Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
Another leader in the inboard MFG is hurting. A friend of mine was laid off at CC today along with 100 others. He told me thats on top of the 180 that has been laid off already in the past few months.
They are down to building 5-6 boats a week with apprx 90 employees left.
This is another damaging blow to our sport. I wish someone could wave a magic wand and make all this go away.
My friend has worked at CC for 20+yrs and has a couple of kids as well. My thoughts and prayers go out for him and all the other families that are in the same situation.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-12-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
sure you aren't gloating that there's now a chance to post up some bad news on CC, in contrast to those last couple of threads on MC?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
or he is just throwing out info trying to let people be in the know....

I think everything is covered now. good.

That stinks, I feel guilty not buying our CC new... If this economy keeps up our only choice for a wakeboard boat will be Chaparrel or Ranger bass boats.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
None of these manufacturers should be making any boats right now unless they are pre-sold.
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-12-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
That's bad news. This is brutal.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
nu bu how do you keep employees if you stop making boats?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
Easy you build only those boats that are sold. You won't have as many employees in bad times but you will also be in business in the bad times.

Look at MC for example, you can't build boats and jam them down dealers throats. That's why they are going under.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
5-6 boats a week I bet is as slow as they can go. I guess its tough to decide to lay people off vs making more boats then are needed but keeping valuable employees. I doubt any mfg will sell the numbers they did in recent years as so many boats were bought on equity lines.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
I would rather stay in business with only a few employees than keep the employees and going out of business. This is one of the reasons I can't stand unions.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
I know I feel terrible for every one of those that have been laid off in the boating industry or otherwise. Unfortunately it was probably an unsustainable bubble like most of every other part of any industry as we're seeing.

In the boating industry who know's who will be left standing. They have all laid off a vast majority of their workforce.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
NuBu, MC is not going under they are building appx 5 a day that are pre sold only. Which I believe is more than anybody right now.
You probably need to worry about your namesake before you start talking about MC going under.
Or should we call you NuAxis now?
I really dont think this is funny, there is a lot of people/families in this industry going through hard times.
And JB No I'm not gloating.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Billy I've heard it outside this forum that they are going under. I believe the person who told me, hopefully they are wrong but they haven't been wrong about anything else they've ever told me was coming down the pike.

If you have to rely on trying to insult people to make you feel better, fire away.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
Likewise dude.
There is nothing you would like better than to to see MC go under.
Old     (4x4chevyguy)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-12-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Well it is nice to see all you so happy about master craft and nautique. You must all own malibu boats. I know over the past 3 year the boat mfg have had a hard time due to the eco. I dont understand why you all think it is cool to talk bad about the boat mfg layoffs. Just put your self in that boat and ask how you would fill about it. I know Time are hard but to talk and lafe about something that hurt not only workers but boat to. What do you do if all of the inboard mfg go out. o ya you dont care about that. Just rember all of the people that have lost jobs have kides to just rember that.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
wow that blows. tomorrow I'm gonna head to my dealer to purchase a few small things, just to give them a sale or two.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
malibu & moomba are killing mastercraft in sales, ya right.

Is that right Nubu? hows bU doing since you have all the hookups in the industry?

(Message edited by canecorso on March 12, 2009)
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
Watching all the bashing of brands reminds me of what went on with Hyperlite back in the day. People jumped on the bandwagon to bad mouth them every chance they got just because they were the number one wake company. It is bad for the sport of wakeboarding/waterskiing all around for these companies to lay off employees/halt production/fail etc. I don't see where the joy in that comes from.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
WOW! I do not own either of those boats, but it is still sad for the companys. I wish them the best and I hope they can figure out some way to keep there employees going and still make sales. I know personally Centurion East is putting out about 3 - 5 a week only. But they are still trying to find ways to keep production going.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
christy is right!!

some people eh..
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-12-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
Pootie- they could keep production going by lowering the price.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
... another day, another pissing match between brands.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
Billy, I don't want to see any mfr go under, not even MC. What makes you think I don't like MC anyways? Do you remember I demo'd an 08 X-15 to buy? I don't think MC would go under, just change ownership somehow.

rG, not sure what you're talking about with the sales comment. Anyways I hear Bu is down to about 50 or so employees total, not sure how many boats they're building.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on March 12, 2009)
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       03-12-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
I don't get it either...why does anyone on this site want a certain boat manufacturer to go under? I have a Malibu but I love checking out all of the other brands at the boat show and when I see them on the lake. I never have understood the bragging about x boat being better than y. Any company that is going out of business is bad for the sport that I love imo. Seems to me that the more manufacturers there are, the better the competition, advances in technology, etc. etc..... I mean if it wasn't for Correct Craft we probably wouldn't have towers...Malibu came up with the wedge...which led to the switchblade....Mastercraft put the first picklefork in a wakeboat....companies like Epic are trying to cater to core riders....I could go on and on. I wish all of the manufacturers would be successful. The economy is hurting all over and I get no joy out of seeing established companies go under. I wish the media would ease up on the doom and gloom a little because I feel like they are in part driving the hysteria we see on wall street. Folks aren't going to feel comfortable spending cash as long as they believe the sky is falling....
Old     (4x4chevyguy)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-12-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
TIm right on. The swithblade was done by session firs. any was you are right tim and all the people think it i funney i dont find it a bit funney at all . It like califronia is about to fall in to the water lol. well all i can say is if you want to see the boat shope close keep up with all the bad new on the eco and dont think it funney when people lose there jobs. It your life and there That are geting wasted.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-12-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
this just goes to show you how people can be really jealous and revel in a demise of a company or a person. its very sad because theirs good people loosing jobs. people feeding families with the pay checks they get.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-12-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
Well said all eyez. For as much as the Malibu etc. guys love to use the Mastercraft cool-aid line, and for as much as I love my MC, I would never be happy that a competitor is hurting. Families are affected as is the sport we collectively all love. Less Tournaments, less sponsorship etc. I for one am tired of these threads and I wish they would all be taken down. The attitudes are never good. How about a few more "my new boat" threads.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
Start one up! I'll have two boats to add end of April. One for me and one for my neighbor. Can't wait to take delivery.

IMO, it's negative across the board. Threads on just about every forum seem to be more negative these days.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
I don't think anyone really wants to see companies go down. I think it's just defensiveness. Someone posts some info, an opinion, whatever about boat brand X. Someone who owns and is really into boat brand X gets defensive about it and in return knocks boat brand Y (the brand of the OP). The OP or someone else who owns boat brand Y gets defensive and makes a cut about brand X saying they copied the dumb idea of brand Z. Brand Z gets defensive and joins the frey...

The rest of us just eat popcorn & watch.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
Freshtracks - lowering the price is one thing, but you have to consider what is the cost of the supplies that go into these boats that make the cost rise. Plus these companies have to keep up with the employees taxes, healthcare, OSHA, etc... Yes, I am sure they can cut corners, but cutting corners is not always the best. That will degrade the value of the boat. I rather pay for quality than quanity.

Andy G. I hope you did not take my post as a pissing match. I hope no company goes under. If we only had one boat builder, then no one would have any reason to rag on the others that have brand X.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-12-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
its just funny how the threads started with a mastercraft owner posting how malibu is going under. then a cc guy started the mastercraft going under thread and this thread started by a guy who owns a mastercfaft. if you guys are really concerned. start a mastercraft, correct craft and malibu thread to donate money to those people who lost their jobs.
Old     (4x4chevyguy)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-12-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
all eyez well said man i could have done it better. All of you need to stop and think it not me and u it all of us that will not have service, a place to by boats or gare just think about that for 1 min Make you look at the big pic dont it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-12-2009, 6:01 PM Reply   
^^^ what the hell did he just say?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
^^^^^Somebody please translate...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
Holy hell.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
Least it lightened the mood on this thread.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Ill try to translate wakeking's post, I have a degree in jive.

all eyes, well said man. I could have done it better (I believe he meant to say, "I couldn't have done it better").

All of you need to stop and think it's not me OR you IT'S all of us that will not have service, a place to BUY boats or GARE??(I have no idea what this means, but I want to say that he meant to type GEAR)

Just think about that for one minute. MakeS you look at the big picture, doesn't it?

....Hope this helps his argument.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-12-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
competition keeps prices low. the more companies making boats, the better it is for us. if there is only 1 company making boats, do you think they will sell boats at low prices?
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
wish wakeking had a profile pic, best laugh i've had in a while.
Old     (nellie)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-12-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
You're right. I don't read this site much, lately, and when I saw this thread and who posted it I guess I felt it needed some fair and balanced reporting. I did a little scrolling and saw that it has already been posted in another thread, so I'll delete my original posting.

(Message edited by nellie on March 12, 2009)
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
^^^ what was the point of that? this thread got heated and then everyone kind of cooled off. why did you post that nelson? to see it get heated again?
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-12-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
good question malibu. nelson, that article is from February. already been posted on other threads numerous times. do you know any company NOT laying off people?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
"wish wakeking had a profile pic, best laugh i've had in a while."

I think this is him.

Upload
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
And I think everyone is getting too worked up over the layoff thing. Yeah, it's not good news, but do you know who else has had layoffs lately?

Google, Microsoft, IBM, AT&T, American Express, Catepillar, GM, and the list goes on and on. So every industry is being affected, not just WB boat builders.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-12-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
Jeremy - Degree in JIVE! Rock on bud. Funny stuff.

chevy guy has some fat finger syndrome, but he is OK in my book.

As far as the hate for other brands, grow up children. MC and CC helped create this crap (we call wakeboarding).
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-13-2009, 4:15 AM Reply   
I mean if it wasn't for Correct Craft we probably wouldn't have towers...

Probably wouldn't have MC either.These two companies need each other. On that note, how many of you know that CC already filed for bankruptcy twice in the past? That's right, filed twice back in the day and recovered to move on. One of only a few companies to file for protection,restructure and then REPAY all previous debt. Twice.

Now is not the time for haters.The boat industry is in big trouble. We all need to support each other and their brands. These threads are getting old.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2009, 5:01 AM Reply   
What gets old is people bitching about these threads. It is industry news, nothing more, nothing less.

A lot of people on this board have an ostrich mentality, if I don't hear about the events, they are not happening.

The RV and boating industry will be hit that much harder than the general due to floorplan financing and consumer credit crunches. Couple that with ridiculous Kalifornia regualtions, housing market bubble and unemployment and you have pretty close to a perfect storm..
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-13-2009, 5:12 AM Reply   
exactly, and thats why these threads are getting old. these threads do no good for the industry, wakeboarding, or employees of these companies. every industry is in trouble right now, the country is in trouble right now. if you dont know that, you must be an ostrich. no one can predict the future or what is going to happen to any of the manufacturers. there is no sense in speculating or what if-ing any boat company. and its bad karma.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-13-2009, 5:42 AM Reply   
It sucks to see these companies hurting, but to say one is better than the other or to be happy if one went out of business is crap. I dont care what boat you have its your opinion on whats better. I have an 86 supra. shes old and worn out and someday I would love to have any new boat. MC, bu, SAN, moomba, ect. I hope the boating industry can stand strong and rebound.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
It does stink. For the health of the sport we need to hope that they all survive. Competition is what makes the industry strong and innovative. Then you have to consider the events. No one manufacturer can support all of the events. MC has the PWT. CC has the wake Games and Nationals. Supra with the Worlds. What will happen to these events if the manufacturers cant support the events? Lets hope they all survive. Everyone GO BUY A NEW BOAT!

(Message edited by roughrivermike on March 13, 2009)
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-13-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
could the site admins do us a favor?

setup a blog for wakeking (4x4chevyguy) - this guy is freakin hilarious. i'd love to hear his thoughts everyday. in my head i picture the cajun guy that Adam Sandler is always bumping into in the Waterboy movie.

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on March 13, 2009)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
^^^^"U kan du ittt"!!!!!!!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-13-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
I must not be easy for CC to pay for that big new facility on 6 boats a week.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-13-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
^^^Doesn't CC still get a large amount of royalties off of the tower patents? Not that it will keep them in business, but I know they use to get inflows from royalties about two years ago.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
I own a malibu but would totally own a CC or mastercraft because I like certain things about each of them....

(I personally _hate_ the carpet in my bu cause its a PITA to clean vs having drop in)

that being said - its all bad news and _gasp_ no matter what emperor obama says, its gonna get worse. dow jones = 4800 or bust. Callin it here.

Lets not beat horses here, my friends...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-13-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
"in my head i picture the cajun guy that Adam Sandler is always bumping into in the Waterboy movie."

I see it more like the same guy but in Joe Dirt.

Old Cajun Man: [In a muffled back water accent] Home is where you make it.
Joe Dirt: What?
Old Cajun Man: Home is where you make it.
Joe Dirt: You like to see homos naked?
Old Cajun man: Home is where you make it.
Joe Dirt: Oh.
[Walks away]
Joe Dirt: Guy likes to see homos naked, that doesn't help me.