Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (NewWakeGirl)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-18-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
So I'm a female in my mid-thirties. Live in VA and was starting to think about a fall or winter trip to one of the Wakeboard camps or schools in FL. Thought like a four day thing would be good. Friend offered to do a club med in Mexico but I'm looking to go somewhere well known, but still be thifty! :-) Send me a line if you may be interested, we can keep in touch!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-18-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
The Boarding School comes highly recommended. The Wakeboard Camp is great too. But you cant beat the conditions over at Travis & Shaun Murrays TBS. The fall is a perfect time to go too.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-20-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
NewWakeGirl,

I'm mid 30's to and planning my first trip out to a wakeboard camp right now (for early spring when I can walk again) and considering the 2 lr3w8kbrder mentioned. They seem to be some of the best in the country.

Here's what I've found online so far and few questions I'm trying to answer.

TWC - full line up of liquid force board demos included, malibu boats, discounts at large board shop and a set at cable park, free shuttle from airport, full week is recommend on website Sun-Sat for ~1650, larger possible group.
TBS - hyperlite board demos (not sure if full line up), master craft boats, smaller group, set at cable park, you can pick food for house. It's harder to find info about TBS online, but Facebook is up to date. You can pay by the day or do a full week. Sun-Fri ~ 1700.

Does TBS have a full line of hyperlite boards to demo like TWC has of liquid force boards? Are discounts available if I want to purchase one?
Shaun and Travis are only there 2 weeks out of the month according to web, not sure on backup coaches, but sure they are top notch as well. All depends on tournament schedule.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-20-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
To answer some questions...

When I was at TBS they had Ronix gear as well (boots & boards in all sizes).

Discount at Performance Ski & Surf (my local shop anyways)

They have Travis's Xstar & Shaun Murray's 230...who knows by then they may have the new Xstar & G23 combo there.

Other coaches there included Kyle Rattray & Jeff Langley

Fall/Winter/Early spring are not their busiest of times so from my experience those two seem to be around more.

Feel free to hit up Travis...he'll answer any questions you may have. Hes a kickass dude.
Old     (supragirl)      Join Date: May 2011       08-21-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
I highly recommend The Wakeboard Camp. My husband and I went in May of this year and everything about the experience was top notch. I would recommend going for the whole week if you can swing it. It is well worth it. I was actually very excited as I got to ride with Haley Smith and see Amber Wing ride in person too. All the coaches at TWC were awesome but it was cool to get the woman coach for me as I don't get to ride with too many girls. I'm always the girl rider with all the guys except for my daughters who ride too! Good luck on your choice! I see you are in Virginia. So am I so if you ever want a pull at Lake Anna let me know.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-21-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
Travis posts a lot of pics of how glassy it is at the boarding school. So many I kinda thought they were fake. This is what it looked like while I was eating breakfast and having my morning coffee:

plenty of boards, great instructors, good accommodations.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
Both camps have plenty of qualified coaches.One thing to consider if your flying down.TWC is in Clermont a small town with Bars and Restaurants within walking distance.TBS is a little more off the beaten path,but the water is always glass.As for TWC it's on a lake surrounded by tall trees so you can always find smooth water.It's really a toss up and you can't go wrong either way.My wife and i went to TWC back in 2007.They taught us both plenty of drills,technique and proper body position.We have tried to share that knowledge with others.We are also from VA and boat at Lake Anna.Best of luck with your decision and above all have fun!
Old     (shags004)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-23-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
Is there anything like this offered on the west coast? Arizona preferably, or in southern Cali?
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-23-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shags004 View Post
Is there anything like this offered on the west coast? Arizona preferably, or in southern Cali?
http://westcoastcamps.com/
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-23-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
west coast camps but they seem more geared towards kids?

If you can get a cheap southwest ticket, FL isn't THAT bad, really. When we went first week of april, the water was 81* too!
Old     (NewWakeGirl)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-09-2012, 5:05 PM Reply   
What great info! THANKS!!!!! I may have to wait another year to do a full camp, but still considering Florida sometime, would like to extend some ride time if possible!!! Anyone know how the weather and water is at the end of Sep in FL? When do people start pulling out wetsuit?

Thanks!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-09-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWakeGirl View Post
What great info! THANKS!!!!! I may have to wait another year to do a full camp, but still considering Florida sometime, would like to extend some ride time if possible!!! Anyone know how the weather and water is at the end of Sep in FL? When do people start pulling out wetsuit?

Thanks!
Down here the water is still in the high 80s right now September 9th. Heater tops dont come out until November, wetsuits typically our coldest months Jan or Feb. water typically doesnt get colder less than 65 degrees in central FL.

Of course, Im generalizing but last winter was out warmest and I think I wore a wetsuit for one to two weeks, rest was heater top.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-12-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Sarah - West Coast Camps is geared towards kids in the peak summer season, but they also do all ages camps and you can set up private camps. Private camps are awesome... you set the dates, accommodations (they have a lake house or houseboats to stay on), and you spend the whole time with Mike Schwenne, one or more of his other coaches, and his awesome wife does all the cooking. I highly recommend it if you have a crew of 4-6 people you can go with to do a private camp
Old     (jamesruberti)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-14-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
The Boarding School hands down. I went out there last spring and had a blast. Great coaches- Travis, Shaun. Kyle Rattrey, Kyle Alberts, Josh Palma and Jeff Langley. They now have 2013 Ronix and Hyperlite boards. Great opportunity to demo. And to top it all off they just got their 2013 X-Star. Best wakeboard camp around. The private lakes are always glass.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-14-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   

No explanation needed...Travis & Shaun are by far the coolest guys around. You want to slalom too...no problem, there are 2 courses an they have a new MC 197 for that
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-16-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Maybe a dumb question but what about alligators and snakes, r they a problem in the waters of these Florida camps
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-16-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
Maybe a dumb question but what about alligators and snakes, r they a problem in the waters of these Florida camps
Nope...after living down here for 10yrs now, gators are just as scared of humans. Theyre more active during certain times of the day and yr. they dont like high traffic areas and need areas to hide, so if the areas are kept groomed you're ok. Sure we have snakes but we're not talking about the big pythons/boas, mainly racers, rat snakes and some mocassins (but those are in other states as well)
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-16-2012, 7:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Nope...after living down here for 10yrs now, gators are just as scared of humans. Theyre more active during certain times of the day and yr. they dont like high traffic areas and need areas to hide, so if the areas are kept groomed you're ok. Sure we have snakes but we're not talking about the big pythons/boas, mainly racers, rat snakes and some mocassins (but those are in other states as well)
i mean it was in the back of my head as well every time i hit the water in fl especially with the water clarity and 20 ft depth...
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-16-2012, 8:50 PM Reply   
Pretty scary, I would like to hit a camp and get better, just really have a fear of snakes and gators, a bad one
Old     (HayleySmith)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2012, 3:17 PM Reply   
Hi ladies,
TWC is running Ladies Week sept 31-oct 6 th, which might interest you. It's open to all ages and levels. There will be male students staying throughout the week, though there are a few things specific for the ladies.

Amber wanted to chance up the typical camp, and has added yoga sessions to start each day. This will be held on the camp beach, with a day of paddle board yoga also. Out on the boat, you will recieve two lessons throughout each day, in a boat with only female students and coaches.

We are also organizing a few evening activities, including a night out with a few of the female pro riders.

Amber Wing will be there all week, unfortunately I won't be anymore as I have to go back to Australia early , though there will be another top female coach lined up!

This is going to be such a fun week, I am upset I won't get to be apart of it this year.

If you can't make a full week, thats fine, it's possible to do single or two or three days.

Hayley
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-28-2012, 4:53 AM Reply   
Highly recommend The McElhinney Wakeboard School in Sequin Texas. Been going for 3 years now. Great instruction! Pat really knows his craft!