Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-13-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
I finally determined the location to mount my amps in my boat. Against the gunnel behind my trim peices. The thing is I want to know the best way to mount the board since I know I can not go the screw in rout. I did do some research but am not sure what may be the best way to do it. I dont want to tak off all my trim because it will be a beast to do it.
I attached to pic of the location I want to use, and am looking for any and all suggestions.
Thanks again for all the help.
Attached Images

Old     (HateAndPain)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-13-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Grant did the same thing on his Nautique. He made blocks with studs in them, cut out the carpet and glued the blocks to the gunnel. I'm not sure which adhesive he used so maybe he will chime in. The thread is archived but its been a while so I'm not digging for it.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-13-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
I've heard that people have used Gorilla Glue to adhere the blocks to the gunwhales....
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Is it possible to use any existing hardware (like the underside of a cleat) to attach it to? You could just buy some L brackets and attach one side to the board and the other side to the bottom of the cleat.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-14-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'll have to check on the cleat idea, but it looks like i will have to go the glued block rout, just need to know what adhesive to use. I also know pwople have used cutting boards, just need to know where I can find an 16 or 18 by 24.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-14-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
Look at the scrap cutting board pieces on this site:

http://www.trippplastics.com/product...s.asp?catID=33
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-14-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for the link. I found some at Big Lots, $7 for a 12x18 but they were maybe 1/4" thick so I am thinking that is too thin. Should be able to find something on that site though. The cleat Idea wont work on my boat since the gunwal is to curved.
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-18-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
Found an old thread titled ("How to" Amp racks) and found these pics. He basically glued blocks to the side wall and then bolted to the blocks.
Attached Images

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-18-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
I read through that thread and PM'd Grant who gave me some great info. Bad thing is I now have to get a new axle for my trailer since I have a bad spindle from a bearing blow out last year and I lost an anchor in the lake yesterday, so the stereo will be on the back burner a little longer. Ughhh!!!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-18-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
What kind of glue is best?
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-19-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Grant emailed me and said he used Bondo Glass. I havnt really looked into it yet, but I was planning on just using some Goop contact sealant that I found at Big Lots. Not sure if I will actually use it though. I also want to know what kind of resin you coat the wood with to waterproof it.
Old     (gdavid)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-19-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
3M 5200 Marine adhesive caulk is incredibly strong and bonds well to fiberglass. The only thing you have to worry about is not making a mess and hope that you never have to remove it.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-19-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
That is why Grant suggested or used Bondo Glass. He said you can remove whatever you glue down by prying the back of it and popping it off. Although I would be a little nervous about prying against the Fiberglass of the hull.