Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-24-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
I'm getting my promo boat this week and it is waiting on me but I would still like to hear any advice that VLX owners have. Weighting?, Bow dip?, Stern dip?, cleaning advice? trailering advice, accessories, etc. any tips or advice would be nice.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
Full stock ballast, Wedge & 350 across the bow. The sac in the bow takes away the steepness the Wedge adds. The Bow & stern do not dip at all, you can still stuff the bow but would have to work at it. Cleaning advice = always do it! Trailering advice = Strap it all the way down. Accessories = All of them!! Have fun, you bought my favorite boat of the year.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
Alex I just drove a VLX on sat., very, very nice. If you got the Monsoon, you will always have enough power. I filled just the factory ballest and you couldn't tell it was even filled. For weight I was told this was the best. A 550 in each locker. A 550 in the center and a couple of 550's in the bow. The boat seems to like a lot of weight in the bow.
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
which tower do you guys like and why?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
I like the illusion, it has the forward swoop which is opposite of all the other towers which are backward swoop. It really matches the lines of the boat nice. But if you are going to have to put it up and down alot I would say the Titan III
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-25-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
Alex,

I could go on all day bragging about the VLX, but everything I say is biased. Only 2 things I don't like about it:

1) The location of the stereo under the armrest (but there are ways around that).

2) I can't take it to work with me

Other than that, it is a fantastic boat.

As far as the tower, I was considering the Illusion X at first, but after hearing how difficult it is to lower by yourself, limited racks, speakers, etc, I decided against it. I also got a bit tired of the looks, but that is all personal preference. That's why we have choices, right? I also compared the Titan III and the new Skylon made for the 05 VLX, side-by-side. The Skylon was MUCH sturdier, had better mounts, and in my opinion, looked much better. It folds down to the same level as the windshield, and can be done very easily by yourself.

If you are considering an 05 or 06 VLX, you will be very happy with it. Get out on a test drive, take a pull behind one, and you will be very happy with what you see.

Like I said, I am biased. I am also a very happy and satisfied VLX owner

Best of luck.
Old    bambamski            04-25-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
is this a 05?
Old    zboomer            04-26-2005, 6:33 AM Reply   
Don't recognize the graphics, color scheme, or color inside the Blade tower. Looks like an '06 maybe?
Old    penny4urthots            04-27-2005, 6:34 AM Reply   
Yup 06 is a good guess...

Folks remember that when you "DEMO" a boat with engine X and say that the ballast tanks at full capacity are not noticed, that you have NO GEAR, BEER OR PASSENGERS on board with you. The monsoon is a great engine model for MOST buyers but if you want true performance at ideal weight loads then you might want to think about going for the 400 HP Hammerhead. It's well worth the upgrade, especially in a 23 LSV. Take it from a guy who has done about 50+ DEMOs in this boat. I don't lie.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-27-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
The stock ballast and wedge is all you need! Great peaky wake or leave the wedge up and it's more rampy. It is as big as my 04 w/1800#! The Monsoon is all the motor you need for the VLX. I have had every version of tower on my past Malibu's and like the Illusion X the best.
Old    penny4urthots            04-27-2005, 11:31 PM Reply   
MIKE O have you ever even ridden in an 05 with a hammerhead yet?? I rest my case...
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-28-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
The hammerhead is a $5000 upgrade, at least when I checked it out. If their was a gas savings from the extra power like the 8.1L in the newer X-stars it might be worth it. But still and extra $5000 buys a lot of gas.
Old    penny4urthots            04-28-2005, 11:38 PM Reply   
Demo a hammerhead and tell me its not a COMPLETELY different boat as far as power, handling and acceleration. Take that demo with the boat loaded how you would typically load it with gear & people if you owned it. Then jump into the same boat with a MONSOON weighted the same way... I guarantee you will ask the salesperson where you have to sign for the hammerhead.

Another bit of info... To achieve this big of an engine upgrade in a Master Craft you would have to chew on a much tougher piece of fat than 5k. Thats even more good news for Malibu fans.
Old    zboomer            04-29-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
Hammerhead is not $5k upgrade.

Around $4k msrp on a VLX, $3400 or so on an LSV. It's less on the LSV because the Monsoon is the standard engine on that boat. Still a serious chunk of change.

With my typical load, 4-5 peeps, ballast full, the Monsoon is effortless and takes like 1/4 throttle to pull up a boarder. I just couldn't justify it, although it would have been nice.

There will always be those that insist you need more power, just the way it goes. I'll stick by my opinion that in a 21-footer, you'd really need be be running a ton of ballast, or 11 people all the time to really need it.

I can't remember a single time the Monsoon has made me wish for more power.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-30-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
Haven't their been problems with the hammerhead in the past? I've rode in alot of malibu's and never seen anyone with it but I've heard they have problems in the long run.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-30-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
I have heard the same Ryan, something to do with the heads I think....
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-30-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
from what I have heard, the HH had some problems last year. It also has more tq higher in the power curve, not really needed for wakeboarding though. Check out www.themalibucrew.com they know everything.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-30-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
The problems lie in the old hammerhead. That motor was essentially a hot 350Ci(5.7l) as compared to the new HH which is actually a 383Ci(6.2l). The problem with the old HH is that the fact a lot of the internal nuts and bolts were not tightened to proper specs. I am not a motor head by any means but essentially the parts that hold the valve stems in place were overtorqued therefor bending the valve stems after about 30-50hrs of use.

The torque curve on the new HH is much better for wakeboarding. It now actually produces more torque out of the hole than the Monsoon as well as all the way through the top end. The old HH did not have as much power out of the hole as the new HH or the Monsoon but at about 3200rpms and up it left the Monsoon.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-01-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
As Jason said,
I have owned two Malibu's and had the monsoon in both, and have been very happy. In my opinion the monsoons have alot of power and have really never needed anymore. I guess some people can justify it, but I would rather use the 4-5 thousand on something else.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-01-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
skibored or whatever, yes I have driven the Hammerhead, 8.1, and monsoon and The monsoon is plenty of motor. For an LSV I would recomend the Hammerhead. I get to drive them all.I just don't justify the upcharge