Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-02-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
I totaled my 07 Silverado today, no one was hurt, and I now need to replace it. I have a '99 X-10 and doubt I will be getting a bigger boat anytime soon. I also drive about 150 miles round trip a day when I'm not towing so fuel economy is a big concern. I would like to keep it under $15k which will limit my choices, but I'd like to hear your suggestions. Oh, and it needs to seat at least 4.

Thanks
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-02-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
Damn bro crazy! Glad u are okay! Sucks I loved your truck!
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-02-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
I know its not in your 15k budget, but if your concerned about fuel economy and still want to tow. The new F150 has a twin turbo v6 option that gets killer mileage and hauls everything under the sun. I currently have a 08 Sierra 1500 and if I was shopping for trucks right now that would be the one.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-03-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Saw the pics of the accident on FB. Glad you're okay Jon, that was a crazy wreck.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-03-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Still have that CTS for sell?
Old    SamIngram            11-03-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
Still have that CTS for sell?
That would be "for sale"... sorry that drives me nuts...

Let me sum up how this thread will go...

1. You need a diesel.
2. You need to get a Toyota, they build the greatest truck of all time, nothing even comes close. Hell, the new models even have a coffee maker in them.
3. You need the Allison transmission, it's the best.
4. You need 4WD, even if you live in SoCal and it doesn't snow or rain...
5. You need at least 22" rims.
6. The Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes Benz are the best tow vehicles...

So in summary, you are going to have to build your own tow vehicle.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
NIce post Sam! You definitely summed it up!

Why not another Silverado?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-03-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Do yourself a favor and do some mileage and cost calculations before you buy your next vehicle. I live with my 5.3L powered Tahoe and Silverado because they are cheap and get reasonable mileage. I can tolerate the towing challenges when I tow. Sure I would love to have a 500ft.lb.+ towing machine but it mostly sits in front of my house so I don't want that much coin depreciating on the curb in front of my house without good reason. If I was hauling a 5th wheel and boat that would be a good reason and I would have a nice diesel rig sitting there instead. I just bought a rental return Enterprise car for cheap. I bagged my desire to own a nice BMW and bought a cheap commuter that I will share (and beat) with my nanny. A $11k 2009 Pontiac G6 GT is what I grabbed and I am thrilled with the utility of this vehicle. At the sale I saw several rental return late model trucks coming off fleets. There were some great deals on late model trucks within your price range. That's probably where I would start looking.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-03-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
Let him decide what the h3ll he wants to buy! He just let go of a NNBS Silverado and he know's how it tows. He's already said he's not going bigger so he pretty much knows what he wants.

No Jon, I traded the CTS-V off.... ON A DIESEL TRUCK! Even if I didn't own a trailer, and had no need for a truck, I'd still own a diesel. Mine gets 18 mpg unloaded, and once it gets $600 worth of parts, it'll easily get 20-21 and drives just the same as a 1/2 ton truck. That fuel economy is better than most mid-size SUV or full-size 1/2 ton trucks. That's what works for me, and I'm not saying anyone should buy anything, except for what makes them happy.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-03-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
I'd take a look at used Avalanches. It is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned/been in. Gets decent gas mileage, rides like a dream since it is on a SUV chassis. The lockable storage compartments are freaking awesome. If you need to haul something bigger you can lay the backseat and midgate down and have an 8ft bed.
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-03-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
one word... UNIMOG!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S4...erg-chebbi.jpg

And for the record, this is the worst idea ever.
Old     (arrydjay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-04-2010, 1:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post

Let me sum up how this thread will go...

1. You need a diesel.
2. You need to get a Toyota, they build the greatest truck of all time, nothing even comes close. Hell, the new models even have a coffee maker in them.
3. You need the Allison transmission, it's the best.
4. You need 4WD, even if you live in SoCal and it doesn't snow or rain...
5. You need at least 22" rims.
6. The Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes Benz are the best tow vehicles...

So in summary, you are going to have to build your own tow vehicle.
Definitely agree with you here....

Just got a new Cayenne to tow the boat with...Its fantastic, the diesel is unlike any diesel I have driven before...Has so much power and is completely silent, all you can hear is the turbo whine...
Great car..
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
Sorry, I never know witch won too use.

Old    SamIngram            11-04-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrydjay View Post

Just got a new Cayenne to tow the boat with...Its fantastic, the diesel is unlike any diesel I have driven before...Has so much power and is completely silent, all you can hear is the turbo whine...
Great car..
But did you swap out the transmission for an Allison? If not, I heard the guys over at Advanced Adapters is working on a bolt on kit.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-04-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
Tundra. The truck that's changing it all!
Old    SamIngram            11-04-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeach View Post
See... you get this in every thread.. Toyota this and Toyota that... not to mention the built-in coffee maker...

I don't care how wonderful they are, I'm not buying one... not to mention all the safety recalls over the last year...

If I buy used I am buying a Dodge 12 Valve Cummins.... like the one I have. No computers, no nothing. It can run without any electronics at all... and will run for 1,000,000 miles...

If I buy new I am buying a Ford.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-04-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrydjay View Post

Great car..
The Cayenne doesn't have a Diesel option in the US, but the Cayenne Diesel features the same VW motor that's in the Touareg. Pretty sure the OP would have trouble finding a used V6 gas Touareg for under $15,000 US, let alone a V8 or V10d with an Air Suspension.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
...just not for the better.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
Total hijack but I need this as my new tow rig:
http://sportruck.com/events/sema-sho...h-hall/324.htm
Old    SamIngram            11-04-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Total hijack but I need this as my new tow rig:
http://sportruck.com/events/sema-sho...h-hall/324.htm
Is it just Raptor parts moved over to the four door? It was bound to happen...

That new V6 looks interesting... and V8 and V10's it will spawn... mucho torque and horsepower...
Old    SamIngram            11-04-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
You need a van... this is on eBay... you can build one for under $15K without the 4wd...
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
It's the new raptor crew cab which comes out in the spring I think.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
They're gonna be running the Raptor in the Baja with the V6 twin turbo, should be a nice little test for it.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
Looks like I'm going with a '92 GMC 2500HD with the 6.5 turbo. Anyone know how to give that engine a little more power?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-04-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
Hey jon u have seen my Titan. 10,000 lb towing capacity, crew cab, tranny cooler, 385lb ft and very reliable. Got it w/ 46000 miles for 14,500 with 50,000 miles left on the extended warranty. I know u are opposed to foreign things tho haha
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
10,000 lbs? Really? The GMC is going to be almost free. I'm looking for a TDI Jetta to drive back and forth to school.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-04-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
Good choice Jon.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-04-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
That was totally my idea Jon! Do I at least get some free BBQ or something?
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-05-2010, 4:49 AM Reply   
That van is pretty sweet, I may need to backup and punt.

Just let me know when you are coming Adam, BBQ is on me.