Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-22-2012, 5:07 PM Reply   
We were so tired of our 06 malibu VLX surging so bad with the malibu cruise control whenever we sacked it out that I was ready to tear it out and install a GPS system like perfect pass.

So I started to research it online when I came across a company that has a plug and pay conversion kit that disconnects the paddle wheel and replaces it with a GPS receiver. I was a little skeptical about it but after doing some research on the Malibucrew site I decided to give it a try.

Well all I can say is WOW dead on and holds speed way better when turning around now.

have a look at there site they make them for all types of boats.
http://nauticLaugic.com/

Just so you know I have nothing to do with this company just wanted to pass on the info on a product I was very happy with. Oh and it took my wake boarding son 30 minutes to install it and use it.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
Very interesting... I have a 2004 Malibu VLX and probably have the same issues that you were having. Except I guess i've learned to live with them. I've thought about doing this as well. How hard was it to install?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-22-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
It was very simple. My son just got under the dash unplugged the paddle wheel plugged in the box and ran the GPS receiver up on the dash. Done. Like I said my son put it in with no help and was riding in 30 minutes.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
Which version of the product did you go with? And does it correct the current speed(if the current speed setting is inaccurate) noticed that in the model selection yours and mine model year boat fell in the same model Nauti logic
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-22-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
You still calibrate it. We used a handheld GPS then adjusted the display to give the correct speed readout. The displayed speed was .5 off to begin with. The malibu owners manual shows you how to do this with the digital display not sure on the 04
We got the NL4-BU
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-23-2012, 4:57 PM Reply   
Yeah that's the same one its recommending for me as well. I'm gonna look into it definitely! I'm gonna also do some homework on the two different antennas they offer on that model
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-10-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
I just put one of these paddle wheel replacements from nauticlogic.com in my boat also. Great product, reasonable price and works awesome. No surging and smoother in turns.

Also great customer service! I accidentally ordered the wrong unit for my year of boat. They sent me a replacement unit at no cost and a prepaid label to send the wrong one back.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       05-11-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
I put one in last year in my old Epic which was equipped with PP. Installation is simple - it probably takes you longer to find a good mounting place when you screw it in than the actual hook up after that.

The 2 antennas don't really matter - you pay for the Garmin name more than anything else. I ultimately put mine on top of the dashboard so it had a clear view and was protected from the water overall - as said it's not waterproof but splash proof.

Once it's up - adjust KDW slowly - I no longer have the email from Nautic Logic - the PP started to act really weird when I adjusted KDW just all the way down etc. so asked them and got the proper instructions - basically go in increments of 20 and try it out until you have found the proper spot that it doesn't overshoot, keeps the speed in turns steady etc.

and what other said: awesome customer service - no doubt!!!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-11-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
Nauticlaugic is a good product. Works really well, better than the paddlewheel. Careful if you ride in currents such as rivers. GPS doesn't work so well there. For my uses, it works great.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-11-2012, 2:36 PM Reply   
I installed this last year on my 2000 SAN. It has worked great for me. I occassionally have it lose signal when going under a bridge.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-12-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
I'm going to give the NL5 a try on my X1. This will be the 1st Mastercraft cruise for them to use the NL5. If this works out it will save me a chunk of $ over purchasing the Stargazer. Sure hope it works out.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-12-2012, 7:16 PM Reply   
Ben thanks for the heads up on this product.......perfect upgrade for sure for me without having to buy an entire new system at premium $$$
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-12-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
Cary @ Nautic Laugic is a great guy and will make sure you purchase the correct model for your boat.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2012, 7:47 PM Reply   
Just installed it on my 11 VLX, I am going out this week for first time use. Will I have to do anything for adjustments? Carry told me speedo might have to be recalibrated? I was planning on bringing out a portable gps for speedometer accuracy.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-14-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
i just spoke to him,incredibly helpful. im hoping to do this to my 2011 tige as i keep crushing the paddlewheel
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-16-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
I just ordered one yesterday and it shipped yesterday! Carey was very helpful with emails back and forth and he even called me to confirm that my Faria gauges were the pitot tube style vs. paddlewheel. Cant wait to test it out as we ride on a private lake and are constantly turning at the ends.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-21-2012, 3:40 PM Reply   
I installed my NL4-Fa in the middle of the lake Sat morning in 5 mins. Turned it on and it worked great instantly,I don't think the initial sync took 30 secs,and the perfect pass works great in wakeboard mode (mph).Again Cary Joiner went out of his way to make sure I ordered the right model for my application.

Last edited by wakebrdjay; 05-21-2012 at 3:42 PM.
Old     (hgvandy)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-22-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
I could not agree more with what has been said. I have a 2006 Moomba LSV and had a lot of issues with the install because my connectors had gone bad. Cary helped me through the whole process, even though the problem had nothing to do with the NauticLaugic unit. Also, my paddle wheel was worn so my KDW and NN settings had to be brought way down from where it was. Once the kinks were worked out, it works like a charm. The syncing is way faster than what I expected and if you turn the boat off while changing skiers and turn it back on, it is almost instant. I have never had to wait on the GPS unit to get a signal and I love it. I can not recommend them enough.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-22-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Are any of you guys riding on a river with this? What are your thoughts?
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-22-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark197 View Post
Are any of you guys riding on a river with this? What are your thoughts?
Call Cary, he was looking for someone to test out there new hybrid version that uses the paddle wheel and GPS combined for rivers. The standard GPS would not be good for river use, the gps will not take into account for the flow of the river, your speed would always be fast or slow depending on which way you were headed on the river.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-22-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
I also just installed on my 2011 VLX, it seems to be working good. I only have a couple hours with it, however, I did not notice much of a difference in holding the speed compared to the paddle wheel. I also did not have the boat heavily weighted down. As others mentioned, a simple install, and no paddle wheel to be concerned about anymore.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
fman,did you change your filter settings when hooked to the paddlewheel?Try checking if your settings are at default.Mine now holds @+/-.2MPH.Holds speed in turn when weighted for surfing also.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-23-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
Thinking about getting one after seeing these posts. They offering any coupon codes or discounts on any of the boards???
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-23-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
fman,did you change your filter settings when hooked to the paddlewheel?Try checking if your settings are at default.Mine now holds @+/-.2MPH.Holds speed in turn when weighted for surfing also.
Just recalibrated my speedometer. Could you explain more about filter settings? Never have heard of this before.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
fman, sorry not sure you are running perfectpass,those are the settings I was talking about.If you do have PP they have instructions on their website.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-25-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
How did you guys attach the GPS puck? Glue tape etc.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-26-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
I used the velcro discs that came with mine and placed it on the gunnel next to the drivers area,works great and no holes in the fiberglass needed.Cary suggested this.I will post a picture.
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-25-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
Just installed this on the 2011 X25. Plug-and-play doesn't even begin to describe it. Unplug harness, plug in this module, mount GPS puck. Speed holds exactly and matched the speed on my portable GPS device exactly.

If anyone is on the fence about this product, it does exactly what it's supposed to and does it right out of the box.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
I got my Nautic Lougic a couple weeks ago and just as everyone has mentioned it holds speed within 1/10 of a mph with my boat weighted with 2500#. I can't beleive I waited to get this thing. The paddle wheel with PP was worthless and speed varied +- 1 mph and that is alot when boarding. The wake is very different at 2 mph, I used to have to listen to the engine to hear it come down in rpm so I could advance to the wake and get a normal hit. With the new gps I listen to the engine while riding and no matter what I'm doing it never changes in rpm's. Dead on accurate!!! Amazing! Just can't say enough about how happy I am with the steady pulls I get. Now ANYONE can give me a decent wakeboard pull.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-26-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
ok, today I put the order in for the plug n play GPS. And my 5 blade oj prop should be here any day. Pretty exited to make two big changes my boat. Will give a report once I install and put both to the test! Which will be around July 8th. . .
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-19-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
So the other weekend i installed the nautic logic A COUPLE HOURS BEFORE SCHEDULED MEET N LEAVING TIME. This thing is truly easy to install. It took me longer to follow/find the paddle wheel wiring than mounting the whole thing. Brought out a GPS to recalibrate the speed. After that it was smooth sailing! Double UPS were that much better, turns, turn arounds etc. only thing it didn't cure was the PP over shoot it does when getting on plane when pulling a rider. That was my only complaint but no biggie. Gas mileage is the same too. This weekend i get to try it out with my new oj 5 blade so we will see how the combination performs!