Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (kvkev)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-21-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Yesterday while cruising at 35 mph the engine started to sputter so I backed off the throttle and it cleared up. went back to 35 and after a minute or so did it again.I have throttle body injection. Has anyone experienced this problem before? any suggestions? Thanks!!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-21-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
first things that come to mind is bad gas(maybe water in it ?),maybe there is a restriction in the water line somewhere IE strainer or impeller because some new boats will not let you excelerate and will try to keep you under a certain rpm when its getting a temp rise,OR

worse case scenario is the obvious a clogged or restricted jet in the fuel injector ..

Im no mechanic so just throwing out things to look for.

so you can add a bottle of water absorb and a can of fuel injector cleaner through the gas,chack the strainer and impeller for starters...

If it doesnt help bring it to the shop...
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-21-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Things that I would check. Fuel pressure (Would also current ramp the fuel pump but few people know how nor have the tools). If you have not replaceed the water separator/fuel filter it would be a good time, but also drain it into a clear glass and see if there is water in it (Always store your boat, even for a week, with a full tank of gas). Spark, on a scope under load or at least under a snap throttle test. All spark plug connections should be removed and inspected for corrosion, and that would be a good time to ohm check them. Pull the plugs and inspect them.

How many times did it act up? What Bill is talking about is a safe mode that can be brought on by many different things. It cuts the cyliinders which may seem like a missfire, but it is just keeping the RPM's down. They may or may not be what is happening though. So as you slow the boat down did it keep missing or did it clear up when dropped a couple hundred RPM? How does it do on a full throttle acceleration? How many hours on the boat?
Old     (kvkev)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-21-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Went back out today and it ran fine for the first two sets and then the sputtering started. I checked the strainer and the impeller and their good. I think that a 6 gallon gas can I have with about a gallon of 2 stroke oil mixed 50/50 and accidentally filled it and put it in the boat. Im going to empty the fuel tank and refill with a fresh tank of mid grade gas and see if that does it. Peter to answer your ?'s it sputtered all the way back to sitting still and came up on plan for a minute and fell back again and again. 220 hrs