Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-20-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
Well I've somehow managed to slice a 3 to 4" gash in my brand-new ONeil drysuit. I've got the patch kit that came with it but no glue.

My question is - what kind of glue would be the best to use and do I patch on the inside, outside or both to seal it properly?

Me needs to get back on the H2O!!!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-20-2004, 4:11 PM Reply   
I used a bicycle tire patch on two different drysuits. One was about a 3" gash. I patched inside and out and it worked perfect. one was on the rubber seal and one wasn't.
Old    chris_newrider            01-20-2004, 4:15 PM Reply   
If patching once patch the inside. If you can patch the outside as well. The glue you need is Weld-On # 1784 vinyl adhesive.

Call USIA. They make a patch kit that even comes with a video. The kit has a 14" x 14" piece of nylon fabric, glue, brush and instructions.

Chris

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-20-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
What glue is safe to use on the seals?
Old    chris_newrider            01-20-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
You can use the Weld-On 1784 for the seals also. If in doubt, check with your manufacturer (Bare, USIA, etc). I happen to have a USIA brand and they're support was great, and they didn't ask me if my suit was one of theirs.

Chris
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-20-2004, 5:31 PM Reply   
The seals are latex. Do not repair, replace them. Several catalogs have kits that are inexpensive and easy to follow instructions.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-20-2004, 7:25 PM Reply   
OS Systems sells PB-300 Drysuit adhesive. I just bought some as I intend to replace my ankle seals soon. it is expensive though, $20. www.ossystems.com
Old     (d_o_double_g)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-21-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
I've heard bubble gum and duc tape work wonders!!
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-21-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
mike at shuswap sent me to a local dive shop for glue to fix a seal. they sold me some aqua-seal, i think. its a rubbery adhesive that did the trick perfectly.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            01-21-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
Does anybody know if you need to treat the suit with anything to make it last?
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-21-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
On my O'Neill, I was told to treat the arm & leg seals with a conditioner to keep them soft (the neck is neoprene).