload

right after verona, either turn around or go left. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT OR YOU'LL LOSE A PROP. if you go left, it's some of the best water in norcal...even better than the delta! BUT, stay in the middle, as the sides may have submerged logs.

have fun!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-10-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
Thanks, Joe. Sounds like an Indiana Jones movie, will there be giant waves of water chasing us and gaps in the river to jump?

If I were to start in Sac, where would be the closest launching point to ride the Delta? I've ridden the north Delta before around Ryer Island, but that may not be worth the day trip. Any advice either here or on PM? Thanks.
Old    kidrik            03-10-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
I'm not saying these are the best places to launch, but I've used Miller Park, Discovery Park, and Garcia Bend. Miller Park and Garcia have been free, however, my vehicle was broken into the ONE time I used Garcia. Discovery can get packed on weekends, and I believe costs around $8 or $10.
I haven't had any problems at Miller, but I tend to go on "off" times to avoid as much chaos as possible. And like Joe said, I've heard nothing but good things about Elkorn. But for me, it's hard to beat how close Miller is. I will most likely be out there Sunday as well though! What color is your 210?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-10-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
I am just going to be exploring on sunday around sac, I didn't bring a board. Like I said I was planning on snowboarding but have the itch to get on the water.

my 210 in black and purple with a purple tower, if you see me wave and lets say hello, always nice to meet new wakeworlders.

If I wanted to ride around near old town which one would I launch from?
Old     (dhr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-10-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Joe Don't tell about the happy butter grounds. The water is glassy but there is alot of log's & wingdams as u get closer to verona
Old    kidrik            03-10-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Old town sits between Discovery Park and Miller. I'm going to drive down and check out Miller today to see how "launchable" it is........sometimes there's heavy silt build up this time of year? You would be safe at Discovery though. Just head south after launch. Might take a whole 2 minutes to get there! I'll look for ya.(we usually head North to that "crappy, don't go there" place that Dave and Joe are talking about....)
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-10-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Yeah, Folsom is terrible, Avoid it all costs!!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
dang Joe you just given out one the best keep secrets "Verona".... but hey share the love...good advice would also bring some rubbing alchol with you, if you get a cut or such clean it right away or you'll deal with an bad infection!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-10-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
Tons of debris in the river right now... stick to the delta!
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-10-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
I was told to go to check out crabs on the river? I want to get lunch on the water.

Rik, you got directions to Discovery park?

thanks guys hope to see some of you tomorrow, i think its just going to be me and my girl out for a ride.
Old    kidrik            03-11-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Nate, hope not too late, been getting ready. We're hitting Discovery around 10am. Hook onto I-5 North and go just through the city. Take the Richards Blvd. exit. Take a left and go back under the freeway. About 100 yards look for a sign to the park, and take a right. Pay at booth, and follow signs to ramp. There's also Crawdad's in that neck of the woods......just seconds North of launch. We'll be North of that ridin' then, maybe back there for some shrimp and booze.......
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-11-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
thanks everyone for the directions, I am loading up the boat right now.

again im in a black and purple sanger v210
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-11-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
I went out at orwood,
what a day here in beautiful California
LA is burning, the delta was flat as glass
and it might have hit 80 or so, I asked the fisherman and he told me...57 degree water...
barefooting commenced...got too hot in the drysuit and had to go to just 2 wetsuits and it was kinda cold... but refreshing, hit it baby, give me 45 fast! fast! fast!
we did see a gang at orwood on shore between the pipes and traintrks who have a winch and a new rail but they were not showing it off very well...the guy was just learning to wakeboard and looked more like if he had got up he woulda hit the rail face first...it was just like summer but the water was cold and orwood closed early cause its only march 11th.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-11-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
AndyMac,
Sweet profile pic.
Old    kidrik            03-11-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
We rode North of I-5 at 10a.m.-ish, and ran across maybe two boats in two hours.....I was wondering if it was the half marathon and/or boat show or what? No complaints here. Hey NATE, we saw your boat docked at Crawdad's!! All the slips were taken, and we were running a little late, or we would have waited around to say hey.
We yelled,"Yo Nate!".........and everyone turned... Did you have a good time? Once we hit the ramp, it was packed........so we hit it just right! Take care. And hell yes Andymac, it was incredible out! We had wetsuits, and started feeling guilty!
We're going Thursday, and will try a shorty with maybe a 1mm shirt? (yes shorts over!!!)
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-11-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
Rik, I saw your boat. I saw some guys cruzin by but I didn't hear you yell nate. I had a good time its a cool place to cruise around.

But my day left me stranded a pully or pump seized on my motor so I had to get towed in =(
Old     (klpnautique)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-11-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
The river sucks, don't ever go there.... Folsom Rules!!!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
Hey R.D how's the foot? INT starts end of May! And I concur go where Umali says.....But don't go to far up gets really shallow and a ton of snags!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-11-2007, 11:44 PM Reply   
actually, you'd be amazed how far you can ride up the feather!
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2007, 1:56 AM Reply   
1st of all the river doesn't suck. Folsom on a weekend with a thousand boats and three foot swells suck! I would tell you what parts of the river you will get butter, but then my water would suck. Keep trying the river and you will find your spot for you and your friends. PS... you dont have CRAWDADS, CHEVYS or or any other bar on the lake. Oh yeah, and the LOST ISLE on the delta is awesome on weekends and holidays!!!
Old    kidrik            03-12-2007, 6:08 AM Reply   
How can you say that ANY body of water you find that is butter to have a blast on sucks? R.D., personally I think your're being sarcastic, but if not, I'd love to hear why the river sucks? You're home "lake" sounds interesting?

Who gives a F where you ride, as long as your're having a blast, and lovin' this sport with family and friends. Hey Joe, aren't there some killer shots from the Umali projects (two of my favorite vid's to watch!) from the stretch of river by I-5? I recognized you guys launching from Discovery Park, and a couple shots just past the Virgin Stergeon(?)plus the beach just before the bridge! I want number THREE!!

Attila, I was surprised at the lack of debris!

Nate, now THAT sucks! Sorry to hear that man.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2007, 11:52 PM Reply   
The river sucks when there are too many boats and not enough room. Doesn't matter how good the water is if you cant enjoy it because of Idiots being unsafe! But that is the case anywhere.
Old    kidrik            03-13-2007, 5:15 AM Reply   
I couldn't agree more. If you're lucky enough to go out early, or during the week, which are more of the "off" times I was referring to in my first post on this thread, then it's usually not a problem. But just about anywhere on a crowded weekend in the middle of the day, you're going to find exactly what Jeff just said, "Idiots being unsafe!"........(hi-jack) Jeff, do you know Chris Dahler? (end hi-jack)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
Dont think it's ringing a bell? Any hints on where I would know that person from?
Old     (klpnautique)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-13-2007, 10:48 PM Reply   
Sarcastic, me? NEVER!!!! Dude, for the totally hot spot, wait until the Fourth of July, hit Berryessa, close to the bridge, sac it up, let out the line, and rip it!!!!

Ok, Sarcastic, maybe. Honest feelings about non river people on the river, truth!! BEAT IT!!!

See ya on Folsom, wait, no you won't.

:-)
Old    kidrik            03-14-2007, 5:14 AM Reply   
R.D., you're killin' me shmallz......!

Jeff, not sure how long you've been in Woodland, but he's a buddy of mine of about 21 years who was born and raised there, and is married to Shannon Roberts....? (way off subject- sister of Neil Roberts, who they had a huge ceremony for in Woodland after his passing in the war) They did a special on dateline, "Roberts Ridge"...Anyway, sorry for the run on.
To answer your question, he lives in Woodland,....
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
I know Neil and his brother were a couple years older than me and I think the sister was a couple younger. I've lived in Woodland since 1980.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
If your going to tell a friend about a place to launch and ride... send him a PM and don't post it for all the world to see...

Just my 2 cents...

All I have to say is watch out for snags. If you are not there with someone who knows the river it is only a matter a days before you will hit something. I did $7K of damage north of Knights and lost my boat for 8 weeks in the middle of teh summer. The river will cost you, it is only a matter of when!

UJ
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   

quote:

By UncleJessie (unclejessie) on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:59 pm:

If your going to tell a friend about a place to launch and ride... send him a PM and don't post it for all the world to see...

why not post it here? it could be what other norcal riders are looking for, and though wakeworld's pretty popular, the whole world doesn't have access to the river.

i understand that people are pretty protective of their riding spot, but it's there for everyone. plus, it's the river. let the boat go by, wait 5 seconds, the water's smooth again.

with all due respect, it's not like it's a secret spot anymore. that tag went away about 4-5 years ago.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
Hey Joe,

The use of the word "world" was an exaggeration... to mean everyone in the Sac town area... I know you knew that, though I'm not sure why you chose to comment on it.

We have lots of peeps in common, so I don't want to start a pe'ing contest.

The river, and everywhere else is getting WAY more croded than it used to be. I am ok with core riders knowing about certain spots, but when I am following a guy doing s-turns with a tuber for MILES on the river, it is frustrating. Waiting 5 seconds doesn't quite cut it.

Let the tubers and causual riders find there own spots and leave the awesome riding spots to those who really appreciate them. That's all I'm saying.

The 5 to 7 guys I ride the river with, some of whom are at least good aquainteces with you, all agree there are way more people than before, and are not thrilled about what it will be like in another 5 years.

I'm out.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
hey, don't get me wrong, i understand what you're saying. i used to love riding the river. but it's not like it used to be. "used to be" is the key phrase. it's not like i'm giving away some top secret info.
Old    kidrik            03-14-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
Wow. Am I missing something? A fellow wakeworlder submits a title of where to launch on the Sac river by old town to have a good time with his lady. He gets several suggestions, goes out, and has a good time....? Purpose served.

And the last time I checked, the 5 mph zones at Crawdad's and Old town weren't very good wakeboarding spots.......

I'm simply trying to help someone out,and yes, maybe end up riding the "same section of water" with them one day. Sorry I if I didn't stop to think of all the tubers and cruisers spying to get the quality spots.......I'll be more paranoid next time.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
I am a barefoot spy sent to infiltrate all secret wakeboarding spots...NOT! Half the fun of the delta is finding your own secret spot...even if thats under the Tower Bridge! I have been skiing some spots since 1983 that still do not see boats on 4th of july, the delta is a big place over 1000 miles of waterways...no lie.
get hal schells delta map or get the charts and explore...the places I am talking about have no facilities, no restrooms, no food, no people, no boats, when we broke down...the sherrif towed us in...
and if you do go up to verona listen to what was said...don't go right!! big sandbar 2 to 4ft depth...driving the river is not for the uninsured. he's a tip...Sacramento deepwater from the south end launch at arrowhead
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
eh, it's all good. i understand where UncleJessie's comin' from. i just thought i'd hook a brutha up.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-14-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
I think some people are a little to protective of there "secret spots".

Some of you guys need to ease up, its a sport and should be fun. When you get pissed about a fellow rider riding your water then you have got issues.

remember any day on the water is a better day then at work....

again thanks to everyone that gave me tips on where to launch.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-15-2007, 12:02 AM Reply   
Uncle Jessie were you the one that lost the rudder a couple summer's ago? I wanted to cry for you if it was! I see alot more people where I ride now then before, And I cringe everytime I see them moto through spots that I know are sketchy. And yes I think it is retarded to pull tubers on the river. I've seen way to many close calls with them and where I ride is way to narrow in my opinion.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-15-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff... that is me...my rudder is still probably on that log waiting for me to come and get it. It was north of Knights, well past the snag, 50 yds past a left turn, after a small beach on the left.

Listen, I only "suggested" to use a personal meassage (PM) as a form of comminication to the poster. I never said not to hook him up.

PMs are great...he gets his info, and the good riding location isn't posted on a public forum... that's all I'm saying.
Old    kidrik            03-15-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
F it........It's all good!
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-15-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I wasn't getting upset about people on the water. I am always down to meet up with people and boat around them. I was just saying that it is nice to have spots on the water where there are no other boats around so the water is butter. If you don't like having good water, then good for you.