Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old    mcbean7            04-28-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
I've got an 88 Ski Centurion with a 351 Ford Indmar motor. I notice that when it is in gear it is moving forward way too fast. I don't want to get busted in a no-wake zone. Also, it was hard taking out the slack in the rope because I was pulling the skier too fast while in gear. Currently, gauge reads 1100 rpm while in gear. What should the engine speed be and how do I adjust this? Thanks in advance.
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
man tune that thign down asap. will blow out your transmission. Idle speed is adjsuted by idle air adjuster screw on the side of the carb. Now you will have a Holley 4 bbl on that, so there is one screw for the 2 main plates. When at idle, I have my Comp set for 800 rpm, then when it hits in gear it drops to around 700 or so, cause you can always give it light taps on the throttle if you want more juice. Its all about saving your tranny on this one. Engine speed to fast, its like doing a neutral drop in moms minivan at about 4500 rpm. And too slow, well, it just wont do any good!

double check your throttle linkage. some of these old boats arent setup properly. By check it i mean, make sure it is engaging in gear before the throttle plates are opening, because if they are openining to soon, puts alot of stress on the trans and will bust somethin.

(Message edited by bigkitch on April 28, 2008)
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-28-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
I am having the exact same problem (same motor). Last time out the boat ran perfect but when we hit the no wake zone on the way in, the boat began this high idle thing. I initially thought it was the throttle return spring or something but i'm going out on weds. to diagnose it. I ran the boat wide open for a while right before it started doing this. I hope its just a simple adjustment.
Old    mcbean7            04-28-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Graham,
Thanks for the reply. Can I hook up the fake-a-lake and make my adjustment at home or should I put it in the lake to do this? Also, after setting it to 800 rpm at neutral, when I throw it in gear do I need to readjust to 700? Thanks.
I'll check the throttle linkage as well. One stupid question-when you say throttle plates are you referring to the little flaps in the carb? When I take the spark arrestor off I can see flaps moving when I move the throttle. If I need to adjust the throttle linkage, where do I do this?
Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-28-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
I have almost the same boat..700ish
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-28-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
You can do it in the driveway, but I have always had to redo mine once on the water. It's a quick adjustment. Remember to adjust equally on both sides.
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2008, 6:51 PM Reply   
JP,

You can set it up in the driveway but I usually do them in the water. Usually you can get about a drop of 100-200 rpm depending on the gear setup in the trans + prop (blade pitch...etc.) A good place to start is around 800-850 rpm at idle, and see how it reacts, just make sure to keep the idle below 1000, anything over is too harsh on the trans.

Usually you will find yourself doing some trial and error until you get a setup that can suit you and the rider just right. Ok, well adjusting the linkage is a bit more complicated because it involves dealing with the actual throttle handle setup as well. So to check this, when in the water, put the into the first detent (meaning into drive), and watch the throttle plates at the same time. If they move anytime during or before the boat is in gear, take it to the marina and get it adjusted because it will blow your trans. This is basically like what i said, imagine taking your car, sittign at idle in neutral, and jsut as shifting into drive, hitting the gas some. It will essentially be like doing a burnout...which boats are not created for!!!!

But yeah, any other questions write back brother.

(Message edited by bigkitch on April 28, 2008)
Old    mcbean7            04-29-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
thanks Graham. I'll start with the idle adjust and will check the throttle linkage also.
Old    mcbean7            04-29-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
When changing spark plugs, do I have to take the exhaust headers off to have room to pull the plugs out? If yes, is it just the four bolts on the side that holds the headers on?
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-29-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
this is something you need to adjust in the water. bumping your boat in and out of gear out of water will fry the strut bushing and dry out the shaft seal. both of which are a pita to replace.
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-29-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
Andy,

Yeah I was more concerned about setting the base idle in the driveway. That wont kill anything, but dont put any inboard in gear outside of the water. The stuffing box requires the boat to be in the water, or else you will ruin the packing.

I dont know if you have to on the yours, but to get the plugs off mine I definatly dont. Just spark socket, extension and a swivel and get em out. Should be pretty similar, considering they are both 351, unless Indmar made some weird changes.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
any update JP?
Old    mcbean7            05-02-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
I just changed the spark plugs last night. They did not look bad at all but since I had it off I put in new ones. I'll put her in the water this weekend and fiddle with the carb. I'm taking Andy's and Graham's advice about not putting it in gear out of water. I'll also check the choke to see if it's working properly. We'll see if that helps. If not, my next move will be to upgrade to electronic ignition. PolarBill, I'll be giving you a call.
NeW HoSeR-I'll update you on monday. Have a great weekend. It's suppossed to by 95' here on sunday.:-)
Old    mcbean7            05-02-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
nEwJ HoSeR-any luck with your boat?
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 10:59 PM Reply   
ill let you know soon.
Old    mcbean7            05-04-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
nEwJ-update: I changed all the plugs to Autolite #24. While in the driveway with the fake-a-lake I fiddled with the idle adjust screw until engine speed at 700. I also turned the idle mix screw all the way in then backed it out 2 revolutions on each side. Motor was purring like a kitty...not to mention started up within 1-2 seconds. I'm very happy.
Took her to the lake...2 pumps from the throttle and she fired right up. After warming up for about 5 minutes I put her in gear and she died. Started right up again, put her in gear and died again. So, i fiddled with the idle adjust until I got her to register 700 while in gear. In neutral she's sitting around 800. Everything sounds good and is running good. We took her around the lake, ran her at 3500 rpms for about 10 minutes. I started smelling something burning, I also see a lot of smoke come out of the exhaust. I also heard some weird buzzing noise, couldn't isolate where it was coming from. Decided to stop and check things out. When I put her in neutral she died. Tried to start, no luck. Cranked but did not turn over. The cranking was much more laborious and slow. I thought I had a dead battery. Flagged down a passing boat. Luckily, he had a spare battery, new and fleshly charged. I hooked it up and cranked...nothing. Same long pull, sounded like the starter didn't even want to turn over. Also, a really bad burning smell coming from motor. I was freaked out. Pulled her back to shore. Got her in the garage and decided to check the impeller. Holy damn...was that thing mangled. I decided to give her a crank to see if she would turn over. She fired up in 2 seconds. I shut things down right away since I know water is not circulating without impeller. To make a long story short...I did fix my high idling problem. Unsure if it was from the new spark plugs or from tweaking the idle adjust and idle mix screws but that problem is resolved. I did learn something new today about the impeller. By the way...when you guys put a new one in, is it supposed to be really tight? I mean you have to force it in there...it doesn't simply and effortlessly slide in right? And what do you use to grease the impeller prior to install?
Old    mcbean7            05-04-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
I forgot to attach the pics of the impeller.
Question-are the ribs supposed to be bent like this? I see new impellers and the ribs are straight. Also, there's a big chunk missing. I checked inside the water pump but could not find it. Should I be worried?Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2008, 8:48 PM Reply   
yeah you should def replace that
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
not going to lie, i've seen worse. Lube with vasoline. Yes they should be bent like that. My high idle problem appearantly solved itself? WTF
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-04-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
Besides the missing chunk, that doesnt' look too bad. Vaseline on it for sure. Maybe it was flooded out when it wouldn't start?
Old    mcbean7            05-05-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
When it's flooded out, does it sound like a dead battery...by that I mean the starter is barely cranking to no cranking?
Also, is there a right and wrong way to install impeller? I remember reading some threads about guys installing it backwards?

(Message edited by mcbean7 on May 05, 2008)