Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-13-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
I'm in the process of buying a new digital camera for this summer. In my searching, for cheap/good deals, I came across this website. I found, what seems to be, an awesome price for what I want, but... It seems too good to be true. I asked Antbug if he knew of the website, and if it seemed legitimate. He said he had never heard of it, and that it was a good price, but to be careful in choosing them.

So, I wanted to ask if anyone of you knew of this site, or had any input that'd help me out. Here's a link to what I'm looking at: 9442A002AA-Canon-EOS-20D.html,http://www.century21electronics.com/193211-366753-1-9442A002,9442A002AA-Canon-EOS-20D.html

Thanks!

-Blake
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-13-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
blake, please buy from reputable shops or online stores, such as b&h photo. and when you come across unbelieveable deals, there's a reason they're advertised so cheap....they'll either bait & switch you or you're getting grey market crap.

when shopping online, always refer to resellerratings.com.

as for century21electronics.com, see for yourself here.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-13-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
Sweet, thanks Joe! According to the website, it's not legitimate. Which is what Antbug and I seemed very possible. That "too good to be true" thing always seems to find me... Damn-it!

-Blake
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-14-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
They claim no "inflated shipping" and a US warranty so if it isn't the real deal then they will probably get you by telling you the 20D by itself is not available and you must get one of their packages. I would agree these "too good to be true" deals usually are but when you're talking about a product soon to be discontinued you never know.

For instance one of my associates just bought a brand new Apple 17" Powerbook with full US warranty for $1800+ (still a current product but near EOL - priced normally around $2500) from a reseller like this. I told him he would never see it and he received it 2 days later!

I think you will start seeing some pretty good legit deals on the 20D although I certainly wouldn't give this one very good odds.

If you do test the water with a seller like this just make sure you use a credit card!

Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-14-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich! I don't think I'll try my luck with these guys... I don't have a good record with "too good to be true" situations.

With that being said... If anyone decides to upgrade from their 20D, and wants to sell it... Let me know, I'd probably be interested.

-Blake
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
blake, sign up for fredmiranda.com. i always see 20d selling there and they're usually from reputable guys. fm's a really reputable site for pics, gear and advice.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-14-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Joe. Antbug referred me to that site, to... I've checked it out, but haven't had enough time to browse around.

What's the word on the 30D? Is is a good idea to wait for that, or pick up someone's 20D who is replacing it for the 30D?

-Blake
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-14-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
FM is a good place to B&S as Joe points out. The forum members themselves kind of police everyone. It's actually kind of funny when a new member posts stuff for sale, they usually get the 3rd degree. I've sold a couple of items there and bought one fairly expensive lens off FM too. I think you'll be seeing a lot of 20D's listed soon. Some are upgrading to the 30D and some to the 5D and 1Dmk2n (those that were expecting more then the 30D is offering featurewise)
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-15-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
Would the 30D be something worth waiting for? I'm as rookie as one can get... I want a nice camera that will take nice shots for wakeboarding and motocross, and those sweet sequence shots. Is the 30D going to benefit me better than the 20D?

I'll definitely check out the site, for their listings... Hopefully I'll be able to pick something up here shortly, so I can stop bugging you guys, especially Antbug! Thanks for all the help.

-Blake
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-15-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
For the difference in price I'd go with the 20D.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
this site looks just like www.bestpricecameras.com. It offers the exact same prices and packages. Does that mean Bestprice isn't legit either?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-28-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
Rily - check out Joe's post about Reseller Ratings.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9662.html

Rich pointed out "US warranty", but you have to be careful! It's a play on words. "US warranty" does NOT necessarily mean "US Manufacture Warranty". A Mack (or similar) warranty could be considered a US Warranty and not offer the same coverage as the manufacture.. Anyway, just something to look out for.

If it's too good to be true, then it is! Why would someone sell you a $10 bill for $7 dollars? It just doesn't make sense.