Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-22-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
Subject Vehicle: 2001 Ford Super Crew Lariat 4x4. My new-to-me truck. The front suspension squeaks like an outhouse door. I can't isolate the component. I have crawled under with spray etc etc. no love.

So I know i am going to have it racked and checked but I was wondering if there is a common squeak on the truck.

I'm thinking ball joints and praying its not control arm bushings. It's more of a steering squeak than a bump squeak but does squeak on bumps and slow turns.

Thanks.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-22-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have a 1999 Expedition that has started to do the exact same thing. I'm like you and praying it's nothing major. I've got to get it checked out soon. Let me know what you find out on yours.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-22-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Does it have a front end leveling kit on it, or is it lower in the front than the back?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-22-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenm View Post
Does it have a front end leveling kit on it, or is it lower in the front than the back?
Not sure about a leveling kit, it looks dead level but sits a little higher than what I consider stock. The tires are 235, one size taler than the 225 stockers. It has newish shocks and silicone drag links bushings but I cant see any other mods. The driveway slopes down accounting for the tilt in the pic. Normally its dead level.
Attached Images

Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-22-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
I asked because I have a 2002 F350 and it squeaks a little but ever since I added a front end leving kit...I dont think yours has one
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-22-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
my 00 has leafs in the front and i have to oil everything underneath
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-22-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Well I just surfed the search feature at the Ford truck forum and the consensus there is split; Half say upper ball joints and the balance of people think the pitman arm is to blame. I will crawl under it with my stethoscope tomorrow and bring back word.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-22-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
The problem here is circled on the grill. hahahaa
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-22-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah, that is the problem. Definitely not nearly as cool as a lowered SUV on 22's.
Old    wakeridinrob            06-22-2010, 10:19 PM Reply   
Lower control arm bushings. Get under the truck with a grease gun and lube everything up.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-23-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   
^^^^ This is where I would start for sure. Hit the obvious / easy to fix stuff first befroe taking it to a shop.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-23-2010, 5:26 AM Reply   
Most coomon problem is the ball joints going bad. Look at the boots on the ball joints they are going to be torn and all the grease will be gone. there is not zerk fitting for a grease gun. you can spray some lube in there but it wont last. If you hear them its time to replace them. Just did a set on a van same susp as your truck. Its pretty common on the ford and dodge pick up and suv.

Last edited by kko13; 06-23-2010 at 5:30 AM.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-23-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kko13 View Post
Most coomon problem is the ball joints going bad. Look at the boots on the ball joints they are going to be torn and all the grease will be gone. there is not zerk fitting for a grease gun. you can spray some lube in there but it wont last. If you hear them its time to replace them. Just did a set on a van same susp as your truck. Its pretty common on the ford and dodge pick up and suv.

Kevin, I am shopping quotes to have that done. My days of heavy suspension work are long gone. What did you pay for that little chore? If you don't mind me asking. For the sake of comparison.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-23-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, that is the problem. Definitely not nearly as cool as a lowered SUV on 22's.
No doubt!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-23-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Sorry I guess I didnt make myslef clear. I am a mechanic boat /car/truck. We did all 4 ball joints parts and labor for around $700 (factory parts-not cheap taiwan crap) It is a pretty labor intensive job being you have to press them in and out on the lower.