Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Any idea who builds the smart tab for Supra?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-24-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
Are you talking about who builds the plate itself or who developed/intergrated the smart plate technology?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Not looking for the developer per say I am looking for the company that supplies the electronics. They most likely are one in the same.
I am also sure that it all comes from one source but that is just an educated WAG
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       05-24-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
What's a "smart tab?"

RD
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
It is electronics control for a trim tab that will start with the tab all the way down for hole shot then adjust it to the riders preferred setting. Nice piece of technology.

http://www.supraboats.com/srs/index.html

there is similar tech for trim tabs for runabouts

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/autotab.htm
http://www.lectrotab.com/Products/Products_Controls.htm

What’s unique about it is designed around wakeboarding not cursing

(Message edited by krbaugh on May 24, 2007)
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       05-24-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Neat idea for wakeboarding fo sure.

RD
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-24-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Kevin, pretty sure it was developed by Perfect pass
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-24-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
I know it's all contorlled through the PP menu.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
So you have to have perfect pass for it to work?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
Kevin,

I'm not sure you need Perfect Pass, but I tested an '07 22 SSV yesterday and the system is very cool. You can set the tab for different riders, etc. Neat setup, no idea who makes it though. I don't think PP makes it though.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
It sounds like it works very similar to the Centurion Switch blade electronics.....Hmmm could come from the same place the switch blade also works with perfect pass
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-24-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
I had the idea independantly about 2 years ago and I asked the PP tech team if there was an output signal from the std WB pro box when the setpoint is reached to feed into my tab control box. They said no but were working on there own intergrated system to control the plate and speed, 6 months later smart tab was announced.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
Missed it by that much
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-24-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
I wasn't considering doing anything commercial just tinkering with my toy.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-24-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
Darren, does your 210 have a power trim tab?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
Kevin, does your 216 have the switchblade? I couldn't remember from the show. Also, do they have an Enzo up at the shop? I was thinking about stopping by the other day on the way back from Extreme but didn't see anything on the website so I didn't.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-24-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
Hi Sparky! No I had plans to add one but when I couldn't control it automatically I put it on the back burner.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-24-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
Here's how you'd do it.
Speedo has a voltage that will indicate the speed. When the voltage for the speed you want to set it at arrives you control a switch and relay that changes the trim and stops by a reading from the trim indicator. Same thing, a voltage changes it.
When speed drops to under 5 MPH the switch/relay kicks the trim down.
Now all you got to do is build a small circuit board to measure the readings and throw the switches. A couple of dial pots to adjust your settings and there you go.
Drop it in epoxy and slap a Wakeworld sticker on it.
It's getting cold down there Darren, you can do it!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-24-2007, 11:49 PM Reply   
Ok, so I checked it's a lot warmer in Auckland than it is where I am right now. But it will get colder...
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-25-2007, 5:41 AM Reply   
Funny... I hadnt seen this yet but I just finished doing a review of the new smart plate on Supras...
check it out...
http://midwestwakeboarder.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=109&post_id=627#forumpost62 7
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-25-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
THe plate is made by Bennet trim tab but the system is run and tied into Supra's new dash which the gagues and electronics are made by Medallion Instruments. The way I understand it Indmar, Medallion, Perfect Pass, Bennet trim tabs, and Skiers Choice all worked together on this system. And what a great one it is.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-25-2007, 6:16 AM Reply   
Midwest, I read the article, it's funny you mention the one "glitch" . I've noticed the same thing, sometimes it doesn't go all the way to 0%. I just thoguth the guage was not readign right??
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-25-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
That is what I have though as well, Like I said, no one has complained while/after riding, and I, at times have some very specific riders...I have tried to manually raise it the rest of the way and the gauge doesnt change, so I was assuming it just the sending unit that indicates the plate position!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-25-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Interesting what did indmar have to do with it.
I could see talking to medallion you need the speed input and Bennett you need to interface with there product and Perfect pass to program the different users but Indmar?? Plus somebody is manufacturing the module to interface with PP and medallion
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-25-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
Maybe not so much directly with Indmar but I do know Perfect Pass and Indmar worked together to make Supra's PP system. The trim tab is directly tied in with the Perfect Pass so I assume Indmar had something to do with it in there as well.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-25-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Well I have a little more info Indmar opend up the ECM memory for PP and the smart tab.....who knew

(Message edited by krbaugh on May 25, 2007)
Old     (goose)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Just to answer some questions....

We at Skiers Choice developed the system as Jon said by working with Perfect Pass, Medallion, Bennett, and Indmar. We actually have been working on it for over 3 years and are currently trying to patent the technology.

I am glad those that have used it have enjoyed it.

matt brown
Old     (goose)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
I will also address the "glitch" you were referring to....

The bennett sensor is not the most exact sensor. It does not always sense the exact same location. Also, each boat is different. Because of that, we actually designed a calibration setting so that each boat can be calibrated for the exact sensors on that boat. We calibrate each one here at the factory. In simple terms the calibration tells the system where 100% is actually at and where 0% is actually at. Then because the system is not actually super consistent the system never actually goes to these extreme values but gets close. If the system in the one boat only goes to 8 or 12 it may need to be recalibrated. However, if it goes to 1 or 2 that might be normal.

The recalibration is rather simple but we are recomending you have your dealer do that.

Hope that helps.

matt
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-25-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
I have not used it and don't own a Supra but a good idea no doubt! I can't wish you any luck on the patent thingy

Tell Dan Miller hay
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-25-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Matt...
The weird thing is it only happens occasionally. More often then not it goes all the way to 0, but occasionaly for whatever reason it stops at 15,12,8%, but like I said it seems like it is actually all the way at 0!
Old     (goose)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
I have never seen that glitch but also to be honest I never run with the wakeplate at 0. Have you tried setting it at 5 or 10 and seeing if the glitch is there also?? It may have something to do with the sensor not being super accurate and when it looks for exactly 0 it never finds it and then does something weird. I will do some investigating. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Thanks Kevin for the luck. hehehe Dan wanted to know when you wanted some more footing lessons!!
Old     (goose)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
Oh yeah I forgot.

I am heading to the house boat for the weekend so if anyone has questions about the smartplate feel free to email me at mbrown@skierschoice.com because I will not be checking this thread again until I get back next week.

Hope everyone has a great memorial day weekend!!

matt