Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (sforbes1)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-16-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
I am a shortline skier/barefooter and want to get into wakeboarding. Considering purchasing a 1990 Mastercraft Tristrar 190. I'm concerned because Mastercraft no longer builds this boat. Is it a DOG? Does anyone know of any problems with this design, etc.
Overall, it's in great condition for a boat that is 17 years old! Normal wear & tear, Indmar 250hp engine rebuilt with 300 hrs, Fresh water only, dry storage. It has a wakeboard tower installed, boat cover, new tires on trailer. A great deal for $9900.00.
From what I have been reading, I'm guessing this is a great boat for wakeboarding but BAD for the slalom course.
Good deal or should I steer clear?
Thanks!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-16-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Scott, I have never boarded behind one, but I have HEARD that they will produce a decent wake when loaded down. I am not so sure about the slalom wake though. You would be better off getting a 205DD, or an old Nauty 2001. The price sounds a little on the high side as well.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-16-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
I have one and it has been a great boat. I mean not even one in last 3 yrs.Slalom i have no idea wake is decent with no weight somewhere to start for sure.If it's an open bow price isn't bad.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-16-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
It sounds like a good deal on a pretty good boat. I sold my without a tower and more hours for 9,500 this past summer.

The boat will throw an okay wakeboard wake with weight. The wake will by no means be huge it's a good beginner wake that you can learn alot off of. It's better than a i/o but not as good as the prostar 205. I didn't spend much time behind the boat slalom skiing but the opinions i've heard from others are that it's got an okay slalom wake but definately not as good as the prostar 190 of the same year.

As far as complaints, the only one I had was with the molded platform. It made putting a board on almost dangerous and if you loaded the boat down stopping without soaking the backseat passengers was tricky.

Overall I really liked the boat, we had it for 3 years and had no major problems. The engine ran great and it was a good all around boat.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-16-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
I don't feel like posting the pics at the moment so check this other thread. I think it had a great wake for a direct drive ski boat. http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?p=922330#922330
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-17-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
The wake is steeper than the MC Prostars from that year which is good. The prostars are nice but very rampy and need lots of weight in the back to make them steeper. Still will have a great slalom wake. There is nothing wrong with the design. I agree that the price is a little steep. Offer 7k and wait while you check out other deals. It probably isn't going anywhere soon for that price.

(Message edited by rmcronin on January 17, 2007)
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-17-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
I had one and it took a long time to get mine dialed in. But a new ACME 943 prop and about 2,000-2500#'s and the wake is huge and nice. These boats don't corner tightly like some inboards.

I loved the built in platform, but yes becareful and be sure to turn when slowing. Easy to dip the nose also. It does have a nice small wake for slalom when unweighted......I guess that sums it up. With the proper prop, and the appropriate weight you can do what ever you want with it and the wake is nice. Just play with the weight placement and amount. Check my profile pic.
Old     (kogswell21)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-17-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
Yeah pretty good boat to learn on. I have about 500# of lead and 700# of phat sacks. We had 7 people in the boat and the wake was nice. Iam a begginer and loved the wake. Although I have out grown it my kidz still like it. Check my profile pic. I do have pics of the wake, just need to findit..