Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (lazysac)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-27-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Anybody who knows much about Malibu's, give me your opinion. I got a '06 V-Ride with triple ballast, wedge, fiberglass swim deck, racks, stereo, and other nice options. I love the boat, but I got an offer of $39k from an aquaintence to buy it. The boat is in great shape, and only has about 50 hours on it. I do like the new VTX though and wanted to see what you guys out there think. I'm not an advanced rider by any means. I'm a very novice boarder. I'm not doing flips and all that other crazy stuff. At this point its a $45k floating cooler, and something for my family to play on. Is it worth selling and paying another $10k more for the VTX? And don't bother trying to talk me into another brand, I'm very happy and loyal to Malibu. Thanks
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-27-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
If it is just a floating cooler to you I wouldn't spend 10k more. Foe that matter the VTX is smaller anyway. Don't get a smaller boat just cause it is newer.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
The VTX is a foot shorter, but has a 98" beam v's a 93" on the V-Ride.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-27-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
If your boat has a tandem trailer, board racks and tower speakers it would probably sell for 40-45 depending on shape and color up hear in Seattle.
Old     (alex2012)      Join Date: May 2003       03-27-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
From what I've seen the VTX would be a nice upgrade. I would get it out on the water before I put down another 10K
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
Last year I looked at the Vride and VTX. The VTX is bigger inside due to the larger beam and is an upgrade from the Vride. I think the ballast tanks underneath the floor was an option I really liked on the VTX which the Vride did not have. But, IMO, the VTX is not a huge upgrade. I can think of alot better ways to spend $10k than selling a Vride to buy a VTX.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
K C
how old are you?
do you have kids?

I have a sweet VLX set-up
all stock tanks plus sacs in the trunks that auto fill

I also have the power wedge and 500 lbs of pop bags if I want them

I will never be a fantastic rider
I do ok, gunna get my flip this summer!
but
I do have 2 kids

they get the privilege of growing up and riding behind one of the best wakeboats out there

their riding will be far and above mine was at any given age......I know that it won't be all because of the boat.....but

just another angle to think about
kids or no kids?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
Spend the extra 3k and get a VLX.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-27-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
KEEP WHAT YOU GOT! The "FUN FACTOR" is the same! You would just be adding to the debt and what are you getting? A newer smaller boat. I had a 04 VLX which is now the V ride and it was a great boat and wish I had never sold it. I got into that new boat thing and the fun was the same, but the payment kept growing.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-27-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
KC the VTX will feel bigger inside than your current Vride due to the wider beam as mentioned. I'd tell the aquaintance that you'd sell it contingent on making a deal on another boat. Go to the dealer and make the best deal that you can before boating season hits, or as you say Floating season for the way you use it. For what you use the boat for you will not use any of the uprade that the new boat will provide. If you just want a new boat then do it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-27-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
I have over 15 yrs of riding under my belt, do flips & rolls multiple directions & own an 05 Vride. I'm pretty sure I could sell it for more than $39k since Nada is over $45k & it's decked out with tons of extras.
But I wouldn't even think of trading up to a bigger cooler for $10k. I'd rather spend it on other things. Or save it!
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-27-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
for the record the vtx has much more room behind the windshield than the v-ride, the bow on the v-ride is longer but more narrow. If you want a new boat get it if not you got a good one.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-27-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
I'd keep the same boat

get your friend to get the more expensive boat~!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
I wouldn't go from a vride to a VTX, but a VLX or LSV would be worth the extra money. 39K is a good offer on your boat.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
im going to say its not worth your trouble you have a great boat that your happy with and you said it yourself, you dont ride alot. so your a family boater, thats all good. keep your boat and rack some hrs on it. if you want to step up, then go big and do your friends and family a favor and by a real floating cooler or should i say kegger, "247." keep us posted.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-28-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
VTX is an upgrade from your current boat---but both are great boats. The VTX has more room in the cockpit area. The VTX handles like no other---even with 3000lbs additional. Make sure you get the bow ballast if you get the VTX. After test dirving/riding the VTX, I was so impresssed, I ordered one!
Old     (lazysac)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-28-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Wow, thats a lot of feedback in a short amount of time. I appreciate you all taking the time to chime in. A huge factor would be if I could get a table in the V-ride. The vtx has one but my v ride doesn't. I'm just thinking it would be good for my daughter to have in case she needed to use it. Any fathers who think the table is useless or do you get a lot of use out of it?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-28-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
What would you use the table for? It's to high up for a kid to eat off of it, to small to change a diaper off of without worrying about the kid falling off. I've only pulled mine out once or twice using it to make sandwitches on that's it. Any other time it's in the way. I wouldn't get rid of your boat for a table.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
I have never used the table in my VLX. Ever. All food is prepared on the swimdeck where there is not a chance that it will get in the boat!
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-28-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
you can put a table in your v-ride easily, i'm sure it won't cost anywhere 10k either.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-28-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
All you need to do is cut a hole in the floor and screw the table mount down. Beware of the gas tank.
Old     (dtr)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-28-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
I use mine all the time when I take my whole family out but if it's just me and the boys I never use it. But like NU BU said that would be the cheapest way.
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-28-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
Disagree- The Table Rocks!!! No food in the boat people suck. No offense...All due respect

When you're done preventing food on the boat, go make sure the plastic on your couch is ironed.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-28-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
SELL IT!!!

Dealers are really hurting right now... TIge just laid off a whole bunch of people and dealers can't give boats away. WIth $39K cash, you can prolly get a smokin deal on whatever you want.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-28-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
If you decide to buy new boat, sell yours through the dealer! Have the dealer do the paperwork as if it were a trade and that will save you LOADS of coin on sales tax! Here we only pay tax on difference of trade. They should be happy to do so since you are buying a new boat!
Old     (lazysac)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-28-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
Ooh i like that idea mike. Great call on your part!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-28-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
5 inches of beam seems like getting 5 ft of length.
NuBu is right the VTX will feel a great deal bigger than your current boat being 5" wider.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-28-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
Use our table off an on depending on the crowd. Our Wakecraft uses this table system. Works great without having to have a hole in the floor or a bulky mount to stubb your toes with. Its only about 1/4 if that off the floor.

Table system http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=79554&pdesc=Sequoia_Table_Leg_System &cname=Tables-Grills&aID=12G&merchID=1009&r=view

Floor mount

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=76714&pdesc=Sequoia_Table_Leg_System _7_dia_Floor_Base_stainless_steel&cname=Tables-Grills&aID=12G&merchID=1009&r=view

Have a table top made or make one yourself and add a few cup holders and your done.
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-28-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
Any thoughts on a VTX vs a Falcon?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-31-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
KC...judging by your name, i'm guessing you are right here in KC. I can tell you as someone that bought a new 2007 V-Ride in KC a few months ago $39K is a good price for your boat. Depending exactly what you mean by stereo of course...

i can tell you someone could order a brand new 2008 like yours for about $44k, or if they could find a left over 2007 with no hours for about 39-40k.

With that said...even though i feel like you'd be getting a good deal on your sale for 39, i still don't think that upgrade is worth it. Unless you just got 10k back on your taxes and you can't think of anything else you want, i'd find a better place to put that money.